Afraid of showers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Afraid of showers Afraid of showers

Unread 04-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Afraid of showers

hi! Me again. I have another concern. I am afraid about taking a shower after mi TAH. How about an infeccion?
And all the shampoo washing my insicion?
I have a loooongg hair and I use lots of shampoo.
Because my surgery is on Friday, I am asking so many questions today!!! AHHHHHH!!!!
Do I HAVE to take a shower with a nurse? Can I ask them to let my DH to do it???? maybe???
Thanks for all your support.
Love, SANDRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Afraid of showers

Everyone is a bit different.

I had my surgery on Friday and on Tuesday I had a shower - by myself, (in the hospital). Your drs will tell you what you can and cannot do - it will depend on how well your incision is healing. They might tell you to clean it after a shower, but I didn't have to.

Baths are different, most drs don't want you sitting in a bath for quite a while.

best wishes
Unread 04-28-2004, 04:32 AM
Afraid of showers

Hi Sandrita;
Until I was able to get up and stand in the shower the nurses allowed my husband to give me a "sponge bath". Of course they were near by in case he needed help. It was nice to have him do it for me.
Once my doctor okayed me to have a shower they allowed my husband to help me then as well. Again, they were near if he needed assistance.
They had a sheet of plastic with tape on the end to tape over my abs to prevent the soap and water from getting in my insicion. When I got home I used a garbage bag for a few days. (Use duct tape, it sticks better).
Just ask your nurse once you are ready she will most likely have no problem with your husband doing it. Mine changed my sheets and stuff while I was up.
Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2004, 04:43 AM
Afraid of showers

I took a shower in the morning of the third day. Did a partial bath evening of surgery right at the bedside with the help of a nurses aide...brushed teeth, combed hair, got a back rub. When I took a shower, the nurse put my stuff in the bathroom, then said to go to it. I even had a catheter yet (bladder sling done, too). Anyway, it was tiring, but I managed and it felt so good to get into bed when I was done. There was a seat in the shower stall so I could sit and then I used the handheld shower head. I even used the shower head over my back and just let it there for a while. My back hurt so bad from being in bed. It felt good...the heat and pulsating from the water. Anyway, the shower was fine, I did fine, and they requested that I wash the incision (with staples at the time) with soap and water and dry it good.
I wished my husband was there at the time, but he wasn't, considering when I did it it was 6:30 in the morning.
The one thing the nurse suggested to me, as I was due for pain medication, was to take the shower first, then get the pain medicine. That way I didn't risk getting too sleepy, or having something happen in the shower...like losing balance or something awful.

Good luck to you.
Unread 04-28-2004, 07:50 AM
Afraid of showers

I had my surgery on a Friday, did a sponge bath on Sat. morning. And on Sunday, the doc okayed me for a shower. The hospital showers have a bench and lots of rails to hold onto, so I felt safe enough. And it just felt so good to shower! You'll be fine, wishing you the best,
Dorene
Unread 04-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Afraid of showers

Hi---I had surgery Tuesday afternoon and took a shower--alone---Wed afternoon. There were rails to hold onto and a nurse call button right there. I was fine. Try not to worry. take care ----kangaa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register