Do you think this is normal post op? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you think this is normal post op? Do you think this is normal post op?

Unread 04-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Re: Do you think this is normal post op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by classical music View Post
Yes, I was told about pain in the shoulder due to gas. From the "gas" they use to pump up the abdomen during surgery. I guess gas isn't the right word, I forget what they use to expand the abdomen
It's carbon dioxde =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Glad you are better!! I was thinking about your post all day today , and wondering if you were ok! So glad! Hang in there! Always call your dr if you have any concerns, nothing is frivolous ever!! If it concerns your health. Hoping your recovery will now be smooth , kirstin
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM

i am that way everytime i have anesthesia... it takes a few days for my body to remember how to breathe again... practice taking as deep of breaths as you can and hold it for a few seconds... do that several times an hour and keep working on it...
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM

Hi there,

I am glad your nurse got back with you and you are feeling better. As I was reading your post my first thought was gas pains. There is actually a difference in shortness of breath due to an embolism and gas pains. Embolisms like someone already said can be very sneaky. But usually feels more like an asthma attack I guess. Pain/constriction directly in your lungs. Whereas with gas pains you just feel you can't expand your lungs because of pain. Usually sharp pains under your ribs or in your diaphragm area. Does that make any sense? I know what I am trying to say just not sure if I am bringing it across correctly. Taking showers will exhaust you for some time after surgery. And since your lungs are relearning how to expand correctly when you get into a hot steamy environment it makes it a little harder for them. Gas x has been my best friend since surgery. I am almost 4 weeks post op and still have episodes. I was having one not that long ago. It actually had me a little worried myself. Well I hope all turns out well for you!
Unread 04-16-2010, 03:00 PM

The breathing issues have not been a problem today while resting so that is progress. Thanks for everyone's concern. My husband called and when I anwered he said I sounded winded but it was just from walking at a normal pace (instead of a snails pace) to answer the phone. I am taking gas x with every meal and I think that is helping although I still have the right shoulder/neck pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register