LAVH deep breath? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM
deep breath?

I'm one week post op and feel so gassy still that its hard to take a deep breath and hurts. Anyone experience this? I have been taking gas x and it helps some. I have my check up tomorrow morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Re: deep breath?

Yes, it is common!! Those gas bubbles get trapped behind your ribs, and every time you take in a breath it hurts!! I have been there. Lay on the bed....raise your arms straight over your head, and slowly bring your knees as close to your body as possible. Do this slowly so you do not pull on your stitches too much. When you get done doing that a couple of times, go take a walk. It can take weeks to get rid of those bubbles. Happy healing!
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:22 AM

Lie on back with knees up and gently rock them from side to side , is another way to get rid of gas x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM

When I was in the hospital, they gave me a plastic breathing thingy...(not sure of the name), but I had to use it several times a day and had to place the end in my mouth and inhale until I reached a certain level. It was painful at first, but I found that it really helped eliminate the gas pains. It broke them down quickly. I took it home with me and for the first week used it faithfully. I had no gas pains.

I'm thinking if you practiced deep breathing exercises it may help with the gas pains.
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelist123 View Post
When I was in the hospital, they gave me a plastic breathing thingy...(not sure of the name), but I had to use it several times a day and had to place the end in my mouth and inhale until I reached a certain level. It was painful at first, but I found that it really helped eliminate the gas pains. It broke them down quickly. I took it home with me and for the first week used it faithfully. I had no gas pains.

I'm thinking if you practiced deep breathing exercises it may help with the gas pains.

I have one of these too. It also helps pneumonia stay away because you stay so long laying down. At least thats what I was told.
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:56 PM

How would I know if I had pneumonia? It's still really hard to breathe or take a deep breathe.
Unread 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM

I've never had pneumonia so I can't answer that. That is what the deep breathing exercises are for, I just found that it helped ease my gas pains as well. Try taking slow deep breaths to fill your lungs, breathing through the pain. If you are unable to I would suggest making a call to you doctor. Better safe than sorry. I hope you are feeling better and breathing comfortably soon.
Unread 02-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Just got off phone with doctor. Says it sounds like gas. Hurts so bad...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register