4 days post hysterectomy: Should I be in this much pain that I can't walk or stand up straight. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days post hysterectomy: Should I be in this much pain that  I can't walk or stand up straight. 4 days post hysterectomy: Should I be in this much pain that I can't walk or stand up straight.

Unread 05-21-2015, 10:07 PM
4 days post hysterectomy: Should I be in this much pain that I can't walk or stand up straight.

Hi
I had a hysterectomy on the 18th may 2015, so still very early days.
I just wanted to know if the symptoms I'm experiencing are normal.

I have a servere burning sensation in the scar area.
I can't seem to stand up straight.
When I get up from sleeping, (I'm only sleeping for a couple of hrs)
It feels like everything is going to drop out. With the burning and not being able to stand up straight, it has taken me nearly an her to get from my bedroom to the toilet and then downstairs.
Very painful and tummy is swollen. I have a back brace for my back problems and thought I would put it on.
Can't get it round my tummy at all, will this go down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Re: Should I be in this much pain that I can't walk or stand up straight.

I can't speak for abdominal problems, but you are still really swollen. Ones with experience will come along and give you some hints. Also, post on your surgery date thread where others that are in the same time post op can share and you won't feel so alone. It should be the first thread in the list.

You might want to call your doctor about a binder. And make sure you keep on top of the pain with whatever you are taking for pain. Pain will make it harder to recover.
Unread 05-22-2015, 01:57 AM

Hello Shazza and welcome to this wonderful community!

A lot of what you are describing sounds normal to me. I clearly remember the burning sensation, I walked around for weeks slightly hunched over and I didn't sleep well at first. The best part is that you will feel better and better as each day goes by. Your body has been through major trauma and it is going to take nothing but time to recover from this surgery mentally, physically and emotionally and we are all here to support you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2015, 02:27 AM

Thank you so much.
I only found out in February of this yr that all this was going to happen as I had my bladder looked at.
They then found this large fibroid that was stuck to everything.
The surgeon did say he had a hard time getting it out.
My tummy is very rounded. I do hope this will go down.

Thank you all so much for your replies and support. Xxx
Unread 05-22-2015, 03:37 AM
Re: 4 days post hysterectomy: Should I be in this much pain that I can't walk or stand up straight.

What are you taking for pain meds? At the time I was released from the hospital (day 3), I was already off narcotics. I was told to take OTC ibuprofen and acetaminophen for *minor* pain, but to call the hospital for *major* pain. I could walk easily and stand up straight. If I hadn't been able to do these things, I would have called the hospital and asked them for stronger meds.

The swollen abdomen ("swelly belly") may be with you a while. You might want to call the place you bought your back brace from and ask if it's possible to buy extensions. I can't imagine that having to do without your brace is helping the situation.
Unread 05-22-2015, 06:31 AM
Re: 4 days post hysterectomy: Should I be in this much pain that I can't walk or stand up straight.

Try to avoid walking hunched over. It will not make you feel any better, and you are putting extra strain on your back. Your back is working extra hard because it is taking over some of the work your abs used to do. Plus, if you keep walking that way, your incisions will heal too tightly and you'll have trouble standing up if you want to.

I don't have back problems, but as Surprised suggested, can you have your brace resized to fit? Does the doctor or therapist you see for your back issues know about your hysterectomy? Your abs and back work together and you may need to readjust any treatment you are getting for your back.

Don't be afraid to take strong pain medicine, if you need it. You are better off taking pain meds and moving your body than lying around because you are in too much pain. At day 4, I was still in hospital and taking codeine and paracetamol several times a day, but I was also walking around the hospital and climbing stairs.
Unread 05-22-2015, 10:43 AM

I didn't have a burning sensation but the rest of it sounds about right for four days post op. I left the hospital late in the afternoon of my fourth day. I felt like I had to walk hunched over...that I couldn't stretch my torso out. The tugging staple pain didn't help either. I was still taking prescription pain meds as well as Tylenol and Motrin at that point....actually I still am only mite stretched out over time. Pain and pain med use are different for everyone. I have a big belly so that causes more pain to and I'd never had pain or needed pain meds before in my life so my tolerance to pain is pretty low.

Also as much as it stinks the more you walk around the better you will feel. Don't do anything crazy and over due it though. I hated when the nurses wanted me to walk a lap around the hospital floor once or twice a day while I was there but I knew I had to do it. I found it hurt when I first got up and going then I felt a little better but by the end I was tired and hurting again. I took my time. I also use to time trips to the bathroom around when I had the most pain meds in me. If I woke up in the am and hadn't had any I took them right away and waited 30 minutes to get up.

Do you have a binder? I didn't use one in the hospital because it hurt like hell wearing it over the staples and the mini wound vac I had...probably not helped by the blisters that ended up being under the wound vac....but I recently tried it again and it helps so much with the everything falling out feeling,
Unread 05-22-2015, 12:19 PM

Thank you ladies.
I have had a bath, thank god.
Changed dressing and sat in the garden enjoying the sun.
I have been walking around and I'm a little straighter.
I havnt done anything out of the ordinary so now I have bad swollen legs above the knees, and a feeling of something stuck in my throat.
Just had a tea now going to bed as exhausted and legs are worrying me. Xx
Unread 05-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzamarkley View Post
I have had a bath, thank god.
Sounds like you are doing just fine.
Did your discharge instructions state that having a bath so soon would be okay? I was not allowed to have one for 6 weeks and when I went for my 6 week post op check up and she examined my vaginal cuff she extended soaking in the bathtub for a few more weeks. Everyone's instructions will be different as well.

Have a great weekend
Unread 05-22-2015, 02:49 PM
4 days post hysterectomy: Should I be in this much pain that I can't walk or stand up straight.

Yes! A TAH hurts! And the burning sensation, I had with my C sect but not my TAH. It's the nerves firing back up. It took me a good week and a half to walk standing up straight, but the pain and swelling lasts much longer.

Hang in there! This too shall pass.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register