Scheduled for TAH 1/29 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled for TAH 1/29 Scheduled for TAH 1/29

Unread 01-07-2002, 12:10 PM
Scheduled for TAH 1/29

I am scheduled for a TAH on 1/29 and am so glad I discovered this site. It has answered so many of my questions but I admit I am still terrified. I have had two C-Sections so have some idea what to expect although I know this is much more traumatic and the recovery period will be much longer.
I am not going to have anyone who can help me out once I get home and I'm afraid its going to be difficult to refrain from doing things that need doing around the house, since I automatically do what needs to be done without thinking about it. I had a hysteroscopy/D&C done in December and it seemed to take me longer to recover than it should have.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep myself from overdoing?
The surgery is due to excessive bleeding every month for at least 2 weeks and anemia caused by it. I have been on Provera 20 mg for a year and a half with no relief. This bleeding problem has been going on for almost 3 years now and there are some times I cannot even leave the house due to the amount of blood, even standing up it gushes out of me. I had a Dr whose solution was to do nothing beyond the Provera and I switched finally to a wonderful Dr who listened to my complaints and took them seriously. The previous one said there was nothing wrong with me. Thanks for letting me vent..........Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2002, 12:27 PM
Scheduled for TAH 1/29

Hi Linda! Welcome to hystersisters. You have found a good place for support and lots of s. I had a total vaginal hysterectomy (TVH) in Aug. and here's what I did to keep from doing all the stuff around the house that I am so used to just doing.....I stayed in my bedroom and kept my jammies on! I know it's hard...it was hard for me too. (I really did not come out of my bedroom too much as I am kind of a compulsive person when it comes to a clean, neat house) Now, I don't have young children either so it was very easy for me to do that. Get into the pampered mode and mindset beforehand. You may want to tell dh and kids that you will be out of commission for awhile and you are going to need lots of help. You may want to barter with a friend or family member...come clean my house after my hyst and I'll dog sit when I am FULLY recovered! Get creative...is there a teenager in the neighborhood who would like to make some extra money, etc? Or, if you can stand it, clean like a mad woman before your hyst and let it go till you are released by your doc. Do whatever works for you!

Here are some things you may be interested in as a Lady in Waiting.

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...1&daysprune=30

Keep posting and we'll be here for you every step of the way!

Sherry
Unread 01-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Scheduled for TAH 1/29

Hi Linda, let me say first of all...and I'm sure you know after finding this site, "YOU ARE NOT ALONE."

My situation is almost identical to yours. I'm due for my TAH on 1/21, I too have been bleeding so heavy and for so long there are days I'll stand up and it will hit the floor. My doctor is great; this was our last resort, she's tried just about everything in the last 2 years, I even took 2 BC pills a day for several months, but to no avail. I've had 4 kids and I swear there are days that the pain and pressure is worse than any childbirth I ever experienced.

Last January I had a hysteroscopy and a D&C (*I too took longer than expected to heal and recover*). The D&C did the trick for about 3 months, but it's all back, and worse this time. Strange, but I never had a problem until about 6 months after I had my tubes tied in '96. I noticed several other ladies here mentioning that and I'm wondering if there's a connection.

Our situations are similar and our dates are pretty close surgery wise, please keep posting so we can keep in touch!

Barbara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Scheduled for TAH 1/29

I had my tubal when my last child, who is 12, was born and the severe bleeding didn't start till about 3 years ago. I went about 10 months without my period then when it started it was terrible and has been ever since. I was told that after my D&C I would not have a heavy period since it was to start within a couple of days but it was just as terrible as usual and lasted for 2 weeks. I did notice however that after the tubal I started having stomache pains that would double me over every month, after a few years this eased some but have come back with the bleeding. I could not be given anything but the Provera because I have a history of blood clots so BC was out for me.
Since out dates are so close we will be recovering together, and can help each other out..................
Unread 01-07-2002, 07:06 PM
Scheduled for TAH 1/29

Great Linda, I'll pray for you and you pray for me!

Feel free to email me privately too, Balopatin@aol.com. I guess my surgery is before yours so if I have anything to add that these wonderful ladies haven't already I'll fill you in.

I'm just trying to stay healthy, rest up before the big day and prepare my house and family for what's to come. They're so used to me being there for every little thing. Now they're going to have to rely on Dad more (as will I); it will be a big adjustment for all of us.

