Hands go numb | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hands go numb Hands go numb

Unread 04-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Hands go numb

I have this problem of my hands going numb when I sleep on my back. Will this be a problem in surgery? The feeling completely goes dead, I can touch my fingers and not feel a thing. I am afraid the blood will be cut off and cause problems. Has anyone else had this problem? I also have severe muscle cramps due to lasix I take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Hands go numb

Have you mentioned that to your DR? That would scare the beeswax outta me... My legs get numb sometimes when I lay on my back.. but that has something to do with my uterus laying on my siactic (sp?) nerve.

I hope that you DR can help you!!

Unread 04-27-2004, 03:54 PM
I also have numb hands and high blood pressure

Hi There,

I also suffer with my hands feeling numb when I wake up in the mornings. I was initially told by my GP that it was due to being on add back hormone therapy whilst on the Zoladex injections (like Lupron) before my surgery. He said that the HRT was putting estrogen back into my body but it was building up in the blood and causing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!?! It also made my blood pressure go up so he took my off the HRT at the beginning of March. Unfortunately, the numbness hasn't gone away and sometimes I have to violently shake my hands awake in the morning, and my legs sometimes feel numb too. Also, since coming off the HRT my blood pressure has gone even higher and yesterday it was 142 over 96. (BTW, Does any one know if they may not consider doing my hysteretomy if it gets any higher? Normally my blood pressure is very low, to the point I had to stay in hospital for longer after one of my laparoscopies because the top figure was dangerously low. My hyst is scheduled for May 27th - 1 month from today).

I don't know if your problem is due to hormone levels, but I suggest you get it checked out by your GP to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Hands go numb

My hands fall asleep at night too and my doctor says it's carpal tunnel syndrome .. I think it's quite common. It even awakens me at times. I have to laugh about it .. have you ever tried turning off an alarm clock with numb hands? It's quite the feat! I'd mention it to your doctor but my guess is plain old carpal tunnel. I'm a secretary and type a lot so I figure that's why I'm "afflicted."
Hope that helps.
Kathy
Unread 04-28-2004, 03:31 AM
Hands go numb

I also had the numb hands. It was carpal tunnel. I had both hands operated on 9 years ago and have not been numb since. It was the best thing I ever did. My hands would go numb even if I drove.
Hopefully having the Hysterectomy will be the second best thing I ever did. I hope it turns out as well as my hands.
Unread 04-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Hands go numb

Thanks, I have had carpal tunnel but thought it was under control. I will start wearing my hand brace again and see if this helps. Also, will tell my doctor.

It is so nice to be able to whine about things and not be judged as a baby. Thanks to all of you.
Unread 04-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Hands go numb

My right hand goes numb a lot. It happens when Iam eating sometimes and when I'am asleep. I also have leg cramps at night and sometimes just by moving the wrong way. Does anyone have a suggestion why this is? Its all on my right side. I just dont understand why its all on one side.

Tammy
Unread 04-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Add me to the Carpal Club...

I have it, too...but it wasn't that bad until it was compounded by a pinched nerve in my neck. So, not only does my hand go to sleep at night, my entire arm does...both arms actually.

When I lie on my back, I have to raise my arm over my head to get it to 'wake ' up.

I sure hope it doesn't get worse after surgery...then again, it could just as easily get better...ya think? And of course it may not change.

To me, it's just another pain that I've learned to deal with. just like my endo pain...but hopefully the endo pain will be gone in 3 weeks!!!!

s
Unread 04-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Hands go numb

well I do hope it all goes away for you in 3 weeks!!! I willl be praying for you. Thanks for the reply. I hope to have all my pain gone soon to...The waiting is the hard part.

Hugs,
Tammy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register