Anyone return to work after 6 weeks ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone return to work after 6 weeks ?? Anyone return to work after 6 weeks ??

Unread 04-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Anyone return to work after 6 weeks ??

I have basically come to the end of the road with other treatments and my consultant has recommended that I have a hysterectomy and I am booked in for 6th May. I have had major bleeding for years , very bad for the last year or so to the extent that I ahve been very anaemic- have tried Mirena, different pils and Ablation without sucess.(although the consultant did cut away a large part of the worse fibrod during this procedure the heavy bleeding has continued) Although I realise this is my only chance of a permanent cure, a major factor in my not going ahead with the op is work - financially I cannot afford to have more than 6 weeks off of work - I will only get SSP and cannot manage without my salary for longer than that. The consultant did say to me at the start that I would only need 6 weeks off of work , but it seems as if very few people actually do go back at this stage. I work full time but it is an office job - no lifting or anything (other than a phone !!).

Did anyone manage to go back after 6 weeks and manage ok ??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2006, 12:22 PM

I went back at 5 1/2 weeks. I am a K-5 ELL teacher. I did OK until the 8th work day back, and I hit a wall. Mid-day, I became an emotional wreck, but was able to hold myself together and get through the day (we were doing our state testing and I couldn't miss). That night I was extremely tired. I had to work the next day, last Friday, because of testing. Then I rested as much as I could Saturday (my self-employed DH took off so that he could watch the kids), then Sunday was busy with two different family Easter dinners at relatives in town. Sunday night, even with a nap, I was still extremely exhausted. So I took Monday off, slept in, took a nap and felt much better yesterday. Today I'm a little better. I go home, make dinner, and lay in the recliner or bed all the rest of the evening. My DH is very understanding. So is my boss, she had a TVH a few years ago, and she knows I spent 8 days in the hospital, so she was surprised I came back when I did.
Unread 04-19-2006, 12:30 PM

I went back at 5 weeks. I am a cashier, on my feet the whole time I am at work, and I do some lifting. I am not lifting or bending, work 4 hours, and take a 15 minute break every 2 hours. They are very understanding because there is another lady that had a hysterectomy in July (I think) and she is still having problems. I had my 6 week check today, and she said I can go back to 8 hours at 7 weeks. You may have trouble sitting for 8 hours, I have trouble sitting for a long time. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2006, 01:49 PM

I had my incision come open following my hyst and was still able to return to work in 6 weeks after my surgery. I think it all depends on your job. Best of luck!
Unread 04-19-2006, 03:26 PM

i returned a couple of days after my 6 week mark. I, too, have an office job.....I did pretty good, made sure i got up and walked around or went to the bathroom because sitting for long periods is uncomfortable. My main problem is fatigue.....I was EXHAUSTED by the end of the week. Try to come home and put your feet up for awhile or take a short nap. I still find myself getting tired very easily but it is improving with time.
Unread 04-19-2006, 03:53 PM

I returned just after my six weeks. I was actually cleared to return after 4 weeks but because I am on my feet constantly, do a lot of twisting, lifting, walking, and climbing ladders. I stayed out until my six weeks was up.

I am doing very well. I am tired most of the time and do constantly have swelly belly. I went back to work at full-time hours. I think I would do better if I worked a couple of days then had one off. By the end of each week, I am very exhausted.

Donna
Unread 04-19-2006, 04:02 PM

I went back at 6 weeks. I also worked from home at 2 weeks. Though not a lot.

If I did not have a desk job, I think I would have waited till 8 weeks.
Unread 04-19-2006, 10:49 PM

I was told by several friends/family members who have had hysts that I would be better with 8 weeks. My gyn said that I would need 6 weeks off. She also said that when I went back to work after 6 weeks, that I would still be totally exhausted.

I can say that my experience (and I have an office job too) was that after going back after 6 weeks, I was tired, but definately far from exhausted.

Each one of us is different in our experience and our recoveries. Hope all goes well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register