LAVH and ER nurse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH and ER nurse LAVH and ER nurse

Unread 10-11-2015, 07:26 AM
LAVH and ER nurse

I'm scheduled for a LAVH on 11/23 due to my endo and adenomyosis. I'm also a full time ER nurse. Is 4 weeks adequate recovery time to go back to the stress of the ER?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Re: LAVH and ER nurse

For my first four weeks after surgery, I had a lift limit of 10 lbs. At my four week post-op exam, it was raised to 30 lbs. If your job as an ER nurse requires you to lift or support more than 30 lbs (patient collapses?) then you won't be able to go back at four weeks without risking injury to yourself.

Also, how long are your shifts? Many women who start back full-time (eight hours) report that they pretty much collapse at the end of the work day. If you're working 12-hour shifts, that's going to be really hard at four weeks.

Myself, I went back at four weeks - to a part-time desk job in a low-stress environment (off-season tax preparation).
Unread 10-11-2015, 09:44 AM
LAVH and ER nurse

I work 12 hour shifts, at least 2 in a row. I have my actual pre-op with my Dr few weeks and I'm gonna double check my recovery time with him. I have them a copy of my job requirements With my FMLA papers and it says I'm required to lift 50 lbs and anything over requires assistance, there really isn't light duty here in the ER. But I will definitely get that clarified by him at the end the month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2015, 10:08 AM

It's important to be very clear with your doc on what your job involves physically. For some reason (too) many doctors seem to think that women don't do work that involves physical strength or long hours.

When I asked for clearance to return to work at four weeks, I made sure to specify that my job includes handling 30-40 lb boxes in the archives area. My doc said, no, no boxes until six weeks. I ran this past my boss, and she was fine with it. But if she hadn't been, I would have said, sorry, can't come back for two more weeks.
Unread 10-11-2015, 10:16 AM
LAVH and ER nurse

Hi there-- I am lab tech and just 8 weeks post surgery from a lap with vag hysterectomy. One of the lap incisions had to be over 2 inches to unexpectedly remove an enlarged ovary. I also ended up with an infection (possible start of an abscess) at 4 weeks post op! I went back to work at 6 weeks for 4 hrs/day for one week, and last week gradually increased the hours to 7/day. The first week each day I came home I crawled into bed just exhausted! I still did that a couple days last week too. No one at the dr office alerts you about the recovery time and how it varies one person to the next! We all had our surgeries for many different reasons, we all differ in size, fitness, and healing time. You only get one time to heal correctly the first time! I am recommending to my friends considering this surgery to request your time off to be longer than you plan to actually take. It's much easier to get back to work sooner than to ask for an extension -- or worst case, come back too soon and take longer overall to heal. Only you will know when you do too much-- and the belly swells, and lower extremeties will too! It's a major surgery-- they take a lot out of you and the body needs to relearn so much with those items no longer in your abdominal cavity area! Best of luck to you!!
Unread 10-11-2015, 06:01 PM

Hi! I'd just like to reiterate what has been said here. I used FMLA and took 6 weeks leave and for me that was okay. I'm also a lab tech and an RN so I know about what kind of duties you have in the ED. If I were you I'd ask for at least 6 weeks. As they said before, you can always be released to go back early, but it's harder to schedule more time if you need it. I had RAVH/BSO 8 weeks ago and feel pretty good. I still tire easily though and I don't have the lifting and pulling that you do.
Unread 10-11-2015, 06:36 PM

Yall are making me really nervous....I'm an X-ray tech and I'm only off for 1.5 weeks. My surgeon said it would be fine -- and he know I have to life patients. He said he doesn't give lifting restrictions. If it hurts, don't do it.
Unread 10-11-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golliday4 View Post
Yall are making me really nervous....I'm an X-ray tech and I'm only off for 1.5 weeks. My surgeon said it would be fine -- and he know I have to life patients. He said he doesn't give lifting restrictions. If it hurts, don't do it.
If your surgeon hasn't given you a specific lifting limit, then it's all the more important to listen to your body. I tried picking up my 13-lb cat three days after surgery and my body practically shrieked at me, "Put that down!"

Everyone's body heals differently, but it's hard for me to imagine how it would be safe for either you or the patient for you to try to lift a patient at 1.5 weeks.
Unread 10-11-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golliday4 View Post
My recovery was totally uneventful---but I can't imagine going back to work at 1.5 weeks post op. I was still having trouble sitting up for more than 3 hours at a time, then I'd have to lay down awhile. Even though you're having minimally invasive surgery--it is still major surgery and there is a lot of pelvic trauma, swelling and inflammation and you need to give it time to heal. The key words here are time and rest. I might have been able to return to work at 4.5 weeks, but I'm glad I took the whole 6 weeks.
Unread 10-11-2015, 08:23 PM
LAVH and ER nurse

My sister had hers in May by the same dr that's doing mine and he told her nothing heavier than 5 lbs for 3-4 weeks, so I'm assuming it will be the same for me. When I go for my pre-op, I'm going to ask them to extend my dates to 6 weeks because like you said, it's easier to go back early than to try to get more time

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register