Advice needed! Cope with Depression and anxiety | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice needed! Cope with Depression and anxiety Advice needed! Cope with Depression and anxiety

Unread 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Advice needed! Cope with Depression and anxiety

Hi,

I have struggled with depression and anxiety for most of my life. Typically it becomes more of a challenge to manage when life gets stressful. I usually just try to do my best and put one foot in front of the other until I've made it through whatever life has thrown at me. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" -right?

I am a 31 year old stay at home mom of a special needs teenager. I week ago today, i visited a gyn-onc and was told that my large ovarian mass was probably cancer and i need a full hysterectomy... "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" ????!!!!! Well, life hasn't gone on. It seems more like time has frozen. I am not well.

I have spent 3 out of the last 7 days locked in my bedroom. I have no appetite (I have lost 9lbs in the last week-which normally i would be thrilled about) headaches, nausea, deep depression, anxiety, fear, intense guilt, regrets just really really crappy. My house is a mess, my husband is stressed and my son is very concerned. I just cant get a grip.

I made an appointment to see my family doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he will have some suggestions. Are there any others who have gone through something similar? Any tips, suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Re: Advice needed! Cope with Depression and anxiety

Be strong Shan81. I too have suffered from anxiety and depression. I am well and truley on top of them at the moment, however I did have a complete meltdown at work yesterday. Blubbed my heart out and had to come home. The nerves are starting to get to me
Also I note you are my age and have a teen child. I too am a mum to a teen coming up 16 to be exact. You and I were were clearly the rebels in the teen world or as I like to say the ones that got snapped!
I would not worry to much about your home and concentrate on doing some things that are fun or just important to you. Good luck with your visit to the doctor. Have you anyone who can give you a hand with your child. My sister is also special needs and they are very quick to pick up on your worry. You may need a wee break to just concentrate on you. I hope your mass turns out to be just that and not cancer. Chin up and like I said be strong.
Your in my thoughts x
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM

Shan81 -

Sweetie, you have so much on your plate, and I am so sorry you are dealing with this situation. I know how scary this can be. We have a cancer support group that can offer support. I am sending many positive thoughts your way.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2012, 08:53 PM

I also struggle with depression and anxiety. Stress always, always makes it worse. My surgery is the day after tomorrow and I am feeling sooooo anxious. Tomorrow I don't even think I'll go anywhere.

Hang in there. Don't worry about the small stuff - because in the whole sceme of things, that is all it is, small stuff. Go on a long walk (or a short one), take a few deep breaths, eat some chocolate and keep telling yourself you'll be okay.

((hugs))
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:43 PM

(((Shan81)))

The possibility of cancer can send anyone into a tailspin, especially if you already have a history of anxiety/depression issues. I think seeing your family doctor to discuss things is a great idea. The fact that you recognize that you need extra support right now means you're probably stronger than you give yourself credit for. I'm also very glad you're seeing a gyn/onc as they are the experts for situations such as these.

You certainly have a lot on your plate which additionally complicates things. Please do keep in mind that you don't know anything for absolute certain at this point and try not to let your mind wander to those dark places. Many years ago, my mother had a huge growth off one of her ovaries which they thought was OVCA, but it turned out to be totally benign. Hopefully, this will be the case for you as well, but even if it's not, you can fight this. You can do this!

I also wanted to invite you to post on our Cancer Concerns forum, if you'd like. We have ladies who have been there and done that who will help however they can. You are not alone, sweetie!

monami
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the warm wishes and suggestions. I just came back from the family m.d. he was very compassionate and urged me to fight the funk and get back into my daily routines, keep myself busy and socialize. He upped my antidepressants and told me to **STOP taking the o.t.c. sleep aids because they are not always as safe as they seem -especially this close to a major surgery**
Even though i really just wanted to throw the covers over my head and hide this morning, I'm so glad i went to the dr. It feels good to know that i did something about "it" today!!! ("it" being the horrible awful funky panicky depression that in fact is prolly killing me faster than my giant mutated ovary-ohhhh, i like that! I think i will now only refer to it as my mutant!)

anyways, I think today is a small victory.
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Hooray for a better day!!
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:29 PM

Thats great news that today is brighter. Lets hope that everyday continues to shine and that before you know it this will all be behind you

Enjoy your day x
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Shan81

I too suffer from depression & anxiety - however I can't possibly relate to your cancer concerns. You have to grieve AND IT'S OK! Don't beat yourself up for the way you feel. There is NOTHING wrong with it! If you need to cry, then cry. If you need to scream, then scream! YES, do as much as you can of your daily routines, this your daughter needs as much as you do too! When you feel like locking yourself in your room, look at your daughter, what advice would you give her if she were in your shoes? Take it - and push forward. But, know that your feelings are perfectly OK!!!!!!!!! Best wishes...........

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register