Alot of questions about the whole process | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Alot of questions about the whole process Alot of questions about the whole process

Unread 07-25-2006, 04:56 AM
Alot of questions about the whole process

Where do i begin I am having surgery 8/20/06 and I have a appt w/doctor on 7/31 and I'm afraid I won't know what to ask??? Any suggestions. Can anyone tell me the average hospital stay ? ( this will be a bikini cut stomach hyster) I have three Babies ( Dogs) and will need to make arrangements. My husband seems to think I'm worring about nothing I guess men don't get it....
Any advise........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2006, 05:13 AM

I am a lady in waiting also, so I can't speak from experience yet. As far as your questions, there are some great questions listed under the pre-op tab at the top of the page. I took some questions from there and a few of my own and printed them off. I am going to take them with me Thursday for my pre op and have the dr. answer them then.

Hospital stay depends on type of surgery and if there are any complications and how soon you pass gas. I have seen ladies on here who were home in 24 hours and others who have had to stay a week or more. I think it depends on your dr. and how your procedure goes.

My DH doesn't "get it" either. He just can't understand why one minute I am all up for my surgery and the next I am crying and want to cancel. lol

This is a WONDERFUL site and you will get lots and lots of support and answers to any questions you might have. Good luck!!
Unread 07-25-2006, 07:34 AM

You are in the right place! There are some good resources for pre- surgery info at the top of this page. Print out your email and take it to your preop appt; it will make it easier to ask your DR questions. I was very nervous before my surgery and went through two ablasions and a lot of thought about the hysto beforehand. I am on the other side now and recovering nicely. This site has been of great help to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2006, 08:13 AM

The pre-op questions were great for me. I printed them out and took them with me to see my doctor. At the end I asked him, "what should I have asked - that other patients ask - that I didn't ask?" He laughed and said I had covered everything.

I had a TAH/BSO + other repairs. I was in the hospital 2-1/2 days. (In retrospect - I sortof wish I could have stayed one more day - but that has nothing to do with my healing. I liked being pampered in the hospital because I had nurses with GREAT sense of humor and a great roommate.)

I had to perform certain tasks while I was in the hospital. In order to get the catheter out (and stay out), I had to pee a certain amount of fluid. (I was happy to say that I accomplished that task - but not as soon as the nurses would have liked.)

In order to eat solid food - I had to pass gas. Someone else here used the term "farting for food" - and I remembered that when I was in the hospital - which kept me laughing.
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:47 AM

I stayed in the hospital 4 days and 3 nights for an uncomplicated TAH keeping my ovaries. The doctor wanted to be sure I didn't get an infection. He offered for me to go home a day earlier but I stayed to let my hubby get one more nights rest. (By then the insurance company was paying the bill anyway!)

I was given liquids for the first day, light solids the rest of my stay.

I wanted to know things like, would my doctor see me every day (since I was in the hospital over a weekend)? In addition to the questions on the list.

PM me if I can help!
Unread 07-25-2006, 10:13 AM

I think the pre-op tab has great info, I am also planning to print out the question page to use when I see my doctor for preop visit. Keep reading this forum, too - such good questions and the responses are so helpful. As for dh not "getting it", mine is trying - he really isn't ready to talk about it with me yet. But..I've told him about this site, he thinks it's great. We both laughed thinking about if men had sites like this for prostate troubles or vasectomies? Think about it....probably post something like, "dude, you'll be fine. Suck it up." I can just see it now! I'm so glad we Sisters can talk honestly about what we're facing. What a wonderful sorority we have!
Best of luck to you!
Unread 07-25-2006, 10:33 AM

I had a TAH and was told the average hospital stay was 2-3 days. I have other medical problems so I had to stay 6 days. Also, I was on solid food from the moment I got out of surgery and didn't have to pass gas in order to get it.
Unread 07-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Thank You

Thank You so much for your information it was very informative. If I may ask when is your surgery scheduled and which type incision are they talking about doing ???? I just joined hystersister yesterday and I hope I'm not out of line by saying this but I wonder if you would interested in sharing your experience with me through personal email.
My surgery is not scheduled until last August I will know for sure on 7/31
Thanks Again.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register