Kept ovaries, but menopause??? Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kept ovaries, but menopause??? Help Kept ovaries, but menopause??? Help

Unread 10-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Kept ovaries, but menopause??? Help

So, had surgery about 13 weeks ago, kept ovaries. At 6 wk check up doc said all was fine. I even asked about hormones and would I need them. I told him I'd had some hot flashes, I thought. He said no, everything was good. I had asked before if I was in perimenopause and he told me no. Said my hormones were good.

Well, my endocrinologist did a blood test recently and sent me a letter with my results and it said I'm now in menopause. My numbers even indicate post-menopausal. How can you go through menopause in a little over a month???? How can this be? Anyone else experience this?

I was just at my gyn last week for granulation. I told him I was still having some pains and bad swelling recently. He said he thought it was just healing. He said if I was still having issues in Nov he'd do a CT. Could they be connected? Any input or feedback very much appreciated.

I'm so shocked and strangely upset considering they already took most of my girl parts. Why should this have me so upset. Maybe being told in a letter had something to do with it. I'm just feeling very sad and frustrated. I just keep wondering if I should have pushed for the CT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Re: Kept ovaries, but menopause??? Help

During a hysterectomy the blood supply to the ovaries can be cut off. It can take some time for them to begin working optimally again. I would give it some more time and ask to be retested in a few months.

Unread 10-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Kept ovaries, but menopause??? Help

While you're waiting for your ovaries to resume normal functioning, avoid common flash triggers; that includes smoking, caffeine, alcohol, overly hot or spicy foods, and rapid temperature changes. If the hot flashes are disrupting your sleep, keep your bedroom around 60-65°, wear loose fitting, cotton nightclothes, and arrange your bedding in layers that can be added or removed as needed. Also, if you have no issues with eating soy, then 1-2 daily servings can help with hormonal balance. Hopefully, things will return to normal soon. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2015, 03:53 PM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info and support. It would be nice if it's temporary.
Unread 10-25-2015, 04:30 PM

My surgery was done in Feb of this year. I also kept my ovaries. I initially had some issues and was so concerned that I was going to go into menopause. I can tell you now that I am doing great and things are back to normal. Our bodies go through so much and it takes a while for everything to heal including our ovaries. Hang in there and give yourself time to heal.
Unread 10-26-2015, 06:51 PM

I am 6 weeks post op today 😊. I had hot flashes before the surgery but I have not had any since the surgery. I am waiting to see what happens in the next few months
Unread 10-26-2015, 10:11 PM

I did talk to my doc who reviewed the endocrinologists lab work and says they say I'm in menopause. He thinks maybe my birth control masked it previously. Now that I'm off the pill it shows the truth. I don't know. He did have me get a CT and I have an appt with him tomorrow to discuss results and, more than likely, hormone treatment.

He just kept saying, "this is really interesting". He sounded like he's stumped. I guess we will see tomorrow. I just get the feeling that if he doesn't understand whats going on, it's just gonna be one of those things that never gets really explained and I'm just supposed to accept it. Seems to me if bc masked menopause, there would be an awful lot of women not knowing they went through it except for no period and that just isn't what you hear.

I guess I have no control over this, so I will just see what he says tomorrow.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register