TAH'ers: When did you go out? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH'ers: When did you go out? TAH'ers: When did you go out?

Unread 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Re: TAH'ers: When did you go out?

Hi Deanna, I ventured out of the house with my family about 1.5 weeks after surgery. Surgery was on 3/7 and we went out to get some groceries on 3/18. I didn't really stay in the grocery store very long because of pain, both physical and emotional. What helped me most with the pain was the ice bag and reusable cold compression pad I bought during this trip. Icing the abdominal area really helped reduce the swelling.

I didn't venture out of the house again until the next weekend but after that, I am out of the house daily to send my kids to school and start to have some interaction with their teachers and other human being.

Take your time. Everyone is healing differently. Let your body tell you whether you are ready or not. Just don't overdo it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Well it is easy to see how differently we all heal from the different posts. I myself seem to bounce back from things like this pretty easily. A week after my surgery I had to go to the docs to have my staples taken out so my mom and I made day of it. We went out to lunch after and then, since I had meds to pick up, we did some very slow shopping in walmart. I was totally exhausted by the time we got home, but it was a good tired. After that I took every opportunity to get out of the house that I could. I even drove myself to my moms house a few days before my second week checkup. I've overdone things at times and paid for it by being a bit more sore an tired. At times it even takes a couple of days of more rest and sleep to recover, but then I'm back at it again. I just can't seem to stay put! LOL! I just recently hit my 6 week mark and for the most part feel really good. Doc gave me heck for doing some of the things I do but I figure I'll do what I want as long as it feels good. When I feel it pinch or hurt I stop and find something easier to do.
Everybodies body is different, you just gotta do what feels right for yourself!
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Wow, Sisters! Thank you all for your responses.. It's helped me put this recovery into a better perspective. I think.. I know.. I went into this thinking the recovery would be similar to the two c-sections I had previously, but it's not at all. Of course, they did a lot more inside there this time!

So my husband is helping me set more realistic goals.. today is just to go outside and stand in the sun - living in WA, we haven't had a lot of sun lately, and it's Easter weekend! I'm trying to coax him into a car ride, but we'll see how the getting downstairs to the outside goes first. This coming Tuesday 04/10 will be two weeks.. yay! 2 week post-op check is 04/12.. so if we don't get out today, I can at least look forward to getting out then.

Thank you all for your wisdom and encouragement
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM

Deanna,
We all heal at such different rates. Do what is right for you.
My doc never gave me stair restrictions, just told me to take it slow and I would be ok. Our bedroom and shower are upstairs, so I was on them at least 3-4 times a day.
At one week my MIL drove me to my check-up. I was driving at 2 weeks, that was with a pillow across my lap so the belt wouldn't rub.
We are house shopping, so I have been in and out of the car and up and down stairs for about 10 days now. I would tire easily when we first started, but am doing great now.
I do have to say that sitting on a hard surface is difficult after a while. We stopped at the bar the other day for dinner and after about an hour on the barstool, I needed to go home. Once home I was better, just needed some cushion for the backside.
I did find that I'm still not comfortable pushing a shopping cart. I grabbed it yesterday without thinking and made it about 10 steps before my body sent me a slight "I don't think so" message.
I just got to a point where I am comfortable walking the dog, she is only 6 pounds, but I thought better safe than sorry. She is very thankful that I am feeling better, dad only takes her on short walks, mom does the long ones.
Enjoy your Easter weekend. You will feel better soon, it just takes some time. Two weeks is still early in recovery, let your husband pamper you. It sounds like he has your best interest at heart.
Kim
Unread 04-07-2012, 12:58 PM

I went out for the first time for a doctor's appointment follow up at 2 weeks. Did a pharmacy visit on that day and a little trip to the grocery store. I made little trips to the grocery store after that as i was cleared to drive at 2 weeks. My first outing was lunch with my best friend at the one month mark.
Unread 04-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzielou View Post
just getting out of the house for 20 minutes a day made me emotionally feel great. I would sit on the porch in the sun and feel wonderful. Remember to listen to your body and rest often. Good luck to you! You will feel better soon!
Everyone recovers at her own pace, and it really isn't a smooth upward slope. It is up and down; I still have days on the couch where I'm not back at week 1, but I just can't handle anything more. But it really does get better!

I'm almost 6 weeks post-op, with spastic cerebral palsy (tight, jumpy muscles). Beginning week 2, I too enjoyed sitting in the sun. It was warm, rejuvenating, gave me a hint of color (instead of my pasty, hospital splotchiness), and the bugs weren't bad (I can't stand bugs!). Also around that time I began going to visit my special needs daughter an hour away. I had someone drive, and we only went for 30-45 minutes, with 4-6 days between. It really wiped me out! I'm nearly back to my normal 3 trips a week, and I'm driving! But my boyfriend still goes as backup and to carry laundry.

Take care of you, however you need to.
Unread 04-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Two weeks post op, I was feeling pretty good. I had to travel out of town for surgery (350 miles from home). My husband drove down with me for the surgery, and drove me home after I was discharged. Did better than I expected on the ride home, but I slept or dozed most of the way. My two-week post-op checkup, I flew down. My local airport is small, and relatively easy to get around in. At the larger airport, I swallowed my pride and got wheelchair assistance, was taken directly to the taxi stand, got in a taxi and straight to the doctor. On the return, I used wheelchair assitance again at the larger airport. I did real well in the morning, but in the early afternoon as I was waiting for my flight home, my energy just drained out and I could hardly walk. I didn't do anything rough that would tear out stitches for anything, but I slept almost the entire next day, and a good part of the day after that. I was so tired.

I'm three weeks post-op now, and I have driven myself around a bit. I went to the post office yesterday. A few days before that I went to the store for a couple of personal items. Both of those left me tired. My mental energy and alterness are good, but physically I still tire easily. I

t's nice to get out just to be out of the house - but if you go anywhere, marshal your energy. If you want to take the exchange student out, then take a long afternoon nap. If you're not sleepy, lay down with a good book and stay horizontal for as long as you can stand it, so you can save up your energy for the dinner out.
Unread 04-07-2012, 03:11 PM

At 9 days post op I went on a half hour ride to the hospital and back, then at 11 days went an hour away to my MIL's birthday party. The next day it was very warm out so I spent most of the day out on the deck. I haven't been anywhere this past week though, and going to MIL's for Easter tomorrow sounds exhausting already. I was one of those who did well in weeks 1 and 2, but week 3 is wearing me out. I spend most of my days on the couch, propped up with pillows and with my laptop. I have a 4 year old so I get plenty of walking done around the house taking care of her and doing some small household chores. I feel better when I'm up and moving around, but I get tired after 10-15 minutes and have to sit back down.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register