feeling of incision opening inside | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

feeling of incision opening inside feeling of incision opening inside

Unread 12-12-2007, 11:42 AM
feeling of incision opening inside

Hi,
I had an LSH on 3 Dec and felt pretty good except for the incision on my left side, until I coughed on 5 Dec. OMG I truly thought the incision had opened up, So much pain, complete with a hot gush of what felt like blood.

I looked at the incision and it looks fine on the outside, but is really painful. I tried really hard not to cough, but sneezed onver the weekend and coughed again on Monday, 10 Dec. It still really hurts and feels like the incision is opening on the inside.

I called and mentioned this to my drs office and he had me come in an he checked the incision. When he asked me to cough for him, I broke into tears and told him I was too afraid of the pain to cough. He didn't see anything wrong and wants me to come back in another week

That left side incision is swollen and very sore. I know I shouldn't complain as so many other have gone through a much more invasive surgery.

I guess I just want to ask if anyone else has felt this and have I set my recovery back by coughing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 12:00 PM

So sorry to hear you are going thru this - coughing is not something we can prevent!

If it wasn't swollen when you went in for Dr to check it - I'd call him again and let them know. Or if you start having more pain, run a fever, etc. - call by all means. It is better to be safe and have it checked again (don't worry about being a 'pain' to them - that is their job -- to take care of you), than to be toughing it out and have something wrong. You have to be proactive and stay on top of it.

In the meantime, take it easy, and keep a pillow or folded towel nearby to hold over incisions/tummy when you cough again.

Unread 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM

I had a TAH and had a coughing fit 4 days post op. That was not fun - the only time in recent memory that I sobbed from the pain. I went upstairs to check my incision right away and it looked just fine. Keep in tune with your body...hopefully each day will be a little bit better. The suggestion for having a pillow handy is a good one - it definitely helps. One good thing that came out of my coughing that day was that I realized that my bladder sling surgery had worked - no leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2007, 06:50 PM

Do take good care, coughing and sneezing were the worse. as tracy said keep a pillow ready . i had horrible pain at my incsion and felt like acid and dr said that was normal. but i would call the dr to be safe if it keeps happening. feel beter
hugs
lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register