belly messages | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

belly messages belly messages

Unread 01-21-2001, 10:15 PM
belly messages

Hey I came up with another message to my doc that my DH is going to put on my tummy right before I go in for surgery on 2/3/01....I am going to have him draw a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAKE" on my tummy. My surgery date is also my birthday!

My only problem is what should I use to draw it on there with? If I use betadine, will it wash off when they prep my tummy for the surgery? DH wants to use permanent marker!

Any suggestions on what to use to write with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2001, 10:23 PM
belly messages

I wimped out on doing a belly message, and instead asked my DH to write a note on my arm, right near my info bracelet (I figured they'd look there).

Keep in mind that someone will probably scrub and shave you before the doctor sees you. For my hyst the nursing assitant did that in my room, before I ever went into pre-op. I don't think a message would have survived her soapy sponges and shaving gel.

You might try putting the drawing on your upper thigh - then it won't be in the way of scrubbing or cutting, but will probably still be visible.

If you're going to use ink, try a "test drawing" ASAP - you don't want any allergic reactions going on the day of your surgery.

Maybe Crayola makes some non-toxic "washable" markers, and you could do color and everything (on your leg).

Have fun!
Unread 01-21-2001, 10:28 PM
belly messages

Marilyn Monroe did this prior to her appendectomy or some such abdominal surgery, it said not to leave scars...VERY COOL, LADIES!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2001, 10:47 PM
belly messages

Perhaps some of the bathtub body paints? I've seen them at "upscale" toy stores.
Just an idea
by the way, I would be concerned about using permanent marker near the surgical field, wouldn't it be a bummer to have your surgery cancelled for having writing on your tummy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register