Question For Those On The Post-op Side | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question For Those On The Post-op Side Question For Those On The Post-op Side

Unread 05-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Question For Those On The Post-op Side

I have 3 children ages 7 & 13 & 17 and they will be very anxious to come and visit me after surgery. Should I have my sister bring them up (it's about an hr drive to hospital) that same day or should I have them wait?? Are you totally out of it? Or can you have visitors? My husband will be with me the day but I dearly miss my children (yes I know sometimes I wonder about that one myself).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 10:39 AM

I was able to have visitors.....But I was so tired and groggy that evening that I did not want to stay awake and could not stay awake so they did not stay and visit. I would wait until the next day for visitors.
Unread 05-01-2007, 10:40 AM

My 2 older girl's came to see me in the hospital after they got out of school that day....I don't remember them being there! I didn't allow my 4 year old to come up, didn't want things to scare her. I was home the next day, so it wasn't a big deal to her. I think it depends on you and how you feel.

Best wishes

Wendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 10:48 AM

Clair, I had 10 visitors all together over my stay in the castle. I wasn't out of it and no one stayed very long except DH. At the castle if there is somewhere else they could go and see, my castle has a big fish tank in the lobby and of course the cafeteria, that might give them something else to do along with a visit to you so they could come and go a bit. I enjoyed my visits and think the time passed much faster with visitors. Good luck with your surgery!!! Lorri
Unread 05-01-2007, 11:11 AM

With my last C-section I was very hurt because my one daughter never came to visit me. I thought I would just ignore it but it just bothered me too much. So, one day DH asks me what is bothering me and I told him. Apparently, she was the first one to visit me, but I was so dopey that I didn't remember it at all. We laugh about it now.

I tend to get homesick and miss my kids when I am in the castle, but the first few days if you are really doped up you won't miss them. I've asked my kids to wait until I get home and if they do visit me, please make it just a few minutes. Oh, yes, and don't be hurt if I forget that you were there LOL.

Liz
Unread 05-01-2007, 11:18 AM

Clairebear~I had a LSH/BSO and both of my kids came to see me and it made staying overnight so much easier! My son is 11 and my daughter is 3. They were not scared, but they wanted to see their mom. It made the night I was gone easier on my DH and mom because they knew I was ok!
I wasn't out of it, but I did throw up while they were there and my baby held my hand afterward and told me that I was ok! She was so cute!
Good luck on your upcoming surgery! Elizabeth
Unread 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks everyone!! Yes I think it will make things easier if they stop up to see that mom is ok - and I know it will also make me happy and you know that saying (if mama's happy) and I do think it is important that they see mom is fine. I forgot but awhile back when my son was 8 I had went just for a Dr's appt but ended up having an angiogram (sp) and ended staying the night in the hospital - he was so scared everytime I mentioned going to the dr's for quite sometime that it was affecting his concentration at school. It wasn't until quite some time after that it came out he was afraid of me going to the dr's and not coming back. He's now 13 and we kinda joke about him being a mama's boy but it did affect him.
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:51 PM

I just asked my three year old grandson if he visited me in the hospital - i can't remember who came and went. He remembered visiting me. Wasn't scared just concerned for grandma. His mom prepared him well ahead of time. I was overnight two nights. He lives with me and I take care of him about 20 hours a week. So, while I don't remember he definitely does. It was good that he came.

My friends on the other hand - I didn't want to see them in the hospital. My sisters did visit me and although I don't remember they have funny stories of things I said.
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:56 PM

All my boys came to see me. 16, 13 and 9. I had just come out of recovery and DH had warned them I might be crabby because I was in pain. While he went to get my suitcase they gave me a shot of demoral. So when I saw the boys I looked and acted like I just won a beer drinking contest! LOL The older ones thought it was funny, but my youngest was a little confused. But he was fascinated by how the bed worked and I let him push my morphine drip for me. The nurse fussed at me and said I was the one that was supposed to push it. I was going to push it anyway I told her, he was my helper. Maybe it's against the law, I don't know. I remember so little about them being there but I do remember that nurse fussing at me about the drip. I know the boys were glad to see me and I was so glad to see them, and even if I did doze, it was good for all of us just to be together and breathe that sigh of relief that it was over. I had a cancer scare too so it was good we could all say a prayer of thanks that it wasn't cancer. DH spent the all the next day with me, went to get them from school and then they all came back that night. Then I was home on day 3 and the youngest was a little distant with me for a few days. DH thinks maybe he was afraid to hurt me, but he's fine now. And the oldest dog missed me a lot. DH said he would lay out in the driveway and wait for me. My car was home but I wasn't. When I got home he did not leave my side for 2 days.

Sheesh, what a novel! Sorry for that, guess I am bored today! I am glad they came to see me and I would bet you will be glad to see them, so I would have them come to see you. If you get delayed and it gets to be late, maybe have a plan B just in case.

Best wishes!

Sandra
Unread 05-01-2007, 01:06 PM

I would have been emotionally (and somewhat physically) able to see my daughter the day of my surgery (had it in the morning)...however, my husband brought her the NEXT afternoon and I had a nice visit with her and was "up" better and felt more like handling a child.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register