Very Scared!! will a hyst stop my pain?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very Scared!!  will a hyst stop my pain?? Very Scared!! will a hyst stop my pain??

Unread 04-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Very Scared!! will a hyst stop my pain??

I am very scared as I know most of you are also - I have an unfounded fear of hospitals so that doesn't help. I am also afraid that I will have my uterus removed but my pain will continue. I'm also afraid they will look inside and see something more (cancer) even thou I have no idea why. I'm just a basket case. My dr. has assured me that she will do a laperoskopy (sp) first to check everything out then remove my uterus vaginally if that is all that needs to be done. If there is more she will go thru the abdomen. I have had a C-section 7 yrs ago so my stomach already looks bad so this isn't gonna help.

I don't have alot of bleeding infact my periods are almost non-existant. I just have such horrible cramping and lower back pain and my stomach feels sick all the time and it is to the point where I can no longer take this. I don't sleep because of the pain so my dear hubby doesn't get much sleep either. I just hope this will take the pain away so I don't feel so sick all the time.

Sorry I sound kida crazy but I'm very scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 07:48 PM

Hun we have all been there and we all understand what you are going through. I had little to no bleeding also by the time I had my surgery but also had the same symptoms you are describing. I had a TAH, but that was because of other problems. The doctor found that a lot of the back pain and cramping was do to endo and adhesions. The adhesions were coming from the c-sections I had in 03 and 99. The endo had been there so long undiagnosed that my appendix was full of and covered in it. I feel 500% better than I have in years. As for the upset stomach we dont know what exactly caused it, but it is gone too now that the pain and cramping is. I hope you have a great surgery and uneventful recovery.
Unread 04-19-2007, 07:50 PM

I can't say for sure that it will take your pain away but I am afraid of hospitals and needles and I don't like to be touched I just had my tvh done on the 16th and I am okay a little sore but thats all it will be fine please let us know how you are doing you are in our prayers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 08:27 PM

I also feel 500% better. I had stage IV endo and fibroids and I had the exact symptoms you describe. It wasn't until I had the surgery that I realized how much pain I had gotten used to dealing with. It is so WONDERFUL to wake up pain free!
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:30 PM

You are right.. we are all scared. One thing I wanted to pick up on from your post is you saying that you are scared they might see cancer in there. Honestly, if it were me, I would rather that if I do have it they find it early and quickly so hopefully they could cure me. If you don't then you don't and that is also wonderful.
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:50 PM

Oh, I totally understand the fear thing. I am so scared they are going to find cancer.

My short-version story of my fear...when Mom was my age, she started having the same issues I'm having. They put her on birth control, but although it helped the bleeding, the pain was horrible. She was on a business trip 450 miles away, when she passed out in an airport and, completely unconscious, had a hysterectomy (they had to call my stepdad for permission). At that time, it was typical to treat post-hyster with estrogen, and because of that, when Mom got breast cancer, it happened very fast. She was VERY young when she died.

So, I fear going through the same thing Mom went through. But as another posster said, if I have it, I want to know NOW.

I know you're scared, and your fears are so normal, I think! I bet you're like me, and looking forward to it all being over, aren't you?

Unread 04-19-2007, 09:47 PM

Claire, it's normal to be scared, at least I think so. There are so many unknowns. But this is the place to be because every one of us has felt he same. But I am 2 weeks and 1 day post op from a TAH/BSO and I have to say my worst fears never came true. I am SO HAPPY I had this done. I mean so happy. I have no pain now, none. No back pain, no headaches, no mood swings, no hot flashes, even my carpal tunnel isn't as bad! I just realized that! Finding cancer was a possibity for me and an oncologic gyn assisted with my surgery. I was scared to death. I am 44, have 3 boys a husband and full life. I didn't want to be sick. But I went in to it with the attitude that if they found the worst, it was not going to be enough to keep me from my life, I would come out fighting. And if they did find it, it was early. I ended up having no cancer, but tons of endo and adeno and they also did a bladder lift. I can sneeze now and not wet my pants! The waiting and worrying is the hardest part. And anyone telling you not to worry is not going to help. You have to find peace within. If you are a spiritual person, pray. I had so many people praying for me and I know that has helped me a lot. My Mom was here for almost 2 weeks and she left today. So now I am on my own but I feel great, my worst fear now is depression with Mom gone. But I have friends that are going to baby sit me the next few weeks! LOL I feel like I could work in the yard, spread mulch, cut the grass and go out dancing. I won't of course, but I feel like I could! I haven't felt like I could do that in years. I am 44 and I feel 34. Okay, I move like I am 84 right now though! LOL I am still a little sore and today my legs ached like I had run a marathon. And I have insomnia. But it's all good, it will work out and I am still so glad I did this.

Best wishes from the other side, and think positive!

Sandra
Unread 04-20-2007, 01:23 AM

You are not crazy. We all have those thoughts. I was so afraid of not waking up. So many things I still wanted to see like watching my daughter grow. I had so much pain for so many years that I think I just got used to it. After my Hysterectomy I felt like a huge weight had been lifted. I'm not sure if you are a spiritual person but praying helped me. All of the things I was really afraid of were out of my hands. Fear is a normal thing. Trust yourself. You know what is right for you.
Unread 04-20-2007, 06:33 AM

Your not crazy!! just scared, and that is soooo normal.
If they find cancer then they will a) start you on treatment or b) they will have caught it early enough that the surgery will be the only treatment you need.
Take it from someone who's surgery was because of cancer.
Vent your fears out here, everyone one of us has had them. 99% of the time you will find someone that had the same questions and fears you do now.
Unread 04-20-2007, 07:46 AM

OH Thanks to all of you!!! I'm in tears - I feel so much support and understanding - it's nice to have others that are or were in the same boat. My husband is trying to calm my fears but he just doesn't understand especially since he has never been hospitalized for anything. Thanks again!!!! It is the fear of the unknown that is the worse (or the fear that my mind can generate).
Yes this pain is awful and I know I will be so happy to have it gone - it has really dampened my life this year.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register