Anybody working out again at 6 wks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody working out again at 6 wks? Anybody working out again at 6 wks?

Unread 05-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Anybody working out again at 6 wks?

Was wondering if anybody got the okay from their Dr. 6 weeks post-op to start working out again? I go for my six week check up this Thurs (May 19) and I'm hoping to get the okay.

If anybody out there has got the ok do you have any lifting restrictions or any restrictions for that matter.

Hope all is feeling as well as I am!!!
Take care
Salty94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 05:59 PM

Yup. I was back to Jazzercise (although very low impact!) at 4 weeks, dr said no more than 5 lb weights then--I was ready to go up to 10lb right before my surgery! At my 6 week checkup he said I could go back up to 8's, but I still am struggling with them...I lost a lot of muscle in the weeks before/after my LAVH when I couldn't do ANYTHING except lay around and be miserable.
Right now I am about 10 wk out and pretty much back to normal with cardio/high impact, abdominal/floor work is OK, almost back to where I was before all of my medical adventures started. Dr wouldn't let me go back to dodgeball (I'm in a league) until 8 weeks post surgery.
Other than a few bladder "twinges" once in awhile, I am feeling pretty good....thank heaven for my estrogen patch, because without it I am a total mess!!

isewquilts
Unread 05-15-2005, 06:01 PM
working out

I had TAH/BSO with liposuction April 26 and started working out 8 days later. Course I am a lifelong athlete with an education and career in movement training. I started by doing minor moves, avoiding stretching and weight bearing. I still find carrying a heavy purse or grocery bag too much, but not some ballet, yoga and Pilates. I am astonished at how well my recovery is going, fitting into jeans now too big, not much swelling-after a workout and sauna. Right now I think Ballet work is perfect. It strenghthens tha pelvic floor, does not involve impact (yet). I keep the range of motion small and comfortable, love first position (legs together) anything. I also started using an elastic band to work on arms and upperbody which were strong on me going into this, which helped enormously in getting out of bed. I look at it this way: If I can roll over in bed (at first tough-still not easy as nothing) get out of bed, I can probably train my muscles some. I swear the early exercise helps tremendously-but it could probably hurt too if you don't know how to support your weight in movement, or are pushing too hard too soon. I own all the Pilates equipment made, but it isn't that awesome yet. Ballet best for me, (think of doing kegel exercises while you exercise) right now, no big range of movement, but everyday a little more and better. I actually am stunned at how fast I am recovering and think it is due to being in shape, continuing exercise ASAP in a way that helps, not hurts and eating less, and correctly. Love Noom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 06:21 PM
exercise

What ?? not even a month after surgery and doing exercise already??Hmmm. I guess you are lucky , but please take it easy , already, o.k.? You are going to make me look bad, because I think I am allergic to exercise in any form!!! Of course , my fingers get exercise on this computer talking to all of my sisters on this awesome sight. Best to you, Reeni
Unread 05-15-2005, 06:32 PM

I have my 6 week appt tomorrow morning. Hoping for OK to resume normal workout routine (and of course, sex).

Got the OK at my two week appt for modified workout - gentle yoga and wimpy treadmill workout. I was in great shape before surgery, feel kind of soft now...Have been walking since day 1, but I feel physically ready for more of a workout. Will know tomorrow...

P.S. Still have max lifting of 10 lbs.
Unread 05-15-2005, 06:49 PM

I started back at the gym at 6 weeks, being careful about the weights. Boy, is it easy to overdo before you know it! I'm going back to just walking for a while longer.
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:15 PM

Before my hyst I swam 1 mile (72 laps) 6 days a week. I was cleared to resume swimming at 4 weeks. Before my hyst I would have said swimming does nothing for your abs but that first swim after my hyst sure proved that theory wrong!! I started out with 36 laps and add 6 every 3 days until I was back up to 72. I had a great recovery too which my doctor says was because I was so fit.

Cindy
Unread 05-16-2005, 04:35 PM

Just a short update on my previous entry.

Had my 6 week check up today - all good. GYN very happy with my recovery...

I am cleared to resume my normal workout routine. Her only caution (which is just common sense) is to build up to my former level. Gradually up the time and speed on the treadmill from current level to former level, and gradually increase difficulty of yoga poses. I am also cleared to begin abdominal exercises. My GYN said to give the abdomen at least another three months before swelling will completely go away... (May actually take longer.)

I am so happy. Have felt kind of soft lately and eager to return to a more strenous routine.

And best of all, cleared for sex...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register