Any sisters have to buy new clothes due to swelly belly?? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any sisters have to buy new clothes due to swelly belly?? Any sisters have to buy new clothes due to swelly belly??

Unread 09-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Re: Any sisters have to buy new clothes due to swelly belly??

What exactly is "swelly belly"? Is this something that will happen to all hyster sisters every day, forever??? Oh my gosh I'm worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2012, 11:20 PM

I bought yoga pants before surgery based on what I was reading on this site. Glad I did. It is quite comical to watch my tummy poof up in the afternoon. Gradually gets bigger. I try to wear my tummy binder in the afternoon when it starts to swell. Isn't it fun? :s
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:42 PM

Hi Sisters! I ended up with 2 surgeries this summer. First a hysterectomy and then they removed my ovaries on July 31. After the surgeries I had to have internal radiation due to the cancer diagnosis.

All clear now but am fed up withy belly too! I know my poor belly has been through a lot but it is hard to figure out if I am bloated because I've a) eaten too much b) am constipated c) STILL from the surgeries!? It does seem to get worse at the end of the day.

So, I want to tell you all what has helped me. I wore maxi dresses and leggings with long tunic tops and flats throughout the summer. Looked a bit pregnant from time to time but whatever!!

I also bought, ironically because I have never been pregnant, a couple of maternity tops at the gap that I could wear over shorts or Capri pants that I could wear but not button. For those I would either use a rubber band to fasten them and then finally bought the belly belt on amazon.

Great success with the belly belt as it allowed me to wear pants and jeans with longer tops.

Now i can button my pants but am bloated by the end of the day so sometimes use the rubber band that I always keep on my wrist and make sure I wear something that can be untucked.

It is meant to go away, everyone is différent!!

Hugs!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Swelly belly is the swelling of your stomach after they blow you full of gas to see inside while they are doing your hyst. I had it 3 times and I must say this is the worst. I know it will go away with time but it isnt fun. I agree mine is worse after the day is done. I still have bit of gas issues .lol.I also notice swelling after pastas and breads. Guess I need to revamp my diet too. Thank goodness I work in dietary. I wish all good luck.
Unread 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM

I've been wearing some maternity jeans I found in my closet...nice to have a break from the sweatpants & pjs!
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmille66 View Post
Swelly belly is the swelling of your stomach after they blow you full of gas to see inside while they are doing your hyst. I had it 3 times and I must say this is the worst. I know it will go away with time but it isnt fun. I agree mine is worse after the day is done. I still have bit of gas issues .lol.I also notice swelling after pastas and breads. Guess I need to revamp my diet too. Thank goodness I work in dietary. I wish all good luck.
The initial swelly belly can be from the gas, but the prolonged swelly belly that can last months post op is from the trauma of the surgery and the swelling is protecting us. It's sort of like when you sprain an ankle and it swells sometimes on and off for months after if you use it too much.Please read this hystersister article that tells all about swelly belly,
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_163685.htm
Unread 10-02-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy41 View Post
I was trying on a pair of my jeans,hoping I can wear them and stop wearing dresses or strecthy pants and was horrified to find out 4 weeks post op today only half fit.It was very depressing .I was overweight to begin with and have not gained weight or lost weight (Darn it) . Have any sister here tried and like me failed to get back into some of their regular clothes. I go back to work in 2 weeks and I may need some more clothes. Now mind y'all I like to shop for new clothes normaly but this would mean buying BIGGER pants,very depressing.

I know it is the swelly belly thing and it gets worse as the day goes on and if I do too much.but darnit ladies how long will this go on ,and should I buy some bigger sizes or maternity pants for now.? Thanks for any insight.
I work in a corporate setting and would normally wear suits that I can't fit over my belly yet. So wearing v-neck wrap style dresses in my normal size with heels and a bit of bling
Unread 10-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Any sisters have to buy new clothes due to swelly belly??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookyl View Post
I work in a corporate setting and would normally wear suits that I can't fit over my belly yet. So wearing v-neck wrap style dresses in my normal size with heels and a bit of bling
I wear suits or at a minimum business casual clothing normally as well. The belly belt helps a ton! Pants and skirts fit with a longer top and the jacket. You can find it on amazon.
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:43 PM

I ended up buying some spanks underwear for support and to even out my tummy ridge (it looks weird in dress pants). I also got a few print shirts so it would take away (at least visually ) from showing my tummy too much. The last thing I want is to have some nosey rosie to ask me if I'm pregnant! Good Luck to everyone going back to work this week. I start back Friday and am very nervous about it.
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Went shopping yet again today...belly is HUGE. I quit. Came home and I weigh 6 lbs more!!!! Is this water weight or am I going to be huge...UGH

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register