Sex after subtotal hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sex after subtotal hysterectomy Sex after subtotal hysterectomy

Unread 11-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Sex after subtotal hysterectomy

I have read here that I should wait six weeks before sex because of the vaginal cuff stitches. But...I didn't have my cervix removed, does that make a difference? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM

I also had a subcervical hysterectomy and my doctor said "nothing in the vagina for six weeks". Even if you keep your cervix, there are still stitches to close the opening of the cervix. Until the cervix heals completely closed you would be at risk of introducing bacteria into your pelvic cavity via sperm or from the surface of a condom or anything else you might put into your vagina. Also, the physical activity of sex could cause internal stitches to tear. There may be some differences between how the vaginal cuff heals and the cervix heals, but the general problems of tearing internal stitches and introducing bacteria into pelvic cavity remain the same.

Are you getting anxious to have sex or are you just curious about the difference? At three weeks post-op I started noticing hormonal surges and wished I was released to have sex NOW! I'm holding off until my doctor tells me that everything looks safe. Thank goodness my husband is also very concerned about possible complications and is patiently waiting.
Unread 11-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Let me tell you!!!!! WAIT... WAIT.... WAIT... You dont want to tear your cuff or get an infection in there right now... WAIT... WAIT... WAIT.... PLEASE WAIT AS LONG AS YOU CAN HOLD OUT......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2005, 06:20 PM

I'm with you Little Pink, I can't wait, it's been too long already. My DH is great about it too, he said absolutely nothing happening until doc says ok. I'm thankful he is my oak, or I would have caved by now.
Unread 11-29-2005, 06:34 PM

Hi Withbecca, just posted about same time as you, also had subtotal H kept cervix and tried sexual activity at week 5 (but not penetration ) and found orgasm painful (see my post lol) Im pretty sure we still shouldn't have things in vagina before the surgeon check up as there are internal stitches, although I have read that once healed penetration may be a little easier for us having kept cervix. Good luck.
Unread 11-29-2005, 06:53 PM

Hi missujenn!

You need to wait until your doctor says it's okay for you to resume intercourse, based on his/her examination and evaluation of your healing. For most post-op women, the "no intercourse restriction" is lifted at the six-week post-op exam....but this varies from patient to patient. Be sure to check with your doctor if you are unsure if you have been cleared or not.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 11-30-2005, 12:26 PM

My doctor never even mentioned sex, it was like - we don't mention that subject here - and I was too embarrassed to ask! I had a subtotal too and have waited 9 weeks and am still too scared to try!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register