I just don't want food...anybody else lose their appetite? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I just don't want food...anybody else lose their appetite? I just don't want food...anybody else lose their appetite?

Unread 07-24-2008, 09:25 AM
I just don't want food...anybody else lose their appetite?

I never even thought about this until I found this thread. I don't get hunger pangs very much still. I even forgot I didn't eat breakfast yesterday, until about 12:30 when I got really shaky and sweaty, like low blood sugar, and decided to eat. My eyes are definately bigger than my tummy...I put food out that I would normally eat, and think I might even have seconds. I can barely finish the firsts. I have noticed things DO taste different!

I do take a vitamin, and I'm not going to worry for now. I need to lose about 20 some more pounds that I was working on before surgery. I had hoped to crack down and get much closer to my "max" weight, but only managed about 15 or 20 of the total. If my appetite stays down now, especially while I can't really exercise, that will be a good thing for ME.

I'm just going to make sure I keep eating a healthy variety and taking my vitamin.

ETA: I forgot to mention that, yes, I do get gassy and usually have to go to the bathroom when I eat a full meal. Maybe that is part of it, subconsciously? I think that is still my digestive system trying to figure out where it belongs down there, LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2008, 09:28 AM

I am seven weeks out and didn't have much of an appetite up until about week 5, then it snuck up on me and I got it back, darn it. I was doing so good eating smaller meals. The chocolate cravings are back too, I just don't give into them.
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:48 AM

Hi there Brilamar,

It sounds as though you are having a very, very rough go of it, and I am so sorry to hear of this I am also very concerned about you!

I would suggest a couple of things: I went to www.premarin.com and checked out the prescribing info for patients, and looked at side-effects. Maybe you should look at this site. Some side-effects did include abdominal cramping, nausea and vomiting. Also, you might want to start a thread regarding Premarin and side effects (not sure if here or under the hormone section?) where you might find more folks with experience with Premarin. Get some more feedback, and then I would talk again to your doc and assure him/her that this is not all in your head.

Have you tried drinking Ensure Plus? I know it probably does not sound good, but it is what has sustained me for most of my post-op period, and comes in 3-4 flavors--my doc recommended it three times a day, to make sure I was getting some nutrition during my extreme loss of appetite/weight loss.

Please, please take care of yourself, and I will keep you in my thoughts--I wish you the very best in getting well soon. Please do keep us posted.

Sincerely, Trish
Unread 07-27-2008, 06:40 PM

Hello,
I'm only 12 days post op and I used to have a healthy appetite and now I just mainly pick at my food. I'm always thinking that it meant I had a problem with recovery, but I hear it improves with time. On the upside of this we are not going through it alone, so I feel a little better already. Try eating small portions or nutritional drinks in between your meals.

Take care,

Carlie
Unread 07-27-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlrp
I'm 3 weeks post-op and I still just don't feel like eating. It was understandable at first as I was on a liquid diet for 4 days in the hospital. But by now I sure thought I'd have my appetite back. Overall it's a blessing in disguise I guess, as I've lost 20 pounds. But something about it doesn't feel right.

Does anybody else feel like this...like eating is something you do only because you have to?

This is exactly my story...I have no appetite either. I've lost 25 pounds now...I can stand to lose the weight but I have days I don't eat anything but juice or vitamin water. Eating makes me physically ill. I am having a really hard time with going to the bathroom. I saw my dr at 2 weeks and told him...he wasn't worried...I'm overweight so...? But now it's been 4 weeks tomorrow I haven't been eating. I see him tuesday. My husband makes me eat something everyday. But I am lucky to choke down a 1/4 of a sandwich and my stomach starts to cramp a bit. ICK

I have IBS, so I am usually in the bathroom and always going, but now I struggle to use the bathroom...and I am taking stool softeners regularly...off the pain meds...taking antacids and my aciphex for my acid reflux...but I can't eat.

You know how misery loves company. I'm in the same boat.
Unread 07-28-2008, 10:11 PM

Wow. My appetite returned in about 7 days. Maybe it's because I was not on any medications or hormones.

However, just yesterday I mentioned to my sister that I've tried several different popular coffee houses, and either the coffee is old or my tastes have changed. Coffee is now GROSS. And I so love to enjoy a nice cup of joe after a good meal.
Unread 07-29-2008, 05:50 PM

My appetite is gone too. I'm one week out. I don't mind as I'm about 65 lbs. overweight. I've always been a junk food and carb and sugar addict so I'm taking this as a blessing in disguise to change my eating habits. I know I HAVE to eat so I choose things that are low sugar, low carbs, high protein. My DH will make me a scrambled egg with a side of fruit for breakfast and I eat most of it. Lunch is usually 1/2 a turkey sandwich, again with a side of fruit and dinner is grilled chicken. I can't ever eat all of it but I imagine that will change.

I have a terribly slow metabolism so since I can't exercise I doubt I'll lose any weight but hopefully the habits will stick.

I am sorry (original poster) for all you've been through. It sounds awful. I hope you start feeling better soon and that you are able to eat more and maintain your strength. (((HUGS)))
Unread 07-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Wontmissit,

Thank you for your post. Just this last week I have been able to start eating better. My appetite is still not great, but it seems to be a little better (I'm now 4 weeks post-op). Yesterday I went back to work. I'm a teacher, so right now "work" means sitting through meetings and trainings, so it's not too bad. So far it feels good to get back to "normal life" activities.

As far as food goes, I think I will just keep eating healthy food as much as possible. I've lost 25 pounds now, but I needed to lose the weight, so no big deal I guess.

Thanks again...I hope everything goes well for you. It's great that you're eating healthy now!

Desert

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register