My doc said No Restrictions after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My doc said No Restrictions after surgery My doc said No Restrictions after surgery

Unread 02-14-2005, 02:20 PM
My doc said No Restrictions after surgery

I am scheduled for a LAVH & BSO on March 8. As with some many of you sisters, it could turn into a TAH once they take a look inside. I am told my uterus is the size of a cantelope and I have at least 3 Fibroid tumors each the size of pears. Quite a fruit salad, huh? I also have endo so the ovaries & cervix are going. (had lap surgery back in '96--doc accidentally poked a hole in my uterus so I had a hematoma & some problems for a bit)

When I asked my doc about restrictions after surgery he said I can do whatever I want to. He said I should limit my lifting to nothing over 20 lbs. He said I could vacuum, laundry, clean whatever. I was very worried about all the stairs in my house, but he said no problem.

Does this sound right? One reason I question it (besides reading the posts on here) is when I had my gallbladder out last July, that surgeon said no lifting over 10 lbs for 6 weeks! He also told me I could go up the stairs to my bedroom but to not go up & down the stairs to the kitchen, family room, etc but ONCE per day for the first 2 weeks.

I'm a little confused. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2005, 02:25 PM

It doesn't sound right to me. I haven't had my hyst yet, but I was
told I was not to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup!
Please check some of the other sister's stories, because I haven't read even ONE that say what your Dr said.
Unread 02-14-2005, 02:36 PM

Hi,

If one has an abdominal, vaginal, or LAVH there are many stitches inside that take weeks to months to heal. If you pull or lift before the tissue is healed you may pull stitches and bleeding may occur. Some on this site have had to go to the ER during their recovery because they lifted or pulled something heavy . The initial 6 to 8 weeks is critical in healing.

Here are some do's and don'ts from our Post Op Checkpoints at the top of the page:

Do's and Don'ts

Bored? This isn't the time to re-tile your bathroom or paint the dining room. Even pulling weeds is too much strain on your tummy --so let the dandelions grow for now.

Here is a list of our favorite things to do during your recovery:

organize your photos into albums
watch your favorite movies
organize your favorite recipes to share with your family at Christmas
learn to knit or crochet and make an afghan in fun colors for your couch
listen to books on tapes
enjoy a jigsaw puzzle or online game sites
sit on your front/back porch and listen to the birds
But be careful and don't:

lift anything over 10 pounds
vacuum
push a shopping cart
mow your yard
shovel snow - not even a little bit!
visit your place of employment. (They will think you are well enough to come back to work!)

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2005, 03:10 PM

I have never posted before and am having an LAVH in two weeks, I was told I couldnt go back to work for 8 weeks. When I return to work I am going to have weight limitations. No vacuuming for atleast 6 weeks. I am a janitor so I guess that could be why its so long. Maybe you should question the doctor about your concerns and maybe even re consider doctors. I think you came to the right place the women on here definitely know what they are talking about. Good Luck!
Unread 02-14-2005, 06:12 PM

I agree that you may want to reconsider your choice of DR's. Even the easier to recover from varieties have restrictions placed on them. I would have to question his judgement, and if it was me I wonder about all of his advice.
Unread 02-14-2005, 06:42 PM

You must see another DR before you have this surgery - sorry I am not DR just one who has been there - this does not sound right at all!! take care of yourself
Unread 02-14-2005, 08:59 PM

the only restrictions i had were no driving/heavy lifting for 2 weeks. the no driving restriction was due to being on narcotics and the heavy lifting was to allow the sutures to start healing.
Unread 02-14-2005, 09:45 PM

My restrictions are no driving for 2 weeks, only 1 flight of stairs allowed and minimize using those for 2 weeks, no lifting of anything over 10 pounds for 4 weeks, no real activities until my 3 week check up, minimize standing. The doc was very adamant that I follow these, no matter how I feel, because there is a lot of healing that needs to take place in side of me.

It's hard to do so little, but I am abiding by the restrictions totally!
Unread 02-15-2005, 06:58 AM

Hi
Maybe your doc thinks you will self limit depending on how you feel. Rather than tell you he may mean if it doesn't hurt then do it??
I dunno sounds a bit odd to me. He does realise its your womb and not ya tonsils he is taking??

all the best
Alison
Unread 02-15-2005, 12:22 PM

I just have 1 thing to add to the other post for your doctors opinion. I am a little over 3 weeks post op, and I am still in bed. Still on pain meds, swell terrible after 20 minutes up, and still in a great deal of pain due to extent of surgery. I dont even want to think of driving anywhere, try to do small things occasionally and it always ends up with me crying and back in bed. I know everyones healing is different, but I dont think you will be on the absolutely no problems what so ever list. I would worry that you may be ignored or not taken seriously if you call with complaints after surgery, or pain meds, or any problems.
Be careful, seek some other opinions, trust me, its important that you feel totally comfortable with your doctor, that you could call him with any embarrasing problem at all! You will have a lot of them!
Jill

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register