Post menopausal bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post menopausal bleeding Post menopausal bleeding

Unread 09-29-2014, 06:09 PM
Post menopausal bleeding

Hello,

I am new to this site, but, wanted to kind of get started with figuring things out. I am 54 and have been over two years with no periods, hot flashes, yada yada... Just ten days ago I started bleeding, and have not stopped. Its not crazy bleeding, more like the early signs of getting my period, and then several times it was a bit more than that. Sometimes it stops entirely, and I just have a yellowish disc I had a hard time finding a gynecologist that could see me, they are all pretty booked up around here, and I didn't already have a regular gyno. I am terrible at taking care of myself and staying on top of routine exams. My last pap smear was probably over 20 years ago, so, I'm feeling kind of foolish that I have to tell everyone I encounter on this journey that I am that far behind.

And now here I am, 19 years since my last birth, and over two years since my last period, and I am having increasing bleeding that just came out of nowhere. The first gyno I was able to see I am basically dropping.

His office is so disorganized and unprofessional. The nurse was the only one that seemed on the ball, but, even she didn't follow up with the routine tests (mamogram, etc) that I said I wanted to schedule. She just wrote it on my chart and forgot about it. She said I didn't need a urine sample, which seemed weird as they had no idea if perhaps I had a UTI or something, just kind of brushed it off. Once I was in the exam room, the doctor breezed in, didn't really ask me very many questions, started doing a rather quick and cursory full gyno exam. I have no idea how he could assess anything. He never asked if anything he did hurt the way a doctor normally would. I guess he thought he could tell. He couldn't because some of it did.

So then it was time for my pelvic exam, and he immediately finds a polyp on the outside of my cervix, which he removed. He said it had already died so that was not the source of the bleeding. He said my cervix was very raw and rough, and he cauterized some of it saying that should stop the bleeding. Then he did a pap smear and threaded a tube into my cervix for a biopsy of my uterus which hurt so bad I almost jumped off the table. I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

Then he told me that he thought I should consider having my cervix removed, and that it would be very painful with a long recovery, or to have a full hysterectomy. My head was reeling, because he never really told me what his reason was for wanting to do surgery, other than the fact that I really don't need those organs anymore. I told him I would wait to hear back on the tests before making any decisions.

When the tests all came back clear but the bleeding worsened. I went back in to see him, this time my husband accompanied me. Another pelvic exam, and more cervical cauterization, but, he had my husband look at my cervix and watch as he did the procedure. My husband saw that the bleeding was coming from inside the cervix not the cervix itself and the cauterizing was not stopping it. Still, I was hopeful that this would work. The doctor again pushed for surgery, but I wasn't sold on his reasoning, still not giving me any idea what was actually causing the bleeding. He never suggested any uterine sonogram or other scan to see what if anything was going on inside. He also said that my ovaries couldn't be producing estrogen anymore because I am post menopausal, which flies in the face of what I have read in my research, and he also said that women do not have testosterone, ever. Another contradiction with even the Mayo clinic information.

When he pressed for a decision about surgery, I chose to wait two weeks and then decide, to give myself time to get a second opinion. So, Friday of next week I am scheduled to see a Gyno that has much better reviews from patients than the first doctor did. I really should have done more homework before seeing him. Hopefully, this other doctor will investigate further whether I have fibroid, or polyps, or whatever is up inside my uterus that is causing bleeding, and as of the last 24 hours, a lot of pressure on my bladder and bowel.

And that is my story so far. Both my husband and I believe a hysterectomy is my best option, and since I wont' be needing those organs anymore, it will be nice to not have to worry about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Re: Post menopausal bleeding

I would not be comfortable with his recommendations either. You may just have a fibroid causing the bleeding, or you may be at the early stage of something more critical. Follow your instinct and get another opinion. Good luck!
Unread 09-29-2014, 07:18 PM

I would not be comfortable with his reasoning either and glad you are getting a second opinion. I had post menopausal bleeding that was caused by a polyp in the uterus. Had several testing done that showed the polyp finally in a vaginal sonogram which hurt like all heck. Had a DNC done and everything came back normal no Cancer but did show that my Endometrial lining was thickening so they put me on antibiotic, 2 weeks after the DNC I started bleeding heavily with clots. That's when we scheduled the Hysterectomy.
I would definitely get a second opinion.
Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2014, 07:28 PM

