How do I ask the Gyn about this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do I ask the Gyn about this? How do I ask the Gyn about this?

Unread 02-09-2005, 09:26 PM
How do I ask the Gyn about this?

I hope this is not a stupid question, but not one I have seen on the board. I am scheduled for surgery next Tuesday...I have to say I am looking forward to this and have no qualms about the surgery. I thought my bleeding problems had stopped but bled all last week, stopped for a day and started again today.

Okay for my stupid question....When the gyn does the surgery does he automatically tighten the vagina with the stitches from the removal of the cervix and uterus or is that something I need to mention. I would like him to make whatever repairs are necessary to just correct this...I really do not know what you call this ...Is it a repair...remodeling to the vaginal area...? Seriously, what do you ask? I would like to call him before the surgery.

Also does it matter if you are bleeding during the hysterectomy? Of course, if it does he would not be able to operate since I almost always seem to be bleeding!

Thanks for anything you can share!

GH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2005, 09:54 PM

I would ask just the way you did here.. can you do anything to tighten the vagina? If you are asking "wrong" it will at least start the discussion.

Bleeding won't stop the surgery.
Unread 02-10-2005, 12:33 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure if that type of repair would be automatic or not. The best thing would be to discuss this with your doctor, as only he or she would know for sure.

As for bleeding during surgery, don't worry, many, many women, including myself have surgery while on our periods. In many cases, surgery would be impossible if we had to wait until we weren't!

Best wishes on your surgery and s,

Lisa

PS: By the way, you can post these types of questions on the pre-op board. Most of the Princess spend a lot of time there answering the questions for the Ladies in Waiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2005, 12:40 PM

Sahshi,

Thanks for your post...I did try to post this at pre-op, but no one answered...Or I only got one response. That board seems to move very fast.

GH
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:35 PM

I met with my doctor prior to my surgery in his office. I brought with me a typed list of questions and he and I both went over each question.

On the day of my surgery, I had two typed lists of questions. One was for the anesthesologist. The other was for my doctor. We all went over the questions that were on the paper prior to surgery. One of the questions to my doctor was "just what all will you be doing, i.e., cutting muscles, etc." He and I were very specific about the surgical procedure, post-op recovery, in-hospital recovery and at home recovery.

I went the "written" route because I was afraid that I would forget some of my questions.

Good luck to you.
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:38 PM

I called my doctor today and he will not be doing the reconstruction of that area..

Thanks for your responses....
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:42 PM

anterior and posterior repairs will "tighten" things. these repairs are not "standard" procedure; they are usually done to help with future prolapse and/or general reconstruction of the vagina. If you think you need to have these repairs done you should bring it to your Dr's attention prior to surgery. However most Dr's after examination will inform the patient as to whether an A/P repair will be done/needed along with the hysterectomy.
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:56 PM

GH, all the best to you! Never a stupid question. Sending you strength in asking your doc about this. Heck, take your post and show it to him/her. Good luck!
  Quote:
Bleeding won't stop the surgery. [/b]
needed to hear that, I'm about ready to take some Provera just to bleed, and get the cramps over with.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register