3 wks out, need to get food | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 wks out, need to get food 3 wks out, need to get food

Unread 04-01-2010, 11:29 PM
3 wks out, need to get food

Hi,
I'm three weeks post op from my DaVinci Hysterectomy. I live alone and need to go grocery shopping. Can I push a shopping cart now? (I will not get anything heavy and have the baggers pack each bag lightly.)
Thanks,
Abrianna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Re: 3 wks out, need to get food

I went to the grocery alone the day after my 2 week check up and I did not have any major problems. I was more tired that day than I had been and I was definately more swollen and achy. But no increased bleeding, no bad pain. If you are unsure for whatever reason about going, it will not hurt to put in a call to your DR to ask, even if it is just for peace f mind. I am sure they have had to answer this question more than once. Best of luck to you!!

I forgot to say I had TVH/BSO. Not sure if that will make much of a difference, but thought I would let you know.
Unread 04-02-2010, 07:20 AM

at 3 weeks you should be ok, but I am not a doctor. have you had a check-up yet?

i had davinci as well - had a checkup @ 2 weeks and was cleared to resume "normal" activities as I am feeling up to things, which would include a shopping cart

if you are concerned about pushing a regular cart & they have one available, you can always use one of the little electric carts so you arent pushing... i have used them a few times now, but that was before my chkup...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Hello to you. I started shopping about 2 weeks after my da Vinci and just took it slowly through the store and had the bagger make the bags pretty light. And make sure not to grab a bunch of bags at a time taking them into the house... slowly, carefully... the name of our game for a few weeks...Good luck!
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:45 AM

Thanks everybody for your feedback and support. I think I will go and either go slowly or if I can get a friend to go with me then I will ask her to push the cart.
Thanks!!
Unread 04-02-2010, 12:46 PM

Try and keep it short if you can. When I got my partial a year ago, I tried to resume activity when my doctor said I could. I started bleeding again and had blood clots from the cuff. I know I walked around the store too long. Do short trips if you can and listen to your body when you get tired.
Unread 04-02-2010, 03:50 PM

i've gone grocery shopping & I'm 3 weeks post op on a total abdominal hyst.
As everyone said - go slow, keep it light on bags & items. Take a break when you get home. Keep it a short trip.
Best of luck!
Unread 04-02-2010, 04:05 PM

You might also consider a grocery delivery service like Amazon Fresh, if you're just not feeling up to it.
Unread 04-02-2010, 05:43 PM

I went shopping with hubby three days post-op, ouch ....but by the second week I was doing it by myself and having the hubby and daughter carry them in and I out them away. Third week feeling fine to do it by myself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register