36 days post hysterectomy (10/14), Dr released me but didn't check vaginal cuff? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

36 days post hysterectomy (10/14), Dr released me but didn't check vaginal cuff? 36 days post hysterectomy (10/14), Dr released me but didn't check vaginal cuff?

Unread 11-19-2015, 04:46 PM
36 days post hysterectomy (10/14), Dr released me but didn't check vaginal cuff?

Today my Dr released me to return to work. When I asked if he was checking my vaginal cuff he said "No, unless you are having problems which you aren't."

Am I the only one that thinks that is weird? Shouldn't the cuff be checked no matter what?
I'm still having light, bright red bleeding since week 2. Still taking pain medicine. Still having belly bloat.

I'm confused. I thought the vaginal cuff would be checked. He said he wanted to see me in March (next year!) unless I have a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2015, 05:32 PM
36 days post hysterectomy (10/14), Dr released me but didn't check vaginal cuff?

That is weird! My doctor is checking mine at 5 weeks. I assumed we'd all need checked! How does he know it's healing?
Unread 11-19-2015, 08:16 PM
Re: 36 days post op, Dr released me but didn't check vaginal cuff?

i felt great at 6 wk check even though I did still have bleeding - some days bright red. He did internal and said the cuff had an opening. He couldn't restitch for whatever reason and I am now back to very limited activity for "a couple of months." I had DVH 9/25.
Personally I would call him back and share your concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2015, 10:51 PM

My will be checked at six weeks. I assumed everyone who had that procedure would need to be checked. I think it's odd your doctor didn't check yours. I'd call him and discuss the matter with him.
Unread 11-19-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk72 View Post
Today my Dr released me to return to work. When I asked if he was checking my vaginal cuff he said "No, unless you are having problems which you aren't."

Am I the only one that thinks that is weird? Shouldn't the cuff be checked no matter what?
I'm still having light, bright red bleeding since week 2. Still taking pain medicine. Still having belly bloat.

I'm confused. I thought the vaginal cuff would be checked. He said he wanted to see me in March (next year!) unless I have a problem.
I also had a TLH and around same time as you! I had a two week check up(to check my incisions and well being) and then while I was there she scheduled me for my 6 week check up.. When she warned me I would be checked internally.
To me it doesn't sound right that you are not internally being checked. Especially if u have bright red. (They told me if I have bright red to call them) always trust your gut as well- it seems like you would be more relieved to be checked and making sure you are on the right road to recovery!! And I agree with you! Good luck, better error on the safe side.
Unread 11-22-2015, 12:58 PM

I had my six week check last week, and did NOT have the full lube, oil, filter of an internal exam. I asked the Doc if he was going to check, and he said, "Not unless you feel you've been shortchanged without it!"

I have had almost no spotting since the first week, and am feeling great. He looked at my belly incisions, declared them to be fine, and cleared me for everything.

Yeah, I thought that was a little weird, but I'll worry if something starts hurting, or I start spotting, I guess. Aside from being tired, and the never ending hot flashes (even with both my ovaries) I feel great, so I won't sweat it.
Unread 11-22-2015, 02:35 PM

I had my post-op exam at four weeks and the doc didn't do a pelvic exam or check the cuff. We mostly discussed when my various restrictions could be lifted. Some were lifted at four weeks, all at six weeks.

My surgery was for cancer, so I've been having check-ups every three months. When I went in for my first check-up, the nurse said the doc would be doing a pelvic exam and mentioned that it wasn't done at four weeks because things were still "too tender" down there.
Unread 11-22-2015, 04:23 PM

My doctor didn't check mine either and basically released me at two weeks, said I didn't need to come back, but call if anything came up.
Unread 11-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Re: 36 days post hysterectomy, Dr released me but didn't check vaginal cuff?

My early post-op appointment (fell on day 9) was just to remove the surgical staples and replace with steri-strips, plus just a verbal check to make sure things were going okay for me -- not too much pain or discharge, was I eating enough, was the digestive tract working okay, what meds was I taking, etc. Based on that I got cleared to drive that day and was given a return to work date of three weeks post-op (desk job).

Six week post-op (will fall more like seven weeks out) appointment will include the internal exam. Was told that my remaining restrictions will be intact until then-- I guess every doctor is a little different with how they handle the post-op checks/clearances.

May sound funny but the restriction I'm struggling with most right now is no baths until that final post-op exam. Boy, do I miss taking a hot bath now that the temps are falling!
Unread 11-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Re: 36 days post hysterectomy, Dr released me but didn't check vaginal cuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNash View Post
My early post-op appointment (fell on day 9) was just to remove the surgical staples and replace with steri-strips, plus just a verbal check to make sure things were going okay for me -- not too much pain or discharge, was I eating enough, was the digestive tract working okay, what meds was I taking, etc. Based on that I got cleared to drive that day and was given a return to work date of three weeks post-op (desk job).

Six week post-op (will fall more like seven weeks out) appointment will include the internal exam. Was told that my remaining restrictions will be intact until then-- I guess every doctor is a little different with how they handle the post-op checks/clearances.

May sound funny but the restriction I'm struggling with most right now is no baths until that final post-op exam. Boy, do I miss taking a hot bath now that the temps are falling!
I hear you on the hot baths! I ache from no good exercise and just know that soaking in a tub would be close to heaven!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register