I agree with everyone here. Don't go back to him or listen to what he has to say. Find another doc who treats you with respect and dignity.
Unread 10-05-2014, 02:36 PM

So, I saw another Gyn on Friday. She has me scheduled for an ultrasound tomorrow. The bleeding stopped on Wednesday, turned to a yellow discharge which as also stopped, but, I am still having pressure on my bladder, back ache like I'm having my period, and contractions like Braxton hicks.

Something is definitely not right, but, what if they don't see anything on the ultrasound?
Unread 10-05-2014, 06:37 PM

Then keep after them to find out what is causing it. Have you been confirmed for menopause? Might be one last hurrah!! But seriously, you need to find out the cause. I would think D&C is in your future unless the ultrasound shows something more.

I started spotting then bleeding after 8 years. It went on over a year before I finally got insurance and could go to the doctor. For me it had been 10 years.Ultrasound showed polyp. D&C showed numerous polyps and complex hyperplasia with atypia. Was very surprised that it had gone to cancer which was discovered in post hyster pathology.

Good that you are going now and will find out what is going on. Praying yours is no more than something hormonal going on.
Unread 10-05-2014, 06:47 PM

Prayers for you. Glad you are changing Dr and having it checked out.

Hugs,
Anndy
Unread 10-06-2014, 04:49 PM

Sooo, I had my ultrasound today. The tech didn't catch that a transvag ultrasound was requested until I was on the bed, and I was in pain with a full bladder, so, she said let's just do the abdominal and see if it finds enough that the Dr won't need the transvag. Well, I'm so glad we went that route, because I have never had so much pain in an ultrasound ever. I'm hoping it does what it needs to do and shows what it needs to show. I won't hear anything until the Dr reviews the results.

Has anyone else had pain from an abdominal ultrasound before? I know others report having pain during transvag, but haven't read that the abdominal ultrasound caused pain.

:
Unread 10-06-2014, 06:46 PM

Hi Sweetie,
I am sorry you have these issues and of course post menopausal bleeding must be looked at and cause found. It is clear why you needed to turn to another doctor and hope she will find the reason(s) for the bleeding,etc.
As your doctor ordered a transvaginal ultrasound she most likely wanted to determine the thickness of the endometrial strip; a thicker strip might mean endometrial precancer or cancer could be lurking . If the lining is found to be thick for a postmenopausal woman, your doctor then probably would do either an endometrial biopsy or a D&C with hysteroscope to further investigate if precancer/cancer might be there. I am not sure however what an abdominal ultrasound would show/rule out when postmenopausal bleeding is a symptom.
I have had abdominal ultrasounds that have been very uncomfortable; basically I am a fluffy woman and added size means they have to press harder to have the ultrasound "see" internal organs.FYI, I've had these type ultrasounds not when I experienced postmenopausal bleeding but when pancreatic issues arise as I have a congenital defect of that organ which sometimes causes flare-ups.
Good luck and hope you get some answers soon.
Unread 10-11-2014, 09:56 AM

Got my results from my ultrasound the other day. It showed everything normal. The nurse called to give me the results, and she said the doctor wants me to call if I start bleeding again. sigh

Do they really want me to ignore the fact that the original reason I came to see them was over two weeks of post menopause bleeding after being without so much as a drop for over two years. Then add to that the cramping, pressure, and general feeling that something isn't right, and I am so frustrated that I'm being told to wait to see if the bleeding starts again.

I asked about hysteroscope and was told I would need a pre op visit first, so, I scheduled the next available appointment which won't be for two more weeks. I just feel like now that the bleeding has stopped no one really thinks it's an issue.

Am I over reacting? Is it really okay to just go on with my life unless the bleeding starts again? Should I have pressed for a transvaginal ultrasound?

As it stands now, I made an appointment with the original doctor that I really didn't like, but, seemed willing to schedule a hysteroscope if I wanted one. I see him on Monday. This whole thing just bites.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register