Almost scared out of hysterectomy!!! - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost scared out of hysterectomy!!! Almost scared out of hysterectomy!!!

Unread 03-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Re: Almost scared out of hysterectomy!!!

I would not recommend this surgery to anyone unless they are dying or have cancer, it has changed my life for the worse....I now have ringing in my ears, waking up at night, headaches, heart palpitations, pain in groin, pain with sex, dry vagina, dry eyes, no feeling of exercising..yes I'm in HRT, yes I had my blood levels checked...it's not that easy finding your balance is like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm tired of having a sore vagina, and muscle spasms...I've never had these problems before the hysterectomy, I kept one ovary too keep some natural hormones. I dint know your age or why you're doing it..but I'm 36, I had mine when I was 34....much too young and I think there are other answers out there besides having this surgery that is over performed on women in the USA...my story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2014, 10:22 AM

I was scared also. Had my hysterectomy on June 12, 2013. When I woke up from surgery, one thing that I had not realized, or maybe just not thought of was all the gas that is still in your stomach from the surgery. You feel very bloated. Luckily one of my nurses had gone through the same surgery only a few months prior and she was of so much help in answering all the questions that I had after surgery that never crossed my mind before. It took me 4 weeks to finally start feeling more energetic. The bloated/gassy tubby took a while to go away. I had pain for the first few weeks but it was manageable. Went back to work 4 weeks after surgery and eight weeks after surgery I started exercising again. It's been 9 months since my surgery and I feel fine. I should have done this surgery a few years ago. I did keep my ovaries.
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDove View Post
My recovery was quick and I feel great now. No more pain, bleeding or smashed bladder. Plus I have more energy, have lost weight and sex with my husband is back to fantastic. Only thing I would change? I would have done it sooner!
thank you for the reply! I think that it will be pre op posts for me from now on!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2014, 10:36 AM

You mention a smashed bladder ---- is it because your uterus was so large it was pushing your bladder --- i also have bladder spasms (take medication for) that have been fine until about a month ago when my uterus grew to 12cm ---- then my bladder spasms have gotten worse ----- hopefully it will alleviate that then!!!
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM

Just wanted to update my reply. I am 6:weeks today and feeling really good overall. Only take Tylenol for occasional headaches, as before. Working 3/4 days and walk or do exercise bike 45-60 mins 4-5 days/wk. Dr said no running or ab work til 8 wk check, tried a plank last night and def not ready, lol! Still get tired a bit easier. But really good otherwise. I think it will be a good thing in the long run :-)
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:38 AM

I too was were you are. I have DVH hysterectomy last Friday after waiting a year because of nerves. So far, so good. I am only taking vicoden at night to help with sleep. If you are that active you shouldn't have any problems with recovery. Take your time, listen to your body, it will tell you when it's ready to rest
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacinta68 View Post
I am getting a hysterectomy on April 24th and I am getting a lot scared after reading all of these posts ---- has anyone had a positive recovery?
Not only did I feel the EXACT same way, I actually cancelled mine and had the doctor reschedule it a few weeks later. It's important to be informed, it's quite another to be terrified because of all the things people post online. Sure seems like it's easier find the bad than the good.

I'm 4 weeks post op today from a DaVinci total hysterectomy w/ tubes removed (kept my ovaries) and I am so glad I had it done. I had been suffering through painful ovulation & painful heavy periods for so long that I assumed it was normal. A few months ago things changed, the pain got a lot worse really fast, bleeding became so heavy and lasted so long that I needed to plan my life around it and I just knew that something was wrong. I saw my dr. and she recommended a total hysterectomy. I was so scared. I walked around in denial. I canceled it and I even told her I was probably going to cancel again. I'm SO GLAD I didn't!!! I had chronic endocervicitis, adenomyosis, endometriosis and cysts. I had no idea. I'm so thankful for the surgery, I feel so much better and I'm so happy that my life will never revolve around my period ever again. I can buy white shorts and buy nice panties, it's really a new world for me.

I hope you find your answers or hear the things you need to hear to be able to make the best choice for your life. I wish you the best!
Unread 03-28-2014, 01:38 PM

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op for a abdominal hysterectomy and am doing well. Still at home resting, but feeling well and not experiencing any pain. Try not to be scared. Each woman has a different experience, and may can be positive.
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Almost scared out of hysterectomy!!!

I was scared too. I had mine 10 days ago and I'm feeling really pretty good. My pain never got over a 3/10 which surprised me, I was expecting pain like a Caesarian but it was nothing like that. I'm not up with all the technical names of hysterectomy's. I have 4 incisions (3 of 4 nearly closed up completely, 1 taking it's time but no pain) I had fibroids also and turns out my bladder and bowel were fused to my uterus so had bowel reconstruction also. I think the gas pain was worse then the surgery. Yes uncomfortable but pain wasn't so bad. I have a bit of a bladder infection which is common and annoying! Again no pain. I guess we are all different. My gyno is well know (I'm from Victoria, Australia) as being fantastic. And I can't praise him enough. I did have a sore hip (don't even want to think about the weird positions we must be in) but that's pretty good now too. I kind of used my anxiety and thoughts and got it right in my head that yes if I'm sore,in pain then so be it, that's why we are in hospital recovering, they would give me something to help the pain. Now I'm just frustrated that I feel good but can't do much. I won't risk my recovery but I do want to do more. So there you have it. After 10 days feeling about 90%.. Hope this is a little reassuring for you xo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register