2nd day post op after myomectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2nd day post op after myomectomy 2nd day post op after myomectomy

Unread 03-11-2012, 02:32 PM
2nd day post op after myomectomy

Hello Ladies,
It was only last Weds when in discussion with my consultant I finally felt happy about the decision to go for myomectomy and not hysterectomy. Prior to that I was very confused and upset about what on earth to do. I'm still a bit concerned another fibroid will grow as I am on HRT and have been for 2 years....but....
I had my op on Fri 9th and today (Sun) am feeling very positive and upbeat if tired and spaced out by loads of opiates.
I had an open myomectomy as the fibroid was intramural on the rear wall of the uterus, so more difficult to access, and harder to stitch successfully in the event of bleeding had it been laporascopically accessed. The fibroid was 10cm diametre and the consultant estimated it weighed about 1kg (2lbs). I got a photo after which was very impressive!
I will report on my recovery as the days go by. My concerns pre-op were around bloating, weight gain, difficulty breathing deeply, tiredness, very emotional, only able to eat small amounts, peeing all the time and constipation. I could feel the fibroid the whole time and was very aware of it. My husband agreed to pay for the op in the end as I'd have had to wait til June for the NHS, and I just couldn't have done that, I was SO unhappy.
Anyway, that's me so far. I need a snooze, but pls ask Q's if you have any.
Best wishes
Sam (Farnham, UK).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Re: 2nd day post op after myomectomy

Hi Sam, Thanks for your progress report. How is the pain/discomfort right now? Did you have a bikini cut? And are you still in hospital?
Look forward to reading your thread.

This is my update: I have made lots of enquiries re: fibroids I have 8+ largest 11cm.
I work overseas and had the option of having the open myomectomy overseas (originally from London, UK) I also sought a surgeon in London and have decided to have the surgery in London.

As I was planning on having the surgery overseas this particular surgeon put me on Lupron, the surgeon in London asked me to come off Lupron 2 months pre-op, reason being that Lupron shrinks fibroids and the small ones can be missed during the operation, only to enlarge later meaning that I may have to go through the whole process again.

I am now off Lupron and the surgeon explained the fibroids would grow back with a vengence and probably bigger. They certainly have, my abdomin is distended much more than before, my clothes are tight, am now wearing stretchy waist bands! Since Feb 6 – I have been constantly bleeding (today is March 12!). I am an avid keep fit fan – but anything aerobic is out of the question now as it makes the flow worse, cannot swim (as I cannot get from the changing room to the pool in time – the flow would stop in water LOL). Don’t even go there with tampons, nothing can go there! And I hate to say I have put on 5kgs!!

So frankly I am actually looking forward to the surgery! Which is scheduled for March 28 hoorah! I am believing God has lead me to this point in my ‘fibroid’ lifetime, and through my investigations and decisions, he lead me to the surgeon in London, who I am very confident with. Whereas the surgeon overseas I was nervous!

Will keep you all posted. God bless Deb
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:19 AM

Dear Deb, I was where you are and couldn't wait for the op. I am now 7 days post op and beginning to believe I will get back to normal...:-)
Yes I had bikini cut just like a section. Getting over it this time has probably been similar to having the kids except I was 10yrs younger and had a beautiful babe and the pain of newly breastfeeding to distract me! I like you, am really into fitness and HATED putting on weight (about 5-7lbs) which I couldn't shift no matter what, and no amount of starving and exercise really made any difference. I was miserable and uncomfortable all the time. Having seen a photo of the fibroid they took out I'm not surprised. It will be the same for you I'm sure. I'm going to have stitches out this pm and am going to histology to poke the fibroid around a bit. I want to see the thing with my own eyes!

