Endometrial biopsy, urodynamics | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial biopsy, urodynamics Endometrial biopsy, urodynamics

Unread 02-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Endometrial biopsy, urodynamics

OK, ladies, I have both these procedures sched'd for Tuesday (2/11). My dh can't go b/c of an all-day meeting @ his work. Doc says I don't need meds -- but first doc I saw prescribed one valium and one vicodin (said to take the valium and half the vicodin pre-procedure and the rest of the vicodin thereafter for pain.)

Who's zoomin' who? (as Aretha used to say.) The doc says the canula them use to enter the cervix is less than .8 cm but the idea of someone poking around in there and snipping off a piece of my uterine lining does not sound pain free!

Thoughts?

Yes, I'm a big

Thanks, y'all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2003, 08:55 AM

Hi Leenda,
Which test are you having done first? If the urodynamics test is after the biopsy, you may want to reschedule the biopsy for another day when someone can go with you. The reason being is because you shouldn't or may not want to drive while the vicodin and valium are in your system. Which dr. says you don't need meds? Are you having the biopsy done by a different dr.?

You should also check with the urologist before the urodynamics test if scheduled after the biopsy because if you have a urodynamics test while vicodin is in your system, you may not get an accurate test result. Narcotic pain meds like vicodin can cause urinary retention. I always have some trouble with retention after I have taken vicodin. Check this link below for others experience with the procedure. The biopsy sounds painful and I for one wouldn't want to go through it without some type of pain relief. Good luck.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=89866
Unread 02-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi Leenda,

I've had two endometrial biopsies. In my experience, they were not very comfortable at all! But with the second one, I drove myself there during my lunch break at work, then drove myself back to work afterwards and finished out the day. When I got home that evening, a heating pad and some Motrin took away most of the discomfort.

I didn't have a lot of actual pain with either one, more like cramping and some spotting for a couple of days. However, a lot of ladies have much more discomfort than I did. (I have a very high pain threshhold!) Also, if you've ever had children, there seems to be much less discomfort. (I think it's because the cervix is easier to dialate.)

I would definitely take someone with you that can drive you home, as you never know how you're going to react, and as HappyCM3 said, you don't want to drive with pain meds in your system.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Endo Bio not so bad

I've had one endometrial biopsy before (in 1992) and one scheduled for next Tuesday, 2/11. Had my cervix numbed the first time & will have it numbed again (the needle was a bit unnerving but one just closes ones eyes & goes to happy place). Inside the uterus, the snipping was indeed uncomfortable but of such short duration it never became intolerable. So I expect to get through it OK the 2nd time too. I do not know what urodynamics are but personally would not want 2 procedures of endo bio intensity in one day without at least some sort of reward at the end (dinner out, shopping, etc.). Self indulgence rules!
Unread 02-09-2003, 10:16 AM

Hi!

I had an endometrial biopsy, too. Yes, it hurt for a few moments, but not really worse than the cramping I had with my period....I've also had a cystoscopy done, and that pinched a little more than the biopsy. Of course, the guy doing the cystoscopy apparently hadn't heard of numbing the urethra, or applying lidocaine to the scope...silly man. I was also very tense, so that obviously didn't help!

All in all though, both procedures were basically tolerable without pain meds (I wasn't given any...at all)...but as we each have different pain tolerances and thresholds, I'd probably give each doctor a call and ask each what they recommend...and as someone else mentioned, it's worth noting that narcotics can sometimes disrupt urology-related test results.

Good luck...and relax

Tess
Unread 02-09-2003, 10:21 AM
I think medication is overkill

I've had a few endometrial biopsies. The pain is like menstrual cramping and lasts for a few seconds. Medication never touched menstrual cramps for me and taking strong medication to try to take care of pain that only lasts a very short time seems like overkill to me. As for the Valium, it's probably to relax a woman and could be handy if she's really scared, but again, the procedure is so short that it's not worth having to sit around while it wears off so you can drive.

Joselle
Unread 02-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Thanks for inputs!

Appreciate all the info -- nothing like hearing from the "end-users" (!!!)

I'm a big chicken but I can tolerate pain fairly well . . . even tried once to have a tooth filling done w/o numbing. Needless to say, that was a mistake and I screeched for the novocaine!!

I did have my last child 13 years ago sans any meds at all -- not even for the episiotomy which by that time felt like a relief. Now by the time I was 7 cm. dilated I WANTED the meds but couldn't have 'em, all to say: I survived. I had a cystoscopy years ago w/o meds and survived, although I did have a q-tip anointed with anesthetic jammed up my poor urethra prior to the test. Some of these docs can be pretty barbaric.

Anyway, I've decided to go on by myself and am planning on calling a friend if I decide I really need a ride home. Yes, I do think having childen previously tends to make the cervical opening a bit larger which is why so often, after childbirth, one's menstrual cramping eases up. Well, at least mine did until a few years ago, alas!

Thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register