Do you think I can do this? Driving kids to therapy after hysterectomy... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you think I can do this? Driving kids to therapy after hysterectomy... Do you think I can do this? Driving kids to therapy after hysterectomy...

Unread 04-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Do you think I can do this? Driving kids to therapy after hysterectomy...

Hello, before surgery, my life consisted of homeschooling my 2 kids and taking them to various therapy's throughout the week as they both have dyspraxia. I told the therapists that I would have to wait a week or so after surgery before I knew when we would be able to resume therapies. The one we have at the school for my 5 year old I think I can resume next week, it is just a matter of driving 5 minutes, and me sitting on a chair in the hall while she has 30 minutes of speech therapy and then 30 minutes of occupational therapy then driving 5 minutes home.
But then both of my kids have occupational therapy privately in a town about 45 minutes away. This involves driving 45 minutes, I wait with one child while one goes in for 45 minutes of therapy, then when that one is done, I wait with the other while the second one goes in for 45 minutes of therapy. They never want to just sit while we are waiting, so we usually go to the snack shop, then there is talking with the therapist after so the time there turns in to 2 hours, then there is the 45 minute drive home. To me right now, this sounds exhausting! What do you all think? Does this sound to soon to start? I am having a hard time guaging how much this will take out of me......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Re: Do you think I can do this? Kids to therapy...

Sounds exausting to me too! Is there anyone else who can take them or at least drive you? Would it be a big deal for them to miss another week? I worry you wouldn't have the energy to drive back.
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Re: Do you think I can do this? Kids to therapy...

I didn't have the same surgery as you but I did have posterior and anterior repairs on top of my DvH. So maybe some comparison in recovery. I think it would have been hard for me to do the drive and sit up for 45min. The waiting shouldn't be too bad as you can get up and down a little and change your position. I didn't do any hr trip where I drove until maybe 4wks. Could you get a friend to go and then she could drive and you would be able to move or shift your position. It will be very tiring and you will need to have your feet up as soon as you are home. Good luck.
Hugs,
Anndy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Do you think I can do this? Driving kids to therapy after hysterectomy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anndy View Post
I didn't have the same surgery as you but I did have posterior and anterior repairs on top of my DvH. So maybe some comparison in recovery. I think it would have been hard for me to do the drive and sit up for 45min. The waiting shouldn't be too bad as you can get up and down a little and change your position. I didn't do any hr trip where I drove until maybe 4wks. Could you get a friend to go and then she could drive and you would be able to move or shift your position. It will be very tiring and you will need to have your feet up as soon as you are home. Good luck.
Hugs,
Anndy
Thank you guys, I was thinking the same thing......exhausting! It was kind of exhausting before the surgery. it won't be the end of the world if they miss a month! It helps to get feedback!
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Re: Do you think I can do this? Driving kids to therapy after hysterectomy...

Julie,
A month sounds great. By then I was able to do a lot of things as long as I planned rest in between. And of course I was careful about any twisting, lifting,etc. again good luck. I was a homeschool mom also. Now I help homeschool my grand kids.
Hugs,
Anndy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register