Help, major constipation - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help, major constipation Help, major constipation

Unread 07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Help, major constipation

I had terrible constipation and gas. Are you passing some gas at least? If you have not passed gas call your doctor now. You do not want a bowel obstruction to go without treatment. If you have passed gas then you can do a few things. You can take a suppository to get things going below. This works in less than 30 minutes. I had one left over from my bowel prep. If that does not give you enough relief then take Milk of Magnesia, the full 4 T. This should move things from the top. Once you get some relief stay on stool softners or prune juice or fiber and drink lots of water. I find that the pain meds still keep me constipated and once in awhile I need to take a 1T of MOM and it does the trick.

I hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Help, major constipation

Senokot has worked wonders for me!!!
Unread 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Help, major constipation

I have found that benefiber works great for me after the initial dose of Milk of Magnesia to get things moving. It is tasteless, not thick or goocky, you can mix it in your juice or water.
Unread 07-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Help, major constipation

Another thing to remember is that stool softeners are not the same thing as laxatives. Constipation is a combination of hard stools and/or the body's inability to move your stools (whether hard or not) through your colon/rectum. Laxatives will help you poo whereas stool softeners will just make hard stools softer and easier to pass.
I probably wouldn't suggest any foods like beans or high fiber foods, because while they're perfect for a healthy, working digestive system, they will just produce painful gas while your body is in a healing phase. You may wish to get the fiber-supplements like metamucil because they don't have the gas producing chemicals in them but still give you the high fiber to move things along.
Someone also said you might try ginger snap cookies. I still stand by guava juice or the chocolate/coke combo.
Unread 07-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Help, major constipation

Hi there,
Did you get relief yet?
If not, I suggest you try a couple of tablespoons of hemp hearts daily on your porridge or put it on something you like. It sort of tastes like sunflower seeds. This is more natural than chemicals and works fairly well. Besides being good for your digestive system, it also helps with your blood pressure and colesterol. You can buy it at health food stores.
I sometimes put it in my baking as well.
Hope this helps. Let me know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register