How much time off work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much time off work? How much time off work?

Unread 04-21-2011, 10:40 AM
How much time off work?

I'm just curious how much time everyone is taking off of work? I had a DaVinci "total" hysterectomy with both ovaries removed, endo excision, and my gall bladder removed on Friday 4/15. I'm on the Vivelle dot patch and, so far, no surgical menopause symptoms.

Because of how "less invasive" the DaVinci surgery is, I planned to take all of this week off and then to return to work next week on Monday 4/25, possibly partial days or part-time. My doctor said I'd be 80-90% healed by the end of week 2 (Friday 4/29).

That said, as I near the end of my first week, I'm wondering if I'm actually going to be able to work next week! I do work from home on the phone/computer so there is nothing physical, but my job is extremely stressful and sometimes 'round the clock.' I'm not in a ton of pain, but I'm just so tired and my brain is a big fog.

Am I being a wimp, thinking I need to take next week or at least the start of next week off too? What are others doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Re: How much time off work?

Hi AvalonGal,
I had a RALH/BSO on 2/22/11. I went back to work, a desk job, after two weeks because I thought I was ready. I should have stayed home one more week. I was extremely tired by the end of the day and was suffering from wicked "swelly belly".
I am eight weeks post op now and no longer exhausted at the end of the day. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:05 AM

You are not a wimp at all! From what I have read/heard, you should plan to take more time than you think you need because you will continue to be fatigued for quite a while and not 100%. And stress is VERY tiring on the body. Even if you have a desk job, it is the mental and emotional stress that will impede your body's ability to heal.

I had TVH on 4/18. I am taking a 4 weeks off work and then plan to go back working from home or on a part-time basis for two weeks after that while gradually increasing my hours.

In my opinion, work is not as important as proper healing (both physically and emotionally). Take the time off you need now because you will not get a second chance to take it off later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2011, 11:11 AM

I had a LSH (uterus only) on April 12 and I have to commute 40 minutes each way to a highly stressful desk job. I was planning on going back May 2 or May 9. Because I know that in my job once I go back to work that will be it I have no more sick time to take. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Personally, I think that's a little too soon to go back to work. I'll be 2 weeks post op tomorrow, my procedure was laparoscopic, and I wouldn't go back to work so soon. This is coming from someone who has barely used pain meds, and recovery has been very smooth aside from a couple of normal bumps in the road. I'm more crampy with more spotting this week than I was the first week post op.

I know we all heal differently, but I think that's a little fast for any of us. What does your doctor recommend? Mine recommended 6 weeks, but I begged her to let me go back in 4 bc I'm a teacher and the school year is about to end soon. I'll go back for 2 1/2 weeks and then school will be out for the summer.

I have read about some going back very quickly and some have even done okay, but I don't think you should jeopardize your healing if you don't absolutely have to.

*I just realized you'll be working from home. I have to admit, I've done a little of that myself. If your job is high stress and requires you to be clear minded, you may have to do half days....
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM

I agree with others; i'd take as much time off as possible. some days are better than others, but it's hard to be clear-minded during recovery; also the fatigue is an issue. I'm sleeping 12 hours a night!! I found Dr's tell you 2 weeks you're healed, but you've had major surgery and it takes a lot longer. Take care, do what you can do, and don't feel bad if you're not ready to get back to work. you'll see most sisters need 3-4 weeks before thinking about going back to work. good luck!
Unread 04-21-2011, 01:37 PM

I agree, listen to your body and take as much time as you need. I am almost 9 weeks post lavh, was pretty good after, hardly used pain meds after three days but was ver tired all the time. I went back at 5 weeks - I am a Personal Assistant so mainly a desk job but I only work 3 days a week. Week one and two I only worked til 3 each day but was still so wiped out by the end of my week and til now only stay til 4. In the early weeks sitting caused quite a bit of pain in my lower abdominal area plus in the early days my brain was very foggy. Take as much time as you can, you only get one chance to heal right and I have heard that complications from rushing things can affect you forever,
Take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register