i'm getting so nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i'm getting so nervous i'm getting so nervous

Unread 09-05-2001, 03:15 PM
i'm getting so nervous

Hello to All I'm new to this site and I have to say I love it...
My date hasn't been offically set but it will be the end of Sept or
beginning October. I have had problems for the past 8 years I also have Hypothyroid. Doctor finally agreed that something needs to be done. I'm so anemia they have to wait till lron level comes up. I read in a post about the list for hosiptal stuff to take but can't seem to find it. anyone with some ideas of items to take please write them or email me.. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2001, 03:25 PM
i'm getting so nervous

Hi, and welcome!

If you go to the main, home page, and go towards the bottom of the page, you will see pull-down menus for Ladies In Waiting. You can find lots of helpful info there, including what to take to the hospital, what to ask your doctor, etc.

The only things I used out of the huge bag I packed were:

Chapstick
candy for the nurses
slippers
robe
deodorant
toothbrush/toothpaste

The things I packed that you may want to bring, but that I ended up not using:

books (I was too nauseated even to read)
pajamas (I just stayed in the hospital gown)
pads (I was lucky and had no bleeding)
underwear (I went "commando"! )

Once you're at home, you'll need to have some comfortable clothes to wear. I found men's pajamas very comfortable, because the large, drawstring waists came up well above my incision, and the button-up tops didn't have to go over my head (hard to get my arms up). You will probably want to have large, "granny-panties" in a size or two large than you normally wear (you will be swollen and sore!).

Have plenty of no-preparation foods on hand, like fruit, soup, cereal, snack bars, etc. I had absolutely no appetite for a couple of weeks, and my frantic husband finally convinced me to drink some Ensure, which went down ok. You may want to have some of that in the fridge for times you just don’t feel like eating, but need nourishment.

Also, buy PLENTY of juice! You will need to drink LOTS of liquids when you get home to help with the gas. I got bored with the same type of juice, so my husband bought lots of different types, and put them in small containers for me (I found it difficult to lift and pour large containers for awhile). Don't drink anything carbonated, and don't use a straw (makes the gas worse).

I also found a shower chair very helpful. Standing up long enough to shower wore me out! You could also use any plastic chair that will fit in your shower.

VERY IMPORTANT: have anything you might need at waist-level. This includes toilet paper, pads, clothing, cups, food, plates, etc. Believe me, you will NOT want to bend or reach for anything! The house may look cluttered for awhile with everything sitting out on counter tops, but it's worth it!

Hopefully, this helps a bit. Please post all your questions and concerns here - we'll do our best to help!
Unread 09-05-2001, 03:28 PM
i'm getting so nervous

You'll get a lot of different answers to the hospital list question, but I tend to be a minimalist when packing is concerned so I didn't take much. I wore the hospital gowns, so no jammies. I took an oversized robe, a pair of slide-in slippers, lite pads (just in case... didn't need them), oversized undies, shampoo, travel blowdryer, lotion, toothpaste/brush, floss, hairbrush, chapstick, and a couple of magazines. I wore the same clothes home that I went in since I was only in them for a short while.

Of course, when I go on business trips to our corporate office, my suitcase is always way smaller than the guys' suitcases (and they don't have make-up, bras, hose, or curling irons) so I tend to take only what's neccesary. Other folks take a whole lot of interesting stuff with them to the hospital like CD players and special pillows, but remember that if you pack it, you have to take it all home with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2001, 03:38 PM
Me too

I am in the same boat as you regarding surgery date. My Dr's office originaly said end of Sept or begining of Oct. Today they said the first week of October. I just want the date!!!

Kashi makes a product group called (I think)Kashi Go Lean. They have chocolate and vanilla shakes that are nondairy, high protein, low fat and have 7 grams of fiber. I thought I would add frozen fruit and maybe some wheat germ or bran to make what I hope will taste good and be good for me. I try a test shake in the next week or so. If it's good and does not cause exess gas, I'll post it.

Good Luck!

Cat
(I'll always be a California girl)
Unread 09-05-2001, 03:44 PM
I'm new too

Hi heifers4me. I'm new to this website too, and I just love it. I feel almost like I know some of my sisters already since I've read all I can find. Hello! I'm also having a TAH/B?? (see - I've looked around and once saw a list of abbreviations but can't remember them - I'm having "the works"). My date is also unknown beyond end of September or beginning of October so maybe we can go through this together. Yeah, I'm nervous, but have been approaching this for thirty years. Really - it's been nothing but trouble since day one. Remember hearing about how wonderful it is to "become a woman?" Well, I was so excited to get there, and then the first ever period was awful, I walked home from school doubled over in pain and it's never gotten better. I don't exactly want to have surgery, but I do exactly want to be on the other side! I will post more later, but just wanted to introduce myself especially to you, but also to all of the sisters already here who have eased my journey already. Thanks for being here.

-- tree

p.s heifers4me -- I'm originally from California, East Bay Area. How about you?
Unread 09-05-2001, 04:18 PM
WELCOME

and welcome to you new ladies. Glad that you found us. I am sure that you will find this site an amazeing help. The women here, pre and post op are all just the very best. Any questions, just ask and there will always be someone here to help. The support for pre op nerves is just the best. So supportive. I have found so much wisdom and support here while waiting for my surgery. I know that I could not go through with it if it wasn't for the ladies on this site. Join us in the chat rooms also it is great.
Welcome again and all the very best for your trips to the castle and speedy recoveries.

Vicki
Unread 09-05-2001, 04:46 PM
List for the hospital

1. your own nightgown(you'll be so much more comfy and covered!!
2. robe
3. slippers
4. Reading material
5. Dry shampoo (in case you don't feel like showering)
6. electric shaver, if you have one. ( I can't stand hairy legs!!) P.S. Have someone help you
7. hairbrush or comb
8. chapstick
9. a nice fragrant body spray
10. clothes to wear home (BIG and LOOSE)
11. Your doctor's office phone # (To call in case you are not treated right by the mean nurses)
12. I did not bring candy for the nurses. No sucking up for me. They need to do their job right
without bribes.

Best Wishes

Margaret
Unread 09-06-2001, 02:26 PM
got the date this morning

To all the sisters out there: Finally got a date this morning. I go in October 2. boy three weeks not long at all.. I started shaken when the doctor called with the dad. I guess i'm pretty nervous.. went to do some shoppin today but didn't find anything (Cute) or comfy lookin. I was reading somewhere that some of you took goodies for the nurses does that really help any??? and another thing i read really opened my eyes also, about how someone had such back aches, I have that no matter what i do my back is so sore must be from caring around this enlarged uterus.. !!
Unread 09-06-2001, 04:03 PM
heifers4me

Hi - I too am fairly new here - scheduled for TAH BSO Sept. 21st - getting very nervous! I also am hypothyroid and have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia --and now fibroids and this incredibly large uterus! I feel like my body is betraying me - I have no control over any of this (except to be as well informed as I can) and I HATE this!! Anyway, took the sister's advice - bought large stuff- panties, gowns, loose flannel pants and HURRAY - today the HysterSisters t-shirt I ordered came --- Iam ready!!!

Jane Elizabeth
Unread 09-06-2001, 07:11 PM
i'm getting so nervous

Hello,
I am less than a week away from my surgery and am very nervous. I am not sure whether I am coming or going this week. Have had doc appt and hospital pre-op admissions and giving blood and the whole nine yards. Just can't wait to have it done and over with. Good luck to all of you. I will keep you in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register