Hysterectomy:What should I expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy:What should I expect? Hysterectomy:What should I expect?

Unread 05-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Hysterectomy:What should I expect?

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I am 32 years old and have no children. I have to go back to the doctors on May 11th. He is going to schedule a hysterectomy. He says it is my only option now. I was wondering what I'm in for. How much pain will I be in? Will I have a scar? What are the after effects? I read horror stories that women lose control of their bladder and that their bodies change. How will my body change? Will I still be feminine. I don't think he is going to remove my ovaries, so does that make a difference? This is an embarrassing question, but will my private parts change in any way? Will I gain weight or will my body shape change? If I want to have children someday will I still produce eggs? How long after I have the hysterectomy will my ovaries still function? I just have so many questions and I'm really scared. Another embarrassing question that I have is about sex. Will it still feel the same to me or my partner. I have a Fiancee and I need to know how this will effect him too. I just need to know all of the details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2005, 12:17 PM

You REALLY need to talk to your Dr about all this.He/she can give you the best advice.
I can only tell you from my situation
I was in alot of pain right after my TVH.........it was taken care of my pain meds.
I took pain meds for the first 3 weeks---some sister use none after day 2
Don't know about sex as I'm only 4 weeks post-op
I have my Ovaries and I can tell you the desire to have sex is HIGH.I can't wait to be given the o.k. for it.
I have lost 6 pounds since my TVH
Depending on what type of Hyster you have is depending on if there will be a visable scar.
I'm assuming you'll be getting the TAH---yes there will be a scar.But, alot of sisters have said they use lotion on it AFTER they are given the o.k. and the scar lightnes up
YES you will still be femanine.
If your ovaries are removed,you may go into instant Menopause.But, that can be taken care of with HRT.
I have NOT lost control of my bladder!!!
I still experience PMS,so I know my Ovaries are still working.

PLEASE, call your Dr and ask these questions also.
Good luck!
Unread 05-03-2005, 01:07 PM

Your best info will come from your doc (I hope!)

However having faced a possible hyster because of dyplasia progressing at about the same age (managed to get it under control) - It will more than likely be abdominal and will take the cervix and uterus and maybe tubes... if your doc is tallking about leaving ovaries then that is good. S/he will make a 'vaginal cuff'...

Will you still 'function' - sure you can - there are more success storeis than problems (you just don't hear the success stories).

I am being practical (not crass) - which is more important: your life or your cervix/uterus/tubes, etc... You don't lose who you are becasue of losing 1 or 2 body parts - not if you are mentally healthy to start anyway.

I am minus my uterus and feel great, look good, have DH worrying about men chasing after me (and I'm 46)... so you can too. In fact the pre-fibroid clothes all went to the cleaners and he was looking in my closet last night saying "those clothes and heels - I'm gonna need a gun to scare them off"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2005, 01:14 PM

I agree with the other sisters...talk to your doc or nurse about all your concerns. I had a TVH on 4/22. The pain is not unbearable. Your private parts will not look different on the outside. Sex "should" feel the same to u and your partner after. If u keep your ovaries they will produce eggs, but you wont have a uterus for them to implant in, you won't be able to get pregnant. You will need hormones if they take your ovaries.
Read the posts on this site...full of info.
Good luck!
Unread 05-03-2005, 04:08 PM

I can remember being where you are now!...Completely confused and full of unanswered questions.
First things first... Take a Deep Breath!!
I have to agree with all of the other 'sisters' here... your Dr will be better able to answer all your questions. We can only tell you what we have experienced. Everyone is different!

I had my TVH on Feb 2 of this year. For me, there wasnt much pain at all. The little pain I did have was taken care of by regular over the counter Advil. I still have my ovaries, but not my cervix. Hysterectomy or not... you WILL still be feminine!
I also never had any of the "horror stories" come true... my bladder works fine, nothing fell out... everything is just as it was before my surgery.

As far as sex is concerned... neither myself or my husband can tell any difference at all since my surgery. Orgasm is "different" but not at all in a bad way... it is just a little different. I still enjoy making love to my husband, and he feels the same about me.

I think the best advice for you is to jot down a list of your questions and take that list with you when you see your Dr. He/She is your best source of info!! They can better explain everything for you... and hopefully put your mind at ease!!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register