Sex Post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Sex Post-op

Tuesday I will be 5 weeks post op with a Total Hysterectomy.

I read on here, and also online that anywhere before 4-6 weeks is ok to start start having "relations" again. I have been feeling ok, still obviously recovering and the "normal" is very slow going. Anyway, after having relations last night, I have been cramping really bad all day long. I will obviously be calling the DR. tomorrow for this but wanted to see other peoples opinions/ advice.

Thoughts? I'm not scheduled to see my OB for another 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Re: Sex Post-op

Oh sister I'm sorry! My first question is did your doctor clear you for sex? My doctor said we had to wait eight weeks. Each doctor is different. You may have tried too soon. You should make sure that you call tomorrow and make an appointment if needed. It's important to make sure that everything is healed internally before anything is placed inside of the vagina. Hopefully everything is just fine.
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:45 PM

No. She didn't officially "clear" me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2013, 05:51 PM

You should definitely try and get an appointment as soon as possible. My doctor checked my cuff at my six week appointment. She wanted to make sure that she couldn't see any of my stitches. Even with that she told us to wait two more weeks. Are you in pain? If you are, make sure you take something and try to relax. I'm sure that it will be ok. Trust me, I know how hard it is to wait!
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:53 PM

cuff?

Yes I'm in pain. It's a weird, cramping pain.
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:56 PM

If there's no bleeding, you *probably* did no serious harm but that was still not the wisest thing you've done this week

Call your doc, fess up, schedule a look-see if you're still feeling crampier than before you were naughty or if you develop a fever, begin feeling more than mild nausea, if there's a change in your stool (especially if there's any sign at all of blood in the stool) or in your urinary behavior (more frequent, not frequent enough, painful, difficulty starting, not fully emptying.)

And no more sex for you until the doc says so! (Tapping fingernails on desk, left eyebrow arched severely )
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:09 PM

I already have urinary issues. Been seen by a Urologist and diagnosed with IC (Interstitial Cystitis) since my surgery.

I assumed that my pain was from the IC, since for the most part I thought my healing was going pretty good.
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:31 PM

OOOhhh.... owie! No fun dealing with IC!
Everything else I said still holds but that does make the urinary clues far less reliable.... drats!
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:19 PM

Your doc should have given you a time frame when it was safe to as my doc put it " have anything IN the vagina" mine was 6 weeks. which is in a couple days. after a wonderful weekend in our house we got a little carried away this morning. Thankfully I have had a great recovery and have had no issues today. you better give your doc a call and fess up. especially if you have pain.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:20 PM

HealthyWithHag

It looks like you kept your cervix so you wouldn't have a vaginal cuff. That is the term for the losing of the vagina when the cervix is removed.

You still had major surgery, so even when you are cleared you may experience cramping. The extra blood flow from arousal can put a strain on things, also since your intestines now sit on the top of the vagina they have to get used to new sensations.

As others have said since you weren't officially cleared call your Dr to make sure all is okay.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register