Menstral Like Cramps, post op wk 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Menstral Like Cramps, post op wk 5 Menstral Like Cramps, post op wk 5

Unread 03-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Menstral Like Cramps, post op wk 5

week 5 post op - have been having menstral like cramps all week. Cramps are increasing as the week goes on no bleeding.

I have been back at work since post op wk 2 - w/some fatigue. Possible UTI put on macrobid, could the UTI be the cause of cramps? It seems after reading posts that this is a common problem. Any comments would be helpful.. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2008, 06:00 PM
same here

hey,

i also am 5 weeks post op, had my surgery Feb 6th. I am having the same kind of cramps, and pain on my left side. its almost a pulling pain. I have read several threads here, that talk about Phantom Pains, and it makes sense to me. I mean, Our bodies had our female parts inside them All our lives up till now, and then all of a sudden they are gone. it may take our Bodies and brains time to get used to not having them anymore. UTI could certainly be the problem,

Back to work in week 2, wow.... my doctor won't even consider me going back until week 8, atleast. I am a pharmacy Tech, and am on my feet all the time. So, he wants to make sure i am good to go, before he will release me. But, then again, my surgery was very Complicated and difficult.

one thing I have noticed is when I cough or sneeze, I can feel my vaginal cuff being squeezed or atleast it seems so. i can feel the pressure, and it is painful.

Also, for me, my right thigh from my incision to about halfway down my thigh is still numb. It's been like that since the surgery. Also my private area... i have asked the doctor, but all he says is...

Well, Remember ,,, You had a very complicated and difficult surgery, and its just going to take time for your body to heal... Plus add to that ,, I have Fibromyalgia... So its easy for him to excuse it on something...

mysticalmee
Unread 03-14-2008, 05:54 PM

I'm 5 wks too and having some of the same sensations.

I did too much today (had my 6wk followup today at 5wks due to holidays). It was my first day out. I saw my gyn and a new GP who will be able to help w/ my fibromyalgia more than present GP(who doesn't appear to "believe in it").

I am utterly wasted. I am having the menstrual cramp feeling too, and i feel terrible all over. I am sure it is from doing too much.

When I've had UTI's (lots), it did feel like menstrual cramps too. So it's hard to know which may be causing your pain. Maybe both? Doing too much and the UTI?

Mystical, my doc told me he anchored my vaginal cuff to my uterine ligaments. Perhaps yours did too and that is what you are feeling? Maybe it pulls a little when you sneeze, etc. I was glad for him to tell me that, so now I know what's keeping my va-jay-jay where it belongs!

Hope we are all feeling better soon. But I'm finding that we reeeeeeally need a lot of patience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2008, 10:00 PM

Hi drgunfly
I'm sorry you're having so much pain. I don't think a UTI would necessarily cause cramps and usually if you are put on an antibiotic you would start feeling better right away. Were you tested for a UTI so you know you had one?

I feel that if you are still in pain, even after resting over night, you need to call your dr and have this checked out. You don't say what type of surgery you had, so it's hard to say where you should be in your recovery, but five weeks is generally still pretty early for most to be working full time. It's possible your body is telling you, you need to back a way a little and let it rest. I hope the weekend will let you do that, so you can see how you feel then.

Please don't hesitate to call your dr if this pain continues. Keep us updated on your progress. I hope you'll be feeling better soon.
's, Rita
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:55 PM

I had the menstrual type cramps too around the same time y'all are having them. I associated them with when I would have normally started my period. And maybe it was the phantom pains. And I did keep both ovaries.
I had a UTI/Bladder Infection and did have Bladder Spasms but they were more of a contraction type pressure down around bladder area. Not the same as a menstrual cramp. And it hurt very bad. I was on Macrobid and it didn't help with my infection so they put me on Cipro and that sort of helped but then they backed it up with a Rocephin shot. Drink Cranberry Juice it really helps although it tastes awful. And just because you have taken Macrobid make sure they recheck your urine again in case the UTI is still there. And if your having bladder spasms there is a medicine for that called Pyridium.
Good luck and I'll be praying for you all!
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM

I am almost 2 years post op and came back to the site because I would have liked to hear from someone who was past that point but could still remember. I STILL sometimes have pains that feel like menstrual cramps. As I tell my husband, I could swear that my uterus hurts, if I didn't know that it was gone. Lots of strange sensations that you don't understand unless you've had them. Also had sporadic numbness sometimes in the vaginal area even a year later. Only now that someone mentions it, do I notice that the numbness has stopped. It obviously didn't hurt, but was very unsettling and scary. It all passes eventually and so much of it doesn't make sense, especially to a doctor if they've never been through it. medical books don't tell the whole story. I think it's normal, unless it has you doubled over.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register