6 months post op-- trying 2 get back in shape | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 months post op-- trying 2 get back in shape 6 months post op-- trying 2 get back in shape

Unread 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM
6 months post op-- trying 2 get back in shape

Hi Sisters,
Anybody else out there struggling to get fit at the 6 month point? Im so frustrated, discouraged, disappointed!!! (Venting!) At about 14 weeks postop I overdid it on my bike and I've had back pain ever since. Just muscle strain, but enough to send me back to the doctor for meds.

Had to start over, just walking. I'm still 20 lbs overweight and I have my high school reunion coming up! Little motivation to get the weight off since BF ditched me post surgery. I'm so frustrated!! Want to be back where I was pre surgery! Even though I'm stretching and walking, I don't feel good enough to go back to strength training yet. working on my abs. Thats the whole problem--weak core muscles. They just went to mush during my 8 weeks of recovery.

My belly button incision still gives me jabs once in a while. Had a few incidents of pinkish tinged discharge (scared the crap out of me at first). Other than that no major huge setbacks. I just am not where I want to be: out riding my bike 3 or 4 days a week, 20 miles or so a ride.

Moral of story: pay huge attention to strengthening your core muscles, abs and back, before and after surgery. I didn't do enough because I was preoccupied with grieving over my relationship coming apart.

The bright spot--I had my surgery inbetween semesters, still managed finish my bachelors degree! YAY!
Best wishes to all my 6 month postop sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Re: 6 months post op-- trying 2 get back in shape

Annalee,

First of all, congrats on finishing your degree!!!!!!!!!!!

In regards to the exercise, the best advice I can give you is to remember, calories in and calories out! You know to listen to your body but, be cautious of what you consume as well. Low impact aerobics is great when you are first starting back. just remember, just because it is low impact, doesnt mean you arent working just as hard! My aerobics instructor says that a lot.

Keep a journal of everything you consume and then revolve your workout around it. If you don't exercise, don't consume as much. Some times I think the only reason I workout so much is so I can eat so much!

Unread 06-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Re: 6 months post op-- trying 2 get back in shape

Hi, you and I had our procedures done on the same day, I am back to doing everything I used to do, I was never in good shape to begin with so I guess being as close to back to normal is good! The only problem I have been having is pains in my legs from mid thigh to the bottom of my feet. I have to get back to the and find out if its a side effect of the surgery or something else.
Hope you get to where you want to be soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register