Questions about pre-op shaving - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about pre-op shaving Questions about pre-op shaving

Unread 06-15-2007, 06:44 AM
Questions about pre-op shaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashortypie
I am having my surgery next week and was wondering the same thing. I have decided that I will give the Dr.s a treat and totally shave it myself.

Just a thought.....I have heard that some doctors/hospitals do not want you to shave yourself. I don't know if that's true, but it may be worth asking first.

My doctor said I could shave myself, and I did, following his instructions as to where, how much, etc. However, when I woke up, I found that I had been shaved even more. Apparently, they wanted more shaved than what I was initially told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONDANCER
Wondernurse, Did You Have To Do A Bowel Prep? I'm Having Lavh With Rectocele And Cystocele Repair And No Prep Just Nothing To Eat After Midnight.
I'm not Wondernurse, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. I hope that's ok.

I had to do a bowel prep with my LAVH. I didn't have repairs, but I did have endometriosis. My understanding was that the bowel prep was a precaution in case my bowel was nicked during surgery.....they wanted it clear.

I have had 2 friends who had repairs and both of them did bowel preps as well.

I also know that every doctor is different. The doctor that was initially going to do my surgery did not require a bowel prep--just a liquid diet the day before. The doctor that actually did my surgery had different pre-op instructions, including the bowel prep.
Unread 06-15-2007, 07:49 AM

Moondancer, No, I did not have a bowel prep, however, the day before surgery, I put myself on a liquid diet, and was glad I did...anesthesia makes me very nauseated, and the doc felt that it was beneficial that I did a liquid diet the day before...
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2007, 07:51 AM

I did have a LAVH with cystocele, rectocele and A & P repairs...and no prep. I did have endo and adeno, and still no prep!
Unread 06-15-2007, 08:23 AM

moondancer, for my LAVH, I had to do an enema and some Miralax. However, the amount of Miralax he prescribed didn't kick in till after surgery, which was ok because that took care of the post op constipation issue. I did get shaved in preop, but just a bit off the top! It wasn't too bad at all, just felt wierd. The lady used an electric razor so I didn't need to worry about being cut!
Unread 06-15-2007, 10:02 AM

Thanks For Answering All My Questions. I Just Don't Want Any Complications If I Can Help It!!!! I Think Being A Nurse Right Now Stinks , I Have Sooooooo Many Questions... Good Luck To Everyone Out There That Will Be With Me At The Castle On June 19....... Moondancer
Unread 06-15-2007, 10:23 AM

I don't getting shaved at all, unless it was done after I was under the anesthesia. Maybe the drs. don't want us doing it because they want everything to be sterile, and they have the right equipment. I remember when I had my ultrasound, they put Betadine on the equipment so I wouldn't get an infection.
Unread 06-19-2007, 11:44 AM

Woo Hoo....home from the castle and I wasn't shaved at all!

Laura
Unread 06-19-2007, 11:53 AM

Glad to see you're home! Hope you have a speedy recovery... I'll look for you in the post-op section when I get home
Unread 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM

My doc said I'll be shaved...so...........not wanting anyone else to do it..I shaved myself I know my surgery isn't til next week but.......kinda liberated myself..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register