They filled me with fluid after the op to prevent adhesions, and it is only today that my abdomen is starting to reduce and I can see my waist re-appearing. I won't get on the scales again until it looks more normal, but I can feel my hip bones for the first time in months.
28th isn't too far away now. Hang on in there. I have been shocked by the pain and physical limitations post op, but each day I can do a bit more. Pls keep in touch and if you want to phone etc. when in the UK I would be happy to talk.
Very best wishes
Sam xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2012, 03:24 AM

Dear Debs,
PS. I didn't have the bleeding problem - what a nightmare - as I have the mirena coil and HRT. A thought for after??
It must feel like life is on hold. By end of April you'll be dancing on the ceiling again :-))
Are all your fibroids in the uterine cavity? Eight + - no wonder you are bloated. My consultant said they weigh heavy because they are muscle and connective tissue.
After I've seen mine this pm, I'll post again.....

God bless you too. Long time since I've had energy to talk to the big man.
Sammi

XX
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:26 AM

Thanks for your replies so encouraging! Some of the fibroids are inside, the uterine cavity some are outside! Am looking forward to seeing them too!! And so looking forward to jumping in the swimming pool again, and spinning again .... just reminiscing LOL! Give thanks to our Lord, because He is the one, that has given our bodies the intelligence to heal after such traumatic surgery! Please stay in touch to let me know how you're doing! How long are you in hospital for? Debs
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Hi Debs,
I'm out now - came out after 3 nights though was booked in for four. Had the stitches out today and can stand a little straighter :-) but still very sore and was told to keep active - be up and about every day (against DVTs) but still not to rush recovery and be set back.
The wound looks great and I really enjoyed (mad) seeing the fibroid today in histology and looking at the slides. Fascinating. Easier to leave it behind now its real and knowing having seen the offending item that I definitely wasn't imagining how crap I felt.
You will do well I'm sure.
My major upsets post op have actually been insensitive close family not even asking how I am - so lots and lots of tears and feeling sorry for myself I guess, cos it IS hard to get through and you really do need lots of support. Something to make sure is in place for you.
I am glad to say I have a Christian friend who is helping me look to God for my needs right now, cos boy, when the chips are down, He's the only one.

Lots of love
Sammi
xxxx
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:52 PM

PS (again),
I like your emoticons. I must get to grips with them....
S x
Unread 03-26-2012, 11:33 AM

Hi Sammi

How are you doing! How long are you post op now?

I have one more day of 'freedom' as my surgery takes place on Wednesday (March 28). Right now I am living at the gym, just about to go and do a yoga class (did a spin class this morning! LOL).

I had spoken with my surgeon on Saturday, and feel confident and so ready. Believe it or not, since coming back to London, the bleeding stopped! My stomach has actually reduced, I have no back pain, or pressure..... I am amazed!

Anyhow, please let me know how you are getting on - it would be good to hear your progress.

God bless Debs
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:31 AM

Hi Debs, Wow, tomorrow! I bet that's why you are feeling better because it will all soon be done. I also was exercising the day before - what are we like?!
I'm doing well, now just over two weeks post op. In the first week I was so swollen and sore and very tentative about anything inc walking. Still only walking - nothing more energetic - and though my strides are getting slightly longer, I'm not as fast and confident as I was. Managing posture has been an issue - trying to keep shoulders back etc when instinct is to hunch over a bit to protect the tum.
I've lost a few pounds :-))))) but won't hit the gym for a while yet - the idea of twisting feels awful, and there's still a lot of healing to do inside.
Don't underestimate how much you need to rest. Put yourself first and make sure everyone else does too!!
Good luck and let me know how you go on.
God bless,
Sam xxxx
Unread 03-30-2012, 12:21 PM

Hi everyone
Just an update 2nd day post op!
17 fibroids removed by myomectomy! Up and walking around the next day. Today second day did some stairs. Reason behind the quick bounce back is due to my fitness level and I give honour to my Lord for guiding me through the whole process. I did have a catheter inserted in my bladder which was removed today. I still have a catheter in my uterus which helps stop scare tissue. Am very tired, and tire easily if talking on the phone, even having visitors. All in all am so very very grateful those suckers are OUT!!
Debs

Myomectomy March 28, 2012

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register