Turned out to be small cuff infection not uti or kidney | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Turned out to be small cuff infection not uti or kidney Turned out to be small cuff infection not uti or kidney

Unread 06-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Turned out to be small cuff infection not uti or kidney

I went to after hours care today. My gyn closed early and my family DR only had one DR working and were booked. I just knew I had either uti or kidney because of my symptoms. He said my urine didn't look that bad, even though sometimes it doesn't show up. I thought it was getting better when I urinated last night except for the fever, aches, and chills. Then I woke up with my back hurting again this morning and my pelvic area. I told the DR about my IC, but that this felt different from when that flares up.

He wanted to check my blood count. It showed that I was fighting some kind of infection. He did a pelvic exam which I haven't ever had done anywhere besides gyn's office, but I needed to know what was going on. He wanted to know if certain areas were tender and still hurt and they did, very much so. He said that is where the infection is but it wasn't too bad. He said that this is common and that surgeon's see this all the time. He did say he didn't see anything that needed to be drained. He put me on Levaquin which will cover both the cuff and bladder. He wants me to let my gyn know next week and to follow up with him. I told him that my gyn had said that if my hurting in my side hadn't stopped at 6 weeks, I was supposed to let him know anyway. I have had a fever almost the whole time since my surgery. It had stopped for a short time and yesterday it hit me like a ton of bricks. I put on winter pj's and cut off the air and got under the covers and ached all night. I told him that is when I knew something was wrong. He also said that if they tell you to wait until 6 weeks to have sex then it is because it is still needing to heal. My gyn checked me at 4 weeks and he did say to wait 2 more weeks. I wonder if I've had this infection the whole time and it just didn't clear up all the way. I took those 2 strong antibiotics right after surgery and still continued to run a fever up until my 4 weeks check-up. The DR didn't get to check my urine then because it was the week-end so he was just trying to cover several things.

I had just stopped running a low grade fever a few days before this happened. So I definitely agree with you ladies who say when you run a fever and have these symptoms to get it checked out. Some may have a cuff infection and not know it, or think it is bladder or kidney since the symptoms are very similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Turned out to be small cuff infection not uti or kidney

Chay Chay...so glad you were able to get in to find out what the problem was. I understand your discomfort completely...I've been going up and down with this cuff infection since the first week home. It's getting better all the time. But I didn't get the fever as bad as you. Only had a fever the day before I got into the doctor. You should be feeling better in no time )

Cindy in CA

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register