Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-01-2001, 04:39 AM
Questions

Help!! I have questions and I don't even know what they are! I feel like I don't know enough to know what to ask. I am scheduled for surgery Sept. 14. My pre-op appt. is Sept. 6. What do I ask? What will I need to know? Have fibroid tumors and enlarged uterus, extremely heavy bleeding, back pain, killer migraines. Looking forward to getting this over, but don't know what to expect post-op. A little nervous (probably more than I am admitting to myself) And what is a tummy pillow?!!! Thanks for any and all support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2001, 05:35 AM
Questions

Hi Myra, You have time to read from this site before your pre op. Be sure to go the the pull down menus in the home site section, especially the Ladies in Waiting section and read that area. There are different sections about what to ask, what to take, what to expect, etc. You've come to the perfect place to learn all you can before your surgery. Remember knowledge is power, read all you can here to be as informed as possible. Wishing you the best in your surgery and recovery.
Jan

ps: you can come into the chat room and talk to ladies who are gone thru what you're going thru and get good advise and can answer your questions immediately. (Weekdays 11 am to 1 pm CST, and evenings 8 pm - 10 pm CST)
Unread 09-01-2001, 06:33 AM
Questions

Yep, Jan is right...the Pull Down Menus on the home page are a great place to start. Lots of good ideas on how to prepare yourself and your home & family for surgery and recovery...lists to read, and stories from other sisters who have gone through the different procedures.

Read on the boards, post all your questions and definitely stop by Chat to meet other sisters in your position!!

This is the best place around for information, hugs, and support...we'll help you in any way we can!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2001, 06:46 AM
Yes yes yes

I looked under the pull down menu and found it to help me. I just asked about HRT and when they would start. I have Endo and am learning that starting later is better. I wanted to know what all they were taking (everythint) and what to expect afterwards.

I don't have a pre-op appointment but when I think of a question I call and ask. I know that if I come up with anything I will write it down and bring it the day of.

I go Sept 12th so not to much before yours. You will find great advise and help here....these ladies are the best.
Unread 09-01-2001, 05:10 PM
Questions

Myra,

I had a TAH-BSO July 19th, 2001. One of the first questions I asked my doctor beforehand was what kind of plan did he have for my pain management. I remember my Mom suffering horribly after hers because the doc would only allow her tylenol. If it is possible request an epidural. My doctor told me that one of the advantages is that you are pain free the first 12-18 hours after surgery. He told me it was my choice to have the surgery either awake or asleep. Of course I chose to sleep. The sleep is a more natural sleep and less hazardous than a general anesthetic. He assured me that I would have vicodin to help control the pain until I no longer needed it. After post op he was using a cold therapy product called Polar Care. It circulated ice water through a pad place on my abdomen 24 hours a day. (Ice can only be used up to 30 minutes at a time or will cause tissue damage.) The unit was portable and I was able to use it at home. The doctor told me that it reduces swelling and the need for more pain medication. I swear by it. Ask your doctor about it. It can be ordered from a company called BREG.

Good luck with your surgery. It really helps top be as informed as possible.

Linda

http://www.breg.com/products/index.html
Unread 09-01-2001, 05:49 PM
Questions

Hi Myra Welcome to Hyster Sisters. I'm so happy you've found us. You ARE in the right place for lots and lots of support and information you can actually use.

You wanted to know: What is a Tummy Pillow?

A Tummy Pillow is our descriptive for a pillow that becomes our best budy after surgery: it's normally used to press against your tummy when you're coughing, laughing or walking in those early days. Since I had a TVH with Posterior repair, I also used mine to sit on. Mine was very useful as a barrier between my recovering tummy and my enthusiastic 5 yo and big white Tom Cat. I also used it to support my tummy, when I slept on my side - which is almost all the time.

While it can litterally be any old pillow - some even use stuffed animals - it is preferably small and firm. That's because it's easier to press just where you need it with a small pillow and a firm pillow is more effective. Mine is a small travel pillow, however we now have a very handy Tote Bag/Tummy Pillow available from the Hyster Sisters store.

The road to a hyst can be long and bumpy. We'll be right here along with you, every step of the way.

Unread 09-01-2001, 09:04 PM
Questions

Hi MyraQ,

You and I are twins! And it sounds like we are both going thru the same thing.

My uterus is enlarged, also, so it's abdominally for me...BTW does anyone out there know why a uterus becomes enlarged??

My pre-op apt is the 12th...& I'm on my last killer period...since Aug 21. Driving me nutso, just sitting here is very uncomfortable.

I have found this site so helpful, and you need to order the HysterSister book! Very informative and funny at the same time! I believe I received it 2 days after I ordered it!

Take care, rest up, and I'll see you on the other side!
Deb
Unread 09-01-2001, 10:55 PM
Things to ask dr. at pre op

Be sure to get a letter for your employer for how long you'll be out of work. Get all the work things taken care of so you can have your time off without stressing about work things (you'll have enough to worry about) Be sure to ask about pain management and what your dr. will prescribe for you so you'll know ahead of time. Have a pharmacy in mind close to your house.

Things to take on surgery day:

all papers given to you from dr.
insurance card and ID
lip balm
mini pads
toothbrush

And when u get home rest, rest and more rest! It gets boring but you need to recover!

I am 5 weeks post op - hope this helped a little!

Good luck - deb
Unread 09-02-2001, 05:10 AM
Questions

You ladies are the greatest. Thanks for all the answers, but most of all, thanks for the companionship. It's like a great big ! I am trying to stay really busy right now so that the time doesn't drag so much. Would be easier to do without this migraine though. REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this will be the last one!!!Am I being foolishly optimistic? Thanks again girlfriends!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register