Scheduled TAH Pre admissions and medical clearance | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre admissions and medical clearance Pre admissions and medical clearance

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Pre admissions and medical clearance

This is my first time posting. I have been reading a lot but needed some words of wisdom from women who understand what I am going through, I am sceheduled for a TAH/BSO on Sept. 11. I have large cysts on both ovaries and heavy bleeding that lasts for months on end. I also have RSD which complicates my surgery because 1) I run the risk of it spreading and 2) I am in a wheelchair because of it and can not walk at all so the dr tells me I run a very high risk of getting a blood clot. I am so very nervous. I thought after talking to my team of doctors today I would feel better however, I only feel more anxious and constantly on the verge of tears. My mom is flying in on Tuesday to help my hubby take care of me. I have a sister who had a hysterectomy last year but she is of no help everytime I try to talk to her about my fears she dismisses me and starts talking about her case and how her situation is much worse than my. That is really not helpful. Am I being to sensitive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Re: Pre admissions and medical clearance

No, you're not being too sensitive - your reaction to your sister's self-centredness is perfectly natural. However, she's unlikely to change, so you might want to find someone else to talk to. You can talk about your fears on this site all you want. :-)
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:50 PM

Everyone's cases and stories are different. I'm having a similar problem with friends that have had hysterectomies... they either don't understand my prepping and think I'm overreacting because it wasn't that bad or it's such a horror story it makes me panic more. This is why I came here to talk about all this stuff. No worries about asking questions or being judged!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Has anyone had to see 5 different doctors to get medical clearance? It makes me soo nervous because I know my other medical issues complicates things. I have been checked from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, from inside to outside. I thought this would make me feel better but it hasn't. Has anyone had a Lupron injection prior to surgery, I had one because I was borderline anemic so they gave me the shot in hopes of stopping the bleeding, luckily it worked but the side effects, I have lost 10 pounds in a week due to extreme stomach issues, I also have crazy hot flashes and terrible night sweats. Sorry for the novel, I have just now decided I need to get all of this out and have someone understand and care what I'm going through.
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Overpain, you have summed up my issues very nicely everyone here is so nice and non-judgemental. We can be as crazy as we want
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:15 PM

I have had to see multiple doctors too! I'm under 30 and i've been told so many times i need the surgery but i need to be 30 first... didn't make sense! Finally i found a doctor that agreed with me and it's on for the 19th! Hot flashes are a problem here... I LOVE LOVE LOVE my fan next to my side of the bed... i learned to wear layers if i leave the house (mostly to strip off)... and i carry a mini fan and ice water in my purse as well!
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM

The 19th is right around the corner. Wonderful ideas for cooling off. What type of procedure are you having done? I am 39, the dr made me try several different things before he agreed to the hysterectomy and by that point it became an emergency.
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:38 PM

*hugs* to you, Sunshine first of all. I don't think you're being overly sensitive. This is the first time YOU have had to go through this experience and your feelings and fears are valid because it's how YOU feel and your situation has other issues that hers may not have had just as she had things different from yours. We're all a lot the same, yet so different.

Did they talk to you about things like using support stockings and the leg squeezers that massage your legs during/after surgery? Mine told me at my pre-op they use those to help prevent clots.

I'm not familiar with RSD, but are you able to exercise or move your legs? A few years ago I had a broken leg and wasn't able to put any weight on it, but I could still bend my hip, knee and ankle, and I had to fly to a funeral. My Dr. told me some things I could do sitting to help keep circulation in my legs while I sat on the plane. Might there be something like that you could do instead? Maybe some physical therapy type manual manipulation/massage to stimulate your muscles and keep circulation going?

I hope that another HysterSister with experience with RSD come along to help with your concerns.
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:44 PM

The dr told me about the stockings they will put on during/after surgery, he also told me I would have to take blood thinners. I can't bend my leg and I can't put any weight on it, I use a motorized wheelchair all the time. As far as exercises go, they said it is not recommended given my medical condition.
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:49 PM

I had the stockings with the automassagers and blood thinners (Heparin) while I was in the hospital for three days. I think that's pretty standard for everyone. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register