Hemorrhoids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Hemorrhoids

Am 1 week post-op (TAH) & having major discomfort from hemorrhoids. Am using colace, so BMs are soft but going is still so painful. Any hints on how to cope? Tried to post in post-op forum but keep getting error message saying I haven't entered surgery date in my profile, which I have sorry if I'm posting in wrong place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Re: Hemorrhoids - not sure where to post

I had them horribly in the last few weeks of one of my pregnancies. Staying off my feet helped immensely. Also, Preparation H, nothing else, no off brand copies, but the real brand name Preparation H. You can use the suppositories after chilling them in the fridge. Very soothing. It's never failed to calm my "rhoids" down. Good luck. Fortunately mine have not flared up during this recovery. I'm in enough pain with trying to poop over a rectocele repair. The hemorrhoids would send me over the edge.
Unread 07-17-2009, 06:26 PM

I must be your twin! The exact same thing happened to me 1 week post op...and mine were bleeding. I took the stool softner before bedtime and inserted the Prep H suppositories after EVERY BM. And, this may be TMI, but I made sure everything was... tucked back in when I put in the suppositories.

It was still a bit painful when a BM came, but I kept an interesting book nearby and tried to ignore the pain while I also remembered NOT to strain to push anything out.

I also increased my water and fruit & veggie intake. Actually those items were really easy, because that was what i was craving. I still have those food cravings!

I showered a bit more often because the warm water felt good.

It was tedious and a bit gross, but after about 5 days, things rapidly improved.

I also starting doing more walking around the house/yard, and I felt better either laying down or standing/walking. Sitting with a donut cushion was okay too.

Hope this helps! :-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Thanks paintstack and wordwizard. I will get the prep h suppositories tomorrow. Have cortisone cream the doc gave me but it isn't doing much. Hopefully as I'm able to be more active it will ease up. Just so good to have some folks to talk to about the problem!
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:21 PM

You're welcome.... I feel like I've been just about the grossest person alive in the last 3 weeks. I guess you really find out that your husband truly does love you when he sees you at your worst. I've had gas, constipation, dragged a Foley catheter around the house in front of him, had him watch me get the catheter put in, he had to buy me Fleet's enemas and glycerin suppositories, and the list goes on. He was never grossed out or put out by any of it. I guess that "in sickness and health" thing was put in the vows for good reason! LOL
Unread 07-17-2009, 09:06 PM

Preparation H is definitely the way to go. I found that Tucks is good to wipe with. It is very soothing. I will sometimes use a pad to keep the wetness from my undies and leave a Tucks there.

This may be TMI but I have had hemorrhoids off and on for years so I have had a lot of experience with them. Hope they shrink soon for you so the pain goes away!
:hugs5:
Linda
Unread 07-18-2009, 05:36 AM

Wordwizard, my hubby's been great so far too, and I have not been very pleasant to him the last day or two owing to this discomfort. Iamgeeky, I remember doing that with tucks pads when my son was born, so I'll try that too.
Unread 07-18-2009, 06:42 AM

I have a hemorroid. I have to wait until I really have to go before going. Mine actually shrinked after the surgery but it's about normal again. I am sorry that it's causing you pain. Mine wasn't to bad all though I have problems when I have a bowel movement now. It hurts all over my abdomen when I try to go. I also am using colace and might continue to use it on and off afterwards to keep the hemorroid smaller. I'm actually embarrassed to go buy hemorroid medicine and have been dealing with the little runt for a few years now. I think not straining really helps because when I strain to push something out - the thing gets stuck. No fun say when you are at work and your stuck in the bathroom because of a crazy hemorroid problem. Lol! I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 07-18-2009, 07:49 AM

Lilyrose3 - Go to the self check aisle at Wal-Mart for the embarrassing stuff. Works for me!
Unread 07-18-2009, 08:30 AM

I too have struggled with them since the birth of my oldest child. 21 years to be precise. Like you, they came back around week two. I was so uncomfortable. I just take a Motrin and the pain goes away. Now, at week 5 1/2 I don't have a problem. Hopefully, it stays that way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register