do I keep my cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

do I keep my cervix? do I keep my cervix?

Unread 04-05-2009, 03:24 PM
do I keep my cervix?

I'm scheduling surgery next week...hoping for LSH, had 2 c-sections so the dr. is concerned with cervix and bladder being connected with scar tissue. I have a family history of many cancers and don't want to take any chances....dr recommended possibly leaving cervix but Im unsure...do I really need to keep it? Im worried I'll just end up back in there getting it out later....any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Re: do I keep my cervix?

I had mine out. I think that if I had to do it all over again, I would leave my cervix in. If the cancer risk that you are concerned about is specific to the cervix, if I were in your shoes I would have it removed. Just my opinion. Best wishes to you and good luck with your decision.
Unread 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM

Since I had never had an abnormal pap test, my dr recommended leaving my cervix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2009, 03:49 PM

I can't tell you yet what it is like without my cervix, as I am only 13 days post op. I can tell you that this was my most difficult decision! I have had one bad pap test 18 months ago. My doctor planned on having me keep it until I mentioned the bad pap test... and then I asked my doctor what he would want his wife to do if she was sitting in my chair... he said remove it. With that - I decided to remove it. However, if I was a low risk for HPV and had never ever had a bad pap.. I would have kept it. Each one of us having to look at individual circumstances and make the best decision for ourself... and hope we are right!
Unread 04-05-2009, 03:51 PM

I feel the same way. I had a pelvic sonogram last week & just found out the reason why I was bleeding so much. I have fibroids. I'm only 28! I was hoping to have another child b/c my husband & I have talked about it, but my tubes are tied. Now that I found out that I have fibroids, i'm so confused as to what I would like to do. Please someone give me some good advice....
Unread 04-05-2009, 04:05 PM

what i did when i found out i was having a hysterectomy, was google cervix removal, orgasms after cervix removal, cervix removal and pelvic support, etc. i read everything i could and decided that since my cervix was healthy, i wanted to keep it. i didnt want a vaginal cuff and i liked the shorter recovery period if its kept. i dont mind having yearly paps/exams..ive been having them for so long, they dont bother me at all. do as much research as you can..you can find some great info online. good luck with your decision!
Unread 04-05-2009, 04:19 PM

The reason for my hyster was very large fibroids. The dr didn't give my and option for keeping my cervix as everything was so miss shaped. I can't say that I miss it.

Good luck with your journey. I know you will make the best decision for you.
Unread 04-05-2009, 06:49 PM

Hi Ncraig,

I had a LSH and kept my cervix. I am still very pleased with the decision.

If your cervix is healthy and there is not a problem with scar tissue...I would say...why not keep your cervix.. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. Also, if you are worried about cancer...my Dr. told me that 3% or less of women get cervical cancer. And I read on Hyster Sisters..that approx. 70% of that 3% also have a HPV. That was good odds for me...since I knew I did not have a HPV. That is the reason that it is important to have normal pap smears if a Hyster Sister is contemplating keeping the cervix.

Also, my younger sister had 2 c-sections with my nieces and she (also) had a successful LSH surgery in 2007.

In the end...just do what you feel is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 04-05-2009, 08:49 PM

For me with other health concerns, the doctor recommended removing it. She explained it was the bottom third of the uterus, so if removing the uterus, then it was better for me than going back in later down the road. I've had some additional complications, so her call was right for me.
Don't hesitate to write down your questions and call your doctor to ask them all --they're used to that. With your knowledge of your own body and health condition, your doctor's knowledge and expertise, and your sisters' (here) experiences, you will come to the best decision for you. Take care,
Unread 04-05-2009, 09:10 PM

I left that decision in the hands of my Dr. He was the one getting a good look at the whole picture. We did talk about it and the main point he made was that leaving the cervix is more than just a sexual issue. It helps hold up other organs. This way I would not need a sling of anu kind.
There was no cancer or fibriod tumors found upon my cervix in surgery, and he stated it was a very healthy organ. there was a 6.5 pound fibriod in my uterus though! Glad that is gone.
Talk with your surgeon, even before the surgery. I had a long conversation with my DR. as they were preping the OR.

You will do great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register