rough week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-18-2007, 10:55 AM
rough week

My surgery is coming and i am emotionally spent. I had my pre op and my dr. told me she was doing a LAVH (?) leaving the ovaries but taking the cervix which threw me since she told me b-4 that I'd be keeping said cervix since there was nothing wrong with it (LSH). You don't tell some one about a change a week b-4 major surgery especially since it took months to be Ok with the original plan. I was not at comfortable with that. If it ain't broke, don't take it.
After being told the "it's your choice" speech, I thought about it and decided I want to keep it. the way she didn't agree made me feel like where was that choice I was told about? DH and my mom became very concerned about me cuz I began to shut down (not good) My issue is fribroids not cervix.
Long story short, we got it worked outand we're back on the original plan, I just didn't need this right before. I'm still trying to organize everything for my castle visit. My brain is over loaded. I'm afraid I'll forget something or to tell the dr something. I'm blessed with a home support system, but they can only do so much. I'm still alone in this.
Sorry for the novel. guess I had a lot on my chest.
trying to hold on to the joy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2007, 11:04 AM
rough week

Don't you just hate when they try to switch things on you? Aargh!
If the doctor had a good reason, such as abnormal pap smears, pre cancerous cell growth or something like that, then maybe the cervix should go. Otherwise, I am with you! If it ain't broke - don't fix it! Sometimes doctors are far too anxious to remove viable pieces of our anatomy.
Try taking deep breaths and relaxation exercises. They really helped me before the surgery.
The waiting is the hardest part, and it will be done, and you will be back to normal before you know it!
Unread 08-18-2007, 11:35 AM
rough week

Hi Joyful Noize,
We share the same surgery date, only I am likely having a TAH-BSO, depending on the shape of things in there. I have endometriosis with cysts around both ovaries. I would like my Dr. to take it all out except one ovary if possible because I do NOT want to go through it twice. I am up for HRT if necessary. I am anxious as well, doing lots of pacing, cooking, cleaning. I have my bag 1/2 packed and I have bought a bunch of pants for afterward in larger size and will just take back what I don't use. I would write a list of questions now, if I were you, so you don't forget to ask the doctor anything. I asked the anesthesia nurse in my pre-op interview about driving and she said at least 2 weeks, if not 4. I am afraid I will go crazy afterwards, especially when the kids go back to school! Anyway, I am rambling, can't keep a coherent thought for more than a few minutes. Best of luck, hope you sleep well the next few nights. Hugs and prayers.
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2007, 12:04 PM
nervous wreck

Hi Joyful noize:

I am too having surgery the same day and I am a nervous wreck, hopefully I will be having LAVH, but if they find scar tissue since I had to c-setions the dr. is going to have to do TAH. I really hope that is not the case. I know exactly how you are feeling, I'm trying to do as much possible to get ready for it. On my pre-op appt. the dr. said that it should only be 3 weeks recovery and that I could even drive myself to my post-op appt. providing I am not taking any pain meds., I kind of feel weird about that since everything I read says that I shouldn't drive for at least 2 weeks if not more and that recovery is 6 weeks.

Hang in there girl, if you feel like you are really anxious and a nervous wreck you may want your dr. to prescribe a mild sedative, mine did and it really is helping because I was so nervous that I was making myself sick.

Mariel2
Unread 08-18-2007, 05:24 PM
rough week

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang37
Don't you just hate when they try to switch things on you? Aargh!
If the doctor had a good reason, such as abnormal pap smears, pre cancerous cell growth or something like that, then maybe the cervix should go. Otherwise, I am with you! If it ain't broke - don't fix it! Sometimes doctors are far too anxious to remove viable pieces of our anatomy.
Try taking deep breaths and relaxation exercises. They really helped me before the surgery.
The waiting is the hardest part, and it will be done, and you will be back to normal before you know it!
You are right on point wolfgang!!! I sometimes feel like a notch on their "new toy" parade. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it needs to be done. Needing to rest, but not got things to finalize. thinkI'll take the ole laptop to bed
thanks all for the encouragement. I've been a member for almost a week and LOVE IT!!!
Unread 08-18-2007, 05:39 PM
rough week

i think you will be very happy that you decided on the lsh. i have no regrets at all and the recovery was very easy. i agree with you...dont remove anything thats healthy. the morning of the surgery, you might want to ask to see the dr before youre given your happy drugs. remind her that you do not want your ovaries or cervix removed. i made that VERY clear to my surgeon at my pre op and had him write it down. since you already had your pre op, you can do it that morning.
you wont forget anything...you will be just fine. have milk of magnesia at home for afterwards and dont forget to walk around a lot. stay on top of the pain, dont wait for it to get bad to take something. the 800mg motrins really worked well for me once i got home.
good luck..youre having an amazing surgery!
Unread 08-18-2007, 05:47 PM
rough week

Dear Joyful Noise,

My heart & my prayers are with you and your family. I just got the approval today in the mail... so happy.. I do have kids too and we moved about 3 months ago and I think my surgery is going to be around the time they go back and to a new school. Good luck sweetie. We are all here for you..

I just started here a week or so too
Unread 08-19-2007, 10:49 PM
rough week

I am still very emotional but feeling good abour the surgery. Lots of tears and prayers today.
Thanks Dressedupinblue for the reminder advice. I'll be sure to do that.
Getting a massage and getting my hair done. gonna be CUTE going to the castle!!!

Peace and love to every one going in this week!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register