dVH/RALH Struggling 2 weeks post hysterectomy: why do I feel like I'm the only one? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Struggling 2 weeks post hysterectomy: why do I feel like I'm the only one? Struggling 2 weeks post hysterectomy: why do I feel like I'm the only one?

Unread 03-19-2014, 12:13 AM
Struggling 2 weeks post hysterectomy: why do I feel like I'm the only one?

It's been 2 weeks since my surgery and I would have thought I'd be further on my recovery by now.
I have this sharp pinching pain in my lower abdomen that almost feels as if I'm being stabbed over and one. It's awful. I've called the nurse 3 times and they assure me it's "recovery" pain. Yet it's not getting any less.
I had to go in to the hospital today for an ultra sound to check for blood clots forming in my leg because I'm having pain there.
I can't sleep, I can't produce a good BM it's so painful, not to mention the gas pain. I cry at the drop of a hat.. Which why? I still have my ovaries my Dr said I wouldn't be pushed into menopause. And today I started spotting, and it's really foul smelling.
I'm supposed to go back to work in 2 weeks but how is that possible when I'm stressed our about this stuff? I'm so scared. I just want to feel better.
Has anyone else experienced the sharp pain like this? That's what I'm most worried about.
Thank you and god bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2014, 02:03 AM
Re: 2 wks post opt why do I feel like I'm the only one?

I also had stabbing pain, but found it usually in the evenings and found my pain killers helped some. It did go away around week 3. I still have my ovaries, but just because they were kept doesn't mean they are back to working normally yet. They will wake up again eventually, and things will start to even out. For me it was the first time I ovulated after the surgery, which I didn't know would still happen, now I don't even feel it happening like I used to. The foul odor with the spotting I would call the doctor about since I'm not sure thats normal and it didnt happen to me. My surgery wasn't vaginal so it was a little different. it took awhile for my bm's to get normal. I would feel like I had to go, would sit there for 10 minutes and nothing...sometimes my abdomen hurt waiting. It finally got better too. We are all different as to what occurs during recovery so there is no magic day or week. Hang in there, you will feel better soon.
Unread 03-19-2014, 03:45 AM
Re: 2 wks post opt why do I feel like I'm the only one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstarr10 View Post
It's been 2 weeks since my surgery and I would have thought I'd be further on my recovery by now.
I have this sharp pinching pain in my lower abdomen that almost feels as if I'm being stabbed over and one. It's awful. I've called the nurse 3 times and they assure me it's "recovery" pain. Yet it's not getting any less.
I had to go in to the hospital today for an ultra sound to check for blood clots forming in my leg because I'm having pain there.
I can't sleep, I can't produce a good BM it's so painful, not to mention the gas pain. I cry at the drop of a hat.. Which why? I still have my ovaries my Dr said I wouldn't be pushed into menopause. And today I started spotting, and it's really foul smelling.
I'm supposed to go back to work in 2 weeks but how is that possible when I'm stressed our about this stuff? I'm so scared. I just want to feel better.
Has anyone else experienced the sharp pain like this? That's what I'm most worried about.
Thank you and god bless.
I would see the doc for the foul smelling discharge. Hope you feel better soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2014, 04:53 AM
Re: Struggling 2 weeks post hysterectomy: why do I feel like I'm the only one?

I hear your pain and can reassure you are not the only one going through this.I' m 2 weeks post op too ( I had LAVH and BSO) and in the last few days I've experienced similar issues to yours. All of a sudden I started having excruciating pelvic pain which really worried me.I too called the nurses about 3-4 times and they reassured me that this is part of the healing process and that I may have overdone it a bit.They advised to continue to take strong pain killers if the pain continued and to rest a bit more.I've followed their advice and the pain is less.

I too started bleeding, though I hadn't had any bleeding even the day after surgery. They said that's normal too as long as it's not as heavy as a period, there are no clots or a foul smell. If the smelling is really foul I'd suggest you get checked in case there is an infection.

As for BM I experience excruciating pain just before opening my bowels.It feels like severe cramping that leaves me out of breath.To keep my BM regular and avoid straining I've been prescribed laxatives and it's helping.

I too should go back to work in 2 weeks but I think it's unrealistic the way I'm feeling so far and I feel I need moser time to heal properly.Could you take a bit more time off work? I've realised that everyone's healing and recovery process is different and I'm trying not to get upset and stresses out if I read of other ladies whose recovery is faster and are going back to work after 2-3 weeks. This is a time when we need to let our body guide us and listen to it without forcing the natural healing process.

I hope you feel better soon and try to remain positive.

Hugs
Unread 03-19-2014, 05:03 AM

Its only towards end if week 3 that i could comfortly drive and go out. Am hitting my 4 week mark tomorrow and will be resuming work tomorrow. I now feel ready for it.

When i was at 3 weeks post op, i too was wondering if i would be fit enough to resume work and was not yet comfortable doing my usual activities and needed a lot of rest after having been on my feet. I had a day out yesterday and walked a far bit in the city, well i had to rest most of today. So take it easy, each one of us is unique and we do need to listen to our bodies. Happy recovery and do pamper the princess!!
Unread 03-19-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Thank you and god bless.
Definitely call the Dr. about the foul smelling discharge, as that is a sign of infection. I had an infection after my hysterectomy, and ended up having to be rehospitalized for a few nights. And my only sign was actually the pelvic pain increased. Let us know how your doing. Also, I was a "slow healer" (least favorite saying ever!) and I took around 9 weeks to heal enough to work. Everyone heals at a different pace, don't beat yourself up, or feel like you are the only one.

's

Merr
Unread 03-19-2014, 05:54 AM

Thank you all very much. I am going to call my doc first thing once they open. They probably know me on a first name basis since I call so much
For one I need to stop thinking I'm supposed to be healed in the time frame I was given and let my body heal on its own.
All of you women are truly amazing and I envy your strength. Thank you again.
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merr View Post
Definitely call the Dr. about the foul smelling discharge, as that is a sign of infection. I had an infection after my hysterectomy, and ended up having to be rehospitalized for a few nights. And my only sign was actually the pelvic pain increased. Let us know how your doing. Also, I was a "slow healer" (least favorite saying ever!) and I took around 9 weeks to heal enough to work. Everyone heals at a different pace, don't beat yourself up, or feel like you are the only one.

's

Merr

Hi Merr,
How was your doctor able to tell that you had an infection? My pain is so bad that is what I'm worried about. The nurses at the offices suggested I "ween" myself off pain medication, and that is why it hurts so bad. She made me feel like I'm some kind of druggie or something. I usually take the pain pills at night because they make me sleepy and that is what I need help with.
Still, I feel something is wrong no matter she says.
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you and god bless.
Sweetness, if I had the time to go back and find my 2 week post op post it would be the same as this one. I haven't read all of the responses b/c I"m at work and skimming. But what you are experiencing is normal. I was so upset after 2 weeks b/c I was going back to work and scared to death. The pain - pulling/stinging is totally normal and can last a while but it does get less and less. The spotting is completely normal. The hormonal crying and such is also normal. I had my 6 week checkup yesterday and was told that my ovaries hadn't "woken up yet" - they go thru a "shock" period where they don't work right b/c of the shock to the body - detachment of tubes/uterus, etc... so it takes the ovaries a while to get back to working 100%.

I promise you it WILL get better... I promise. HUGS
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefeen View Post
Sweetness, if I had the time to go back and find my 2 week post op post it would be the same as this one. I haven't read all of the responses b/c I"m at work and skimming. But what you are experiencing is normal. I was so upset after 2 weeks b/c I was going back to work and scared to death. The pain - pulling/stinging is totally normal and can last a while but it does get less and less. The spotting is completely normal. The hormonal crying and such is also normal. I had my 6 week checkup yesterday and was told that my ovaries hadn't "woken up yet" - they go thru a "shock" period where they don't work right b/c of the shock to the body - detachment of tubes/uterus, etc... so it takes the ovaries a while to get back to working 100%.

I promise you it WILL get better... I promise. HUGS
Thank you so much, I was started to think I was crazy.. OK maybe that's another topic
My doctor gave me so much information but I don't remember him saying anything about my ovaries going into shock. I'll have to ask him about that.
Sure I have family that care but it's not the same unless you go thru it.
Thank you for your kind words.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register