Still hasn't sunk in I am about to have surgery in 7 days..Is something wrong with me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still hasn't sunk in I am about to have surgery in 7 days..Is something wrong with me Still hasn't sunk in I am about to have surgery in 7 days..Is something wrong with me

Unread 05-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Still hasn't sunk in I am about to have surgery in 7 days..Is something wrong with me

I am having surgery in 7 days and it still seems surreal. Like it is going to happen to someone else.

I have been fairly calm about it until now. Now I am completely not sure what is going on.

I know it is going to happen but mentally have seemed to be able to come to terms with it. It doesn't seem possible that this is going to happen to ME and that I am going to have a full blown hysterectomy!?!?

Has anyone else out there felt this way right before surgery??? Is this normal or am I completely about to lose it??

What will happen when I get there....will I be calm or will I freak out??

Sheesh. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I am really confused and scared.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Still hasn't sunk in I am about to have surgery in 7 days..Is something wrong with me

Hi Ya,
I'm having a TAH BSO on the same day although I'm going in the day before. I feel abit like you do. I'm scared but I'm not quite sure why??
Feel free to email or pm me if you want a chat I'm always about.
Good luck for Friday
I'll be thinking of you
Rockford
Unread 05-13-2005, 03:05 PM

I was pretty nervous the weeks before, then I got a cold 7 days before my TAH, I just assumed I would be canceled. I kept this attitude up til I was wheeled into the actual surgery room, I kept thinking surely some one is gonna say I'm to sick anytime now.
My dh said he thought I was acting that way cuz it was my escape from the reality of it happening.
It kinda stunk I was sick the week before, but I guess it helped from stressing out.
Try and keep from stressing out (I know easier said then done). If you flip out, we are all here for you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2005, 04:50 PM

It's perfectly normal to run a whole gamut of emotions before surgery. I know I did. But I also knew that if I didn't go through with the surgery I would feel terrible for several more years instead of several more weeks. Keep your goal in mind. Think of the reason you are having it done and how you feel on your worse days. Then think of how good you will feel after it's over. Don't worry about complications. Deal with them if they come.

On the day of surgery some women cry all the way to the hospital and some feel strangely calm. There's no way to predict. You'll most certainly feel better once they give you some happy juice.

I'm now two weeks post op and I'm feeling pretty good. The first few days are hard but it's uphill from there. I can already tell that the big bulge that was in me is gone, even with swelly belly. My nerves are back in line and all I have to do is concentrate on healing.

Keep your chin up, stay tough, cry if you need to. You're going to make it through to the other side.
Unread 05-13-2005, 05:54 PM

I'm laughing about the "happy juice" comment swank. I was one of the calm ones. I had absolute certainty this was the right thing. I did have a few qualms the day before....mostly the "gee anything could happen" type. Those were gone by the morning of and I was very calm in pre-op. I think I shocked the poor anesthesiologist for that matter. He came in 3 times and asked if I needed a little something in the IV to calm me. I kept saying no. Finally, he came in and said "I'm going to put a little Valium in here". I just smiled and said o.k., if you feel you need to. Calm is good! I hope you keep that calm all the way into the operating room!
Unread 05-13-2005, 08:03 PM

Well Rockford and Mustang, we all have the same dates! I like Mustang am strangely calm about the actual surgery. I am more concerned with getting everything done I need to before hand, kind of running out of days!
I wish I too knew if I was going to go psycho that day too. I can't wait for the "happy juice"! I think I will request that first. I did remember at my last surgery though they said they would put something in my IV to calm me, and nothing happened...... Hmmmm.
Well I would like to hear what all of you have to say of this too! Good luck everyone! Tiffany
Unread 05-14-2005, 02:58 AM

Gee Mustang!!!

The night before my TAH surgery on May 3rd, I could have written the exact same post that you did!! lol

I felt exactly the same way as you. It was almost like the night before Xmas when you are kind of looking forward to something, but not really.

I wondered if it really was happening to me! And now that I'm 11 days post op ... I look down at my beautifully healing incision and think to myself "did I really have a hysterectomy??" lol! Sometimes the little pains remind me that I really did have it ... but more often than not I find myself thinking about it and thinking crikey, I really did it!

I know everyone says it, but truly, the waiting really was the hardest part for me.

Stay positive and focus on the good outcome. No more purchases necessary in the feminine products aisle!! Apart from the good deodorant and moisturiser, of course!! lol

Best of luck to all of you LIW who are scheduled for the same date - see you on the other side! May you have very successful surgeries and wonderful recoveries.

Pukeko, in New Zealand
Unread 05-14-2005, 08:37 AM

To mustang30
As you probably realize by now, you are totally normal!! I was terrified!! The dreaded hysterectomy was something I had put off for soooo many years (living with the fibroids as they got bigger & bigger!!) that when it finally came time to have the surgery it seemed unbelieveable!!! I had built it up in my head sooo much!!! Even now that it's almost 6 weeks after surgery, I sometimes still can't believe I no longer have my uterus & those nasty fibroids!!! I couldn't think about much else weeks before the surgery!!!! As others have said, try to stay postitive and realize it's all for the best. I found myself singing "Que Say ra say ra" whatever will be, will be,"...... quite a bit!!! It really did help me!! Sometimes you just have to 'let go' and know you'll be alright. Take care! zanylynn
Unread 05-14-2005, 07:34 PM

Thanks you guys for all of the sweet encouragement. Of course I know that I am not the only one out there going through the whole surgery ordeal but it is still nice to hear from others.

Good luck with your upcoming surgeries everyone...and to all that are luckily on the other side I hope that your recoveries continue to go well.

Thanks again!
Unread 05-14-2005, 09:09 PM

I feel the same way. I realize that it's happening, it just doesn't seem like it's real. I just sat down at the computer and starting reading posts and realized I only have 3 more days. I feel like crying because I have been sick the past few days and still don't feel good at all. I feel like I am in slow motion too. I can't seem to get anything done here at home like I had planned. One minute I'm scared to death, the next I'm calm as though it is not really happening. Don't know how to feel from one minute to the next. I think well it's definitely coming and it's not slowing down at all!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register