Bleeding after Mirena | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bleeding after Mirena Bleeding after Mirena

Unread 03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Bleeding after Mirena

Hi ladies, I've been dx'd w/complex hyperplasia, no atypia. First dr recommended hyster; second dr said hyster or could try Mirena; third dr very much suggested trying Mirena first. My PCP was comfortable w/having me try Mirena, so that's what I did. I was *extremely* nervous having it inserted and it was a very uncomfortable procedure - but I made it through okay. I was pretty stressed and the dr was incredibly gracious and supportive - I have a feeling she w/be my gyn for life. As she was rubbing my arm and soothing me, I seem to recall her saying that I could expect light bleeding/spotting for a while. First day or 2 had a little bleeding, to be expected after all that. About a week, no bleeding, HEAVEN! Then the bleeding started - kind of like a fairly heavy period, shedding lining, etc. One day passed big clots and broke down crying--just want bleeding to STOP!! Clots stopped but back to bleeding every single day :O( Called dr, assistant called me back and said bleeding is to be expected for 2-3 months! I truly must have misunderstood because I'm so disappointed so far (one month) - what has been your experience? Thanks --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Re: Bleeding after Mirena

Hi from what I can remember when I had my first one fitted about 8 years ago i bled on and off for up to 3 months but it was'nt heavy and I was then fine having the 2nd one fitted 5 years later and then after 7 years my problems started that led to my op.
Hope it gets better for you.
Unread 03-15-2012, 01:05 PM

I had the Mirena put in place to control heavy bleeding and cramping. My doctor said it can take 6 months to settle into a pattern. I don't recall having more bleeding but I did have the expected spotting between periods and then my periods became like a "normal" person's periods. They were still 7 days long but I didn't have to change things all the time and my cramps became mild. I was finally no longer anemic, too.

I kept it in for 15 months. I had it removed because, while my periods were now "normal" and I had more energy, I had (not expected) constant spotting or draining all the time when I was not bleeding far beyond the initial 6 month time frame. I was dealing with some other major health issues so it was helpful to have it, but once I got better, the spotting drove me crazy and I had it removed.

If you doctor is not concerned, I would try to hang in there for at least a couple more months and see how it goes. But if you are having constant bleeding like you are describing (not just on your period), call her back.

After I had the Mirena removed, I had clots again and my periods were starting to become back to my normal, which is not good. I was amazed at how bad my cramps were without it. I had forgotten. (I am waiting on hyster pathology and am expecting an adenomyosis dx.) I had decided against trying ablation because I was tired of feeling like a guinea pig; hyster was my only other option I hadn't yet tried.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I hope things improve for you and the Mirena works out. BTW, when it is removed, it does not hurt and only takes a couple seconds. Your cycle could be a little weird after that for awhile but should return to your normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2012, 02:29 AM

Hi there - I just this week had my mirena removed 13 days after it was put in (for treatment of adenomyosis) because it was causing me incredible pain, to the point of contraction like cramping - it was as if my body was trying to push the device out of me literally. I had several visits back to the hospital where it had been inserted during larger surgery before I could convince them to take it out as they were insisting that it was a good treatment for adeno, and it usually calmed down for most women within a couple of months. I couldn't bear the pain, and the bleeding had started too, so when I finally had a doctor agree to take it out, he told me that 19 out of 20 women in this situation tolerated the mirena and it worked well for them - I was just one of the 20 it didn't work for. Seems to me that those odds were not great and I wonder why so many medicos were trying to convince me it was 'normal' given the severity of my symptoms.
However, each of us are individual, and I guess you need to weigh up what the benefits of keeping going with the mirena are for your condition, what the alternatives (Plan B and C and possibly D) would be, and how much you, yourself (not anyone else) is prepared to put up with.
I wish you luck and hope you find things settle down fast.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register