Wed. is the day....I need a xanax! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wed. is the day....I need a xanax! Wed. is the day....I need a xanax!

Unread 07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Wed. is the day....I need a xanax!

Well, Wednesday it is. They are yanking the fat ole' uterus and my right ovary with its dermoid tumor attached. I'm beginning to get anxious. How can you not? What scares me is that when my son was born 16 years ago, I developed something called HELPP syndrome. It was beyond toxemia and he and I are lucky to be alive. So needless to say, any surgery concerns me. My BP was sky high and my platelet count went low, low, low. And didn't reverse itself right away after he was born - which it was supposed to do. So, someone please tell me this won't happen to me again. I won't have toxemia or worse, right? I had an emergency C-section and because I had to be on anti-convulsive drugs, the only pain releiver I had was tylenol 3. And to boot I got a terrible headache from the spinal, not to mention the horrible gas pains that made me throw up - Try that with staples in your stomach! So, needless to say...I'm comparing my upcoming surgery to my horrible child bearing experience. I'm scare poopless. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2006, 11:50 AM

I am sure others 'who have been there' will respond but I have seen several posts where posters state that their Hys's were easier than their C-Sections.

Julie
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:25 PM

Well, I had a c-section 18 years ago (I had preeclampsia & on the verge of toxemia, my bp too was sky-high), and that was the only surgery I've ever had. So I cannot comment on a LAVH to c-section comparison, however, my stress level is much lower because this time around in surgery it will be all about me and not my DS. I believe that this will be easier since my stress is less.

Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2006, 01:26 PM

I am on blood pressure meds, so going into surgery for my TAH was a concern-I thought I might stroke out! But I was monitored carefully, took my meds everyday and was fine. I always asked what my pressure was after the nurses took it (which they did many times!) and it was always normal or even below normal. I hope your experience will be good as well!
Unread 07-24-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootser
Well, Wednesday it is. They are yanking the fat ole' uterus and my right ovary with its dermoid tumor attached. I'm beginning to get anxious. How can you not? What scares me is that when my son was born 16 years ago, I developed something called HELPP syndrome. It was beyond toxemia and he and I are lucky to be alive. So needless to say, any surgery concerns me. My BP was sky high and my platelet count went low, low, low. And didn't reverse itself right away after he was born - which it was supposed to do. So, someone please tell me this won't happen to me again. I won't have toxemia or worse, right? I had an emergency C-section and because I had to be on anti-convulsive drugs, the only pain releiver I had was tylenol 3. And to boot I got a terrible headache from the spinal, not to mention the horrible gas pains that made me throw up - Try that with staples in your stomach! So, needless to say...I'm comparing my upcoming surgery to my horrible child bearing experience. I'm scare poopless. Help!
I was afraid before my TAH, I had a huge cyst, and had a very high risk for uterine cancer. I have been afraid of general anesthesia all my life. I told my gyn about that fear, and he said that the operating room would be the most controlled environment I would ever be in. I had a spinal before I was put out,
I told the anesthesiologist I did not want to feel groggy as if I was going to sleep, I would fight it. I don't know how he did it, but I woke up in the recovery room totally surprised I'd been under for 3 hours! The spinal was worse than the general. I am very overweight, have diabetes, blodd pressure problems and was very anemic, and I am 52! I did it, so can you!
Just pray.
Unread 07-24-2006, 06:55 PM

IMO the worst thing you can do is try to compare this experience with what happened 16 years ago.....Don't even put yourself through it....Believe me, these doctors do not want anything to happen to you! You ill be closly monitored.. Tell them your concerns, but don't sweat it. And as the other lady said.......PRAY.... and trust God to get you through this... God Bless You
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:18 PM

Hello everyone and thank you for your replies. I went to my family doctor today and got cleared for surgery! My blood pressure was borderline but he gave me the A OK. I told him about my fear of a repeat of what happened to me when my son was born and he said not to worry that I can't get HELPP syndrome without being pregnant! I do feel better about that. I talked to him about the epidural and he didn't have a good answer for me. He wasn't sure if they use the epidural for pain control or for anestethia. I thought perhaps pain control. And then his reaction was that he thought oral pain control was less risky then getting a needle in your back. He said his wife had it twice with the birth of their children but chose it because she would be breastfeeding and didn't want the baby to have morphine. I'm hanging in there. I just want it to be over. Thanks for being there fore me.
Unread 07-25-2006, 01:06 AM

Good luck with your surgery,and may you have a good recovery.Thought's and prayer's your way.
Unread 07-25-2006, 05:35 PM

IMO Go with the morphine for pain control... It works wonders and does not carry the risks of a spinal....
Unread 07-25-2006, 08:05 PM

Good luck tomorrow, don't forget, your doctor has his medical license on the line when he does surgery, he is going to take every precaution to make sure you come through with flying colors! I have talked to women in their 70's who tell me that the day they had their TAH was the best day of their lives!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register