Need help with decision! (UPDATED!) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need help with decision! (UPDATED!) Need help with decision! (UPDATED!)

Unread 05-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Re: New to site. Need help with decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperts View Post
No, but I can't remember why because I put the option out of my mind. The fibroids are so big and so many that the thought of cutting half of my uterus away is difficult for me to grasp.
Understandable. And certainly the idea of only partial relief is not very satisfying to say the least. Let us know what you decide and GOOD LUCK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2013, 11:00 PM

I too am in almost exactly your situation. I have a UAE scheduled for July (against the 1st ob/gyn's advice), but after getting a second opinion I am now leaning toward hysterectomy. I have a friend who is a ob/gyn who got me in to see the head of the department at my provider. She told me that she used to recommend the largest number of patients for UAE of any doctor in the group, but since advances in the hysterectomy rarely does so anymore because the risk, pain, and recovery are so much better than in the past. Like you I am very tempted to go for the UAE as a preliminary solution, but the more I read about it, the more I see that it is a much more complicated procedure with more lasting effects than it seems at first. For example, in my medical group you do not need a hospital stay for hysterectomy, but do for UAE. I did ask about myomectomy too, but this ob/gyn said she does not do it on women with multiple large fibroids who are not planning to have more children because it is a more difficult and risky surgery than the hysterectomy. I am 45 and was counting on just trying to make it to menopause, but now I learn that fibroids do not always shrink after menopuase. Not sure my bladder would be able to take that as I get older. It is really helpful to hear the thought process of other women in this situation. Thanks for sharing.
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:26 AM
New to site. Need help with decision!

After months of deliberating, I have finally decided that a hysterectomy is in fact the best way to go for me. I saw my consultant yesterday and agreed a date for the end of August.
It's been an emotional 24 hours, wondering whether I am doing the right thing or should I just carry on for a while longer and do nothing. You see, after reading other women's posts, I have realised that my symptoms are not actually so bad... Yet!
I have a fibroid of 18wks size which is pressing on my bladder, causing numerous toilet trips a day. I have heavy periods lasting up to 2 weeks and causing very low iron levels. But, I have very little pain and am in fact managing to cope with all this. The reason for agreeing to the op is that my fibroid will probably grow and my symptoms get worse and everyone has said it's better to get rid now because inevitably it'll have to be done sooner or later!
The thought of losing my uterus did upset me at first but now I've got my head around the idea I am actually looking forward to no more bleeding. And yet, as I'm typing this, the tears are coming again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2013, 07:28 PM

I had a 12 cm and 8cm fibroid and had UAE in Aug of 2012. I had little pain but high fevers and unusual fatigue and longer recovery to most. My docs attributed this to the fact that my fibroids were so big and I am allergic to anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil that help with this response. While the UAE solved my immediate problems (chronic UTI, difficulty urinating), the pain returned in December. I was with a new health plan that had surgical options and my doc advised me to try for a da Vinci and sent me to the right surgeon. Surgeon advised Lupron but I refused not thinking 3 mos of immediate menopause was any better than avoiding an open surgery. Doc said she would try without Lupron but said odds were against it given fibroid size (no real shrinking after UAE). Well to my surprise, it went laparascopically and I am told this was due to the UAE since the biggest fibroid was "dead" and easier to work with. Still recovery from UAE was tough but if I could take NSAIDS that may not have been the case. Also UAE reduces your bleeding risk with hysterectomy (UAE was originally designed to be before hysterectomy for this reason) Best of luck to you in your decision.
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Need help with decision! (UPDATED!)

I had a fibroid the size of a football removed 5 years ago, my gyno at the time refused to do a hysterectomy (32yrs, no kids), fast forward 5 years, I am now 4 weeks post op TAH, not only did the fibroid grow back, this time in multiples, but I learnt afterwards what prior scans hadn't shown, my ovaries were enlarged and covered in cysts and possibly as a consequence of my previous surgery, my uterus had become adhered to my bowel. I did ask my gyno about eblation instead of a TAH and he told me I would very likely have to have surgery again to remove more fibroids if I didn't have the TAH and my chance of getting pregnant without severe complication was about 5% so I decided to go with a hysterectomy and looking back, I don't regret it, 38 no kids but I am doing well and will never have another period ever again. 🌝
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem674 View Post
I had a fibroid the size of a football removed 5 years ago, my gyno at the time refused to do a hysterectomy (32yrs, no kids), fast forward 5 years, I am now 4 weeks post op TAH, not only did the fibroid grow back, this time in multiples, but I learnt afterwards what prior scans hadn't shown, my ovaries were enlarged and covered in cysts and possibly as a consequence of my previous surgery, my uterus had become adhered to my bowel. I did ask my gyno about eblation instead of a TAH and he told me I would very likely have to have surgery again to remove more fibroids if I didn't have the TAH and my chance of getting pregnant without severe complication was about 5% so I decided to go with a hysterectomy and looking back, I don't regret it, 38 no kids but I am doing well and will never have another period ever again. 🌝
What were the symptoms of having your uterus adhere to your bowel? OMG that sounds like a nightmare! Glad you are ok!
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM

A few years ago I found out I had numerous fibroids. Original ob/gyn said to do a complete H, removing everything just to get it out. There was no reason to remove ovaries and put me on hormones. Not liking what I heard, I found another ob/gyn. I told her I didn't want a hysterectomy and read up on options and UFE seemed worth a try. She found me a radiologist and July of 2011 I had UFE. it was less invasive than an H, but very painful for 2-3 days (much easier, quicker to recover from than a hysterectomy) I was completely better in 2 weeks. I was told I had multiple fibroids the largest lemon size. Based on that I went ahead w/ the UFE. After the UFE the radiologist told me I had 10-12 fibroids, one lemon size, one softball. No one told me that until afterwards!!! they only said multiple and lemon size!!! If I knew how many fibroids I had and the sizes, I don't think I would have tried the UFE. UFE shrinks them, reducing UP TO 1/2 their size, they never go away w/ UFE. It didn't even shrink my largest to 1/2 the size. I waited over a year for ultrasound to see results because they can continue to shrink for a good year. If you have smaller fibroids then UFE is a good option. Here's what I experiences after my UFE - my periods were lighter, but instead of 5-7 heavy days, I had 2-3 weeks light periods for a whole year. It was like a dam inside. I also had a LOT of icky stuff coming out of me. It was pretty gross, I couldn't douche enough; that lasted over a year. Then intercourse because more painful after the UFE and I bled after intercourse for almost a year. That's when I decided my body is telling me to get it out!

I had a hysterectomy removing uterus and cervix 17 days ago. I am still recovering, it's a much slower process but am glad I did it. It took me 2 weeks to feel better, thought I was better, but it was the pain meds masking the pain. When I stopped taking pain meds, My pains are like a really bad period with continuous spotting. I've talked with others who had almost no pain. We all react differently.

I hope this helps with your decision, but do yourself a favor and find out the sizes and how many you have. If you have the MRI (they do that right before UFE to see exactly where fibroids are and where to block the blood) ask for details. Ask them to go over films with you and ask what everything is. I wish I did, I thought I did, but I didn't know to ask to review films. If I did, not sure if I would have changed my mind, but I really wish someone explained it better.

Good luck and if you have any questions, let me know.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Re: Need help with decision! (UPDATED!)

Farfallina, I have the same symptoms and ended up making the same decision as you. My hysterectomy is scheduled for July 16. It is hard to get my head around electing to let someone cut out what was once such an important body part when I am not dying, but like you I am looking at the long term. A friend helped my in terms of changing my thinking from this being done to me, to me letting my uterus go and moving on with new freedom in my life. I wish you the best of luck on this journey. I'll be thinking of you!
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Re: Need help with decision! (UPDATED!)

I am in a very similar situation. My bladder is so compressed that I am living with a catheter and this is absolutely miserable. My doc has said that he recommends the TAH including both ovaries. The ovaries are actually fine, but I just battled breast cancer a few months ago, and my oncologist said removing them would help to keep the cancer from returning. So unless I hear a better option, I am going "all in"!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register