Going back to work after tah - looking for advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to work after tah - looking for advice Going back to work after tah - looking for advice

Unread 10-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Going back to work after tah - looking for advice

2 weeks post tah. Want to go back to work next week. My job is just sitting helping students with their schoolwork in a local school. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 26-Oct 02,2011

Hi Teresa!! Hope u r healing well and resting often!
What I found really helpful were the check points here in hystersyster site. Fact ur still healing sister. So much can change in the first 4 weeks. Listen to ur body and sit at a table at home and see how long before u tire. Working on schoolwork may consist of leaning too much.
Hugs! I hope to go back to work soon too!
Unread 10-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Re: Going back to work after tah - looking for advice

I had an SAH with a horizontal incision. I had a very difficult time sitting and still do. I needed to lie down frequently for the first 8+ weeks. I would agree with the suggestion to try sitting and see how you feel. I would also say to start part time. You can always increase your hours if you feel good. Everyone heals at different rates, so it's hard to make a blanket recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2011, 12:32 AM

I personally couldn't do it and I sit on my butt all day at work as well. I didn't go back until 9 weeks post and then I was greatful that I have the option of lying down if I needed to.
Unread 10-27-2011, 04:10 AM

Two weeks!!
Sorry, I think that's too soon, even for a sit-down job!
Sitting was the worst thing for me, and I had a TAH/BSO with a vertical incision.
I found I needed to do some walking daily and mooching around, and lying down several times a day.
I went back to work part-time at almost 7 weeks, to a sit-down job, and this week I'm full time. But I still need to take all the breaks I can get from sitting!
However, I feel well recovered by and large, and not at all tired.
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:01 AM

I agree that it may be a bit too soon! I know it is hard to sit around, or lay around and do nothing, but it is really what your body needs right now. You don't want to return too soon and then end up having complications.

I know I felt pretty decent at about the 3 week mark, but for some reason week 4 and 5 were the WORST!! I know everyone heals at different rates, but honestly, I wouldn't rush this. You only have one chance to heal right and unfortunately, that takes some time.

Take care and rest a while!
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:02 AM

I think that you should give yourself another week. I went out for dinner with the girls at two weeks and I was pretty uncomfortable after a couple of hours sitting upright. I couldnt sit through a movie at the theatre. I ended up standing at the back.
By three weeks it was so much better. I say give yourself more time.
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:12 AM

I agree. If possible wait at least another week or more. I couldn't sit for very long that early in my recovery. I went out to dinner at 6 weeks post-op and had to actually get my tummy pillow out of the car during dinner to sit on it. People probably thought I had hemorrhoids! lol
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:17 AM

I had a different procedure, an LSH, but I was cleared to go back to work full-time (as a nurse) at 2 weeks -- and did so without any problems. Every one is different, tho!! If you're not already, try building your stamina back up a little bit more each day. Listen to your body -- you will know when you've done 'too much'.
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:08 AM

I went back to work on week 3 but only for about 4 hrs day. THis week I have stayed all day but about 3 or 4 I am tired. I work at a rural vet clinic where it is just me and the dr. so I have just sat at my desk, answered phones, made appts given a few shots. I havent lifted anything I am not suppose to either. I do get up and walk around the clinic so I not just sitting all the time. Take it easy when you go back because the kids will wear you out even just sitting and helping them. You do realize how much it takes out of you just to exert yourself that much...most important LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register