Low iron levels before hysterectomy! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Low iron levels before hysterectomy! Low iron levels before hysterectomy!

Unread 12-31-2015, 02:37 PM
Low iron levels before hysterectomy!

Hello!
Because I've been bleeding for so long, my levels are 9.6 they would like for me to be a 10.5-12!!! I only have about a month before surgery, I also can take a transfusion...has anyone has surgery with low iron?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2015, 07:06 PM
Re: Low iron levels before hysterectomy!

I was in the same boat, my level was so low at surgery time (lower than yours) that I was afraid they would cancel me, but thankfully they didn't.

I was given iron supplements as well as advised of dietary changes to help leading up to surgery which did help a little. Check with your doctor before taking supplements close to surgery.
Unread 12-31-2015, 07:50 PM

Hi pinkglittergrl -

Low iron levels can be a concern. How much of one is dependent on the patient and doctor specific. Talk to your doctor about options available to you to increase your levels, and whether your current condition will be a problem. Do not take anything without his or her approval.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2015, 09:47 PM

My level was too low as well. I got liquid iron injections once a week for a month. This raised my level from 6 to 15! It's hard to obtain results like this with pill supplements.
Unread 12-31-2015, 11:31 PM

I can no longer remember my numbers but I was a long term anaemic and iron user (both oral and injection) prior to my surgery.
Check with your dr and remember to factor your low iron post op into your recovery expectations.
It can take a number of months for your iron levels to improve. I would be exhausted by the end of the day and was in bed by 7-8pm for the first 3mths.
Unread 01-01-2016, 01:23 PM

I just had surgery Weds the 30th and my iron was low. My doctor said my numbers should improve now.
Unread 01-01-2016, 02:40 PM

Hi
I had surgery on the 24th of Nov and they didn't know my iron was very low so afterwards I was very unwell with a tachycardia [ fast heartbeat] and low blood pressure .
I was also dehydrated which didn't help .

My advice would be to take the tablets and get your Hb as high as possible before surgery I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did , I am now 6 weeks on after V hysterectomy with o''s left insitu and although tired my bloods have moved from 8 to 11.9 so still slightly anaemic.

I am still taking iron meds ,eating steak and liver and supplementing with sesame seeds etc

Hope this helps and good luck
ps. my normal Hb is 15 so although 11 would be ok for some ladies its still very low for me .
Unread 01-02-2016, 09:24 AM

Having surgery with numbers too low could be life endangering! The pre-op appointment should be checking that. My original surgery date was postponed because my level was considered critically low! Since surgery, level has maintained. I am getting it rechecked in three months.
Unread 01-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Low iron levels before hysterectomy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amm71 View Post
Having surgery with numbers too low could be life endangering! The pre-op appointment should be checking that. My original surgery date was postponed because my level was considered critically low! Since surgery, level has maintained. I am getting it rechecked in three months.
Do you remember your numbers? I'm taking iron 3x per day but still bleeding so I'm hoping it will at least stay the same and not drop any!
Unread 01-02-2016, 11:35 AM

UGH-this was one of the things that stressed me out too. I was on iron pills, which gave me a constipation preview.. and then the heavy bleeding continued and I was worried so much.. and then I got a UTI that was so horrible and so hard to get rid of-it was literally like a chain reaction of hell right up to the day of my surgery. Yay Cipro. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register