My pre-op is on Jan. 16th. I've already done tons of "research" but this site has helped me more than any of the books to date. Even so I'm armed with a 3X5 card full of questions. I have asthma and quit breathing after my surgery last January. Haven't decided yet whether to go for the spinal if it's possible, I think I may be too anxious to make a go of that too. It is nerve wracking, but it's great knowing there's this forum full of great and brave women going through it together and helping those who come after with great advice.

I look forward to us helping each other through. Barbara
Unread 01-07-2002, 07:39 PM
I know how you feel....

Hi Linda and others,

When I read your post, I thought it was ME. The only thing different is that I have already visited the castle. My TAH was on 12/10. I can only speak for myself, but my recovery time was MUCH slower than any that I have ever had. It's tough to not want to jump up and do things when you get home. It's the guilt that gets to me more than anything. I keep asking myself, "When will you ever have this much time off again." That's the wrong angle, at least for me. I was hosting holiday family things, etc. 2 weeks after surgury, and I KNEW that it was too much. You body will tell you. Listen to it. I can not stress how important that was for me. One day I thought, "How much can running the vacuum hurt." WELL, it did. Then another I was pushed a cart full of groceries around. Yet, another mistake.

Well, I listened, or at least tried to listen to my body and I think it's paid off. I'm now 4 weeks post op and feel pretty good. I never thought it would come. I do a few things, sit down, get up and do a few more simple things and rest again. That helps for me. At least it made me feel like I was contributing. :-)

Good Luck to you. Just listen to your body!
Unread 01-07-2002, 08:24 PM
Scheduled for TAH 1/29

Hello Ladies

I'm so glad you have found this wonderful site and were even fortunate enough to find others with close surgery dates. That really does help. I had my TAH/BSO in August and can't stress enough how important it is to allow your body the time it needs to heal properly.

You are so much more important than those little chores. Yes, I know, it is so hard not to do the laundry or bend over to pick up the things left around. I love Miss Emma's suggestion of staying in your jammies and in the bedroom. I did just that. After the first week, during which I slept alot, I joined Martha Stewart in the morning and treated myself like the that I am. LOL

I did make sure my house was very clean and ready for a long period of neglect just before my surgery. I just tried not to look closely on my trips to the potty.

By the way, please join us in the Chat Room, if you haven't already, for some other suggestions and helpful hints. We serve warm brownies and even share the Be sure to wear warm slippers and pull up a comfy chair.

Hope to see you there.

Elise
Unread 01-07-2002, 08:51 PM
Scheduled for TAH 1/29

Hi Linda - I can relate to your problems. I had a very severe bleeding problem also, which left me anemic too. One day going to work I got up and had bled through my pad, pants and all, I was sooooo embarrassed, I'm glad someone told me, I got off the bus and called my dad from cell phone, and he picked me up. I'll NEVER forget that day.

I did have a TAH, leaving my ovaries, on Nov. 30th. I'm feeling great!

I also was terrified!!! I mean terrified. This is only natural to be nervous. I can say that now, since I'm on the other side. But to me, it really turned out to be no big deal. They had me on a morphine pump the first day, and took it off the second and put me on percocet. My biggest problem was shortly after I could not move my bowels, so make sure you ask them for something if you have trouble doing so. I couldn't urinate at first, the nurse was so cute, she ran water, and even gave me a pan filled with warm water to put my hand in, thinking that will help. Believe it or not it helped, and it was like a big celebration. I did have some nausea the second day, and refused a shot, which was to make it better, big mistake, I finally took the shot, and the next day they put me back on the IV which had something in it for nausea. It really worked, and I started feeling better immediately. It really wasn't bad at all. Just tell them what bothers you and you want something, and they will give it to you. You'll be fine . . . I didn't even have any bleeding after my surgery, or anything!

As far as you depending mostly on yourself. . . I did everything I could before I went in. I cleaned like crazy! The BEST thing I did, since I am single, and do everything myself, is I took the day off before my surgery, got up like I was going to work, and just cleaned all day, and had everything just like I wanted it. I bought all my juices, water, prepared foods, etc. so I didn't have to shop. I wrote out bills, I mean, I did everything, I was totally ready. When I came home, I could get around better than I thought, so it really wasn't too bad. One present someone got me was a maid service, which I didn't even use, my boyfriend would run the sweeper and help out when he could.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, you'll be fine. Let me know how you do.

till we chat again . . . GO STEELERS